Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Shiwnath's build thread (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37418)

Shiwnath 09-13-2013 09:16 PM

Shiwnath's build thread

So I haven't really been on the forums lately due to graduating and starting off my career. I've been keeping quite busy preparing my engine build. The actual work will take place later in this month or earlier in the next. Scott (3500Alero) will be doing the actual swap so special thanks to him lol. Here are some teaser pics for the time being.

(Had my iPhone tilted the wrong way)

I also bought HPTuners as well, but I didn't think it was necessary to take a picture lol. Specs on Cam and pushrods are a secret. I don't have pics of the valve springs or anything else as of yet because Scott is taking care of that stuff.

tw0123 09-13-2013 09:52 PM

Sweet Man!!!
I want to see this transformation when it is up and running!!! You have given me a couple inside scoops on this and I am excited for you and am jealous at the same time!!
Where did you get your parts from? Wot or Milzy?

Shiwnath 09-13-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 645642)
Sweet Man!!!
I want to see this transformation when it is up and running!!! You have given me a couple inside scoops on this and I am excited for you and am jealous at the same time!!
Where did you get your parts from? Wot or Milzy?

Haha thanks man! I dunno about the inside scoops lol. My lips are sealed haha. I order my parts though WOT-Tech. Ben has been awesome when it comes to answering my questions. He usually replies within the hour. My cam and push rods only took 2ish weeks to get to my door after ordering.

03Sleepr 09-13-2013 10:51 PM

N/a or forced??...I'm excited lol...

Shiwnath 09-13-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Sleepr (Post 645649)
N/a or forced??...I'm excited lol...

N/A for now. One day I want to run boost. A custom turbo build isn't out of the question in the future, but not anytime soon.

I'm glad people are getting as excited as I am! Haven't seen a whole lot of crazy mods on the forums lately.

tw0123 09-13-2013 11:32 PM

I was planning on going more motor, then found more show parts cheaper than motor, so I jumped... then the s/c showed up on gagt a month ago and well, I was pissed haha...

sleepyalero 09-14-2013 03:05 AM

Haha oh tim.

Good luck man, if everything works well for me, my turbo build is going to begin most likely early next year.

3500Alero 09-21-2013 11:11 PM

can't wait to see how this thing works! too bad that the trans is all ready slipping:( or is it better with the tuning?

Shiwnath 09-22-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3500Alero (Post 646020)
can't wait to see how this thing works! too bad that the trans is all ready slipping:( or is it better with the tuning?

It seems better, but I have a feeling that it's still going to be an issue down the road. It tends to happen when the Trans is running hot.

tw0123 09-22-2013 04:17 PM

Is it done yet? Is it done yet?? Huh huh?? Well is it??? Lol

mfuller 09-22-2013 09:21 PM

Builds of this magnitude take time.
You've made a substantial outlay and you don't want to rush it, make a mistake, and have to re-do something.
Still, count me as looking forward to progress reports.

Shiwnath 09-25-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 646032)
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?? Huh huh?? Well is it??? Lol

From October 7th to the 12th the car is expected to go under the knife. It's gonna be one hell of a week getting updates from Scott lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 646039)
Builds of this magnitude take time.
You've made a substantial outlay and you don't want to rush it, make a mistake, and have to re-do something.
Still, count me as looking forward to progress reports.

Thanks! I definitely don't want to rush anything for sure. I've had years to window shop and to plan. I've been in contact with Ben and I've been making sure to take his advice on everything to make sure I can get a build that is reliable and performs the way I want it to. Having Scott who's a licensed mechanic that works for a dealership was another means of making sure that things go as smoothly as possible. Even at that, I always anticipate that something can go wrong at any time during the whole process. I still have a lot of confidence in his abilities and I know that he'll do a waaaay better job at it than me lol. He's got experience doing this swap. I know that He's done atleast 3 3500 swaps so far haha.

MMGT1 09-27-2013 08:53 PM

:popcorn:

Shiwnath 09-27-2013 09:55 PM

Here's another teaser pic:

tw0123 09-28-2013 10:24 AM

Lol damn you Trevor!! Have you taken individual pictures to post one at a time until build week?? Lol worse than a woman... such a tease haha

MMGT1 09-28-2013 06:30 PM

I used the same exact springs. Did you get all 16 or just a partial box? Be good to keep the extras, I broke 3 in 5 years...lol

Just experience here about springs: Once you build it each day you start it is has to be a 5 min warm up before driving it. I know I broke mine driving hard one night before it warmed up... showing off can be costly dude... :rolleyes2:

oh, and welcome to the world of 6400rpm shifts, its a fun place to hang out

mfuller 09-28-2013 07:54 PM

Why not Comp 26986 springs?
They dropped right in without modifications to the springs seats or valve seals, and they are good to I think .600 lift or thereabouts.
I'll be pushing my PAC Racing 1518 nitrided race springs to 7000 anyway.
Buy yeah; count on a few minutes of warm-up time before driving.

MMGT1 09-29-2013 09:00 PM

If your going over 6600 I'd suggest dual springs man. Your probably ok but if your in there anyway...

mfuller 09-29-2013 09:13 PM

We'll see. Kinda depends what the power curve looks like. But the cam power peak is reported to be 7000-7500rpm, so....

Shiwnath 09-29-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 646380)
I used the same exact springs. Did you get all 16 or just a partial box? Be good to keep the extras, I broke 3 in 5 years...lol

Just experience here about springs: Once you build it each day you start it is has to be a 5 min warm up before driving it. I know I broke mine driving hard one night before it warmed up... showing off can be costly dude... :rolleyes2:

oh, and welcome to the world of 6400rpm shifts, its a fun place to hang out

I got 16, but I only paid for 12. Scott is selling of the rest. I'll make sure to warm her up before I really get on it lol. I typically baby my car until it's up to operating temps anyways. I have a remote starter that I'll probably be utilizing more often to warm up before I go anywhere. I know 6k+ shifts will be scary at first. Especially in a old tired out tranny with almost 280,000 KM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 646392)
Why not Comp 26986 springs?
They dropped right in without modifications to the springs seats or valve seals, and they are good to I think .600 lift or thereabouts.
I'll be pushing my PAC Racing 1518 nitrided race springs to 7000 anyway.
Buy yeah; count on a few minutes of warm-up time before driving.

Comp 26915 springs are a stiffer spring. While they're more of a PITA and more costly to install, they should be more suitable for my build. I know they're going to put more stress on the timing chain, but they should be fine.