Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Failed Emissions Test (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29635)

JunkProwler 11-28-2009 03:45 PM

Failed Emissions Test

First of all, when I got home I noticed on my printout that the tech had entered my car as an Intrigue with a V6, while my car is an Alero with a 4 banger. IDK if that would make me fail but worth mentioning.

Here's my results:

...........................40 km/h...........................Idle

................Limit......Reading......Result.... .......Limit........Reading......Result

HC ppm........58..........21...........pass....|..... .150............7...........pass
CO %.........0.32........0.00.........pass....|...... 0.7...........0.00..........pass
NO ppm.......435.........2036........FAIL....|......b lank........blank.......blank
RPM.........................1386........Valid..... |.....................461.........Valid
Dilution.....................11.90.......Valid.... .|....................9.60........Valid

To the side theres various emissions controls systems, only one checked for my car is the gas cap pressure test which passed. The EGR result says N/A which I dont understand b/c my engine has an EGR. The tech also said my car is running a bit lean. FYI there is no downstream O2 sensor on my car, and its leaking exhaust close to the engine.

Normally I would just get it fixed but I'm laid off and cant afford it. I also can't find work if my car isn't on the road. If I spend $150 on a diagnostic, and it turns out fixing it will cost more than $450 (diagnostic cost included) I can get a conditional pass. If, after the diag, it will be less than an additional $300 I will be forced to pay that additional money. I'm pretty much effed here, so any advice or info would be appreciated. If I have to get the diag I'll borrow some money from my father, if possible, but theres no way I can pay the $151 - $449 if they can fix it for under the conditional pass amt.

jackal2000 11-29-2009 03:09 AM

why no downstream o2?

Nate's Alero 11-29-2009 10:13 AM

i'd bring it back, and say it's an Alero, with the four banger

Vic28 11-29-2009 10:52 AM

Its funny.. one year they put my Alero as a V6 when I had a Eco swap on a 99 and it passed. The Testing station are too lazy to open a hood.

Vinalero 11-29-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic28 (Post 511192)
Its funny.. one year they put my Alero as a V6 when I had a Eco swap on a 99 and it passed. The Testing station are too lazy to open a hood.

And they are too dumb to notice its the sound of a 4 banger... :lol:

A57 11-29-2009 11:23 AM

well swap out your plugs not getting a good burn...

IMO pick up some E3 dimond fire should help you there and put in some lucus fuel cleaner ... and run some 94 octane... also if you havent change your airfilter.

JunkProwler 11-29-2009 02:41 PM

Is the emissions standard the same regardless of engine type? I had no idea, but figured if it was different he would have put more effort into identifying my car (their log book had all my info as well) debadged or not.

I get two more tests at half price, so I'm going to do some more reading and try to squeak past. Plugs and high octane sounds like a good idea. He says its lean anyway so maybe premium will even it out in addition to lowering combustion temp. My air filter is a WAI from ebay; I'll give it a cleaning.

Does anyone know definitively if a 2.2 has EGR? I've been googling to answer that Q with no success but I'm pretty sure i've seen a hose under the hood that goes to the intake manifold area. Not very car savvy, as you could guess. Thanks lads!

a4d2a0m 11-29-2009 09:51 PM

I am glad I dont need emissions testing where i live.... But I have heard of fuel additive that "gaurantee" passing emissions... maybe a possability??

Cliff8928 11-29-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkProwler (Post 511212)
Does anyone know definitively if a 2.2 has EGR?

Not in the Alero...

The only Aleros with EGR are the early 99 2.4s and all the 3400s.

misslindseysue 11-30-2009 01:29 PM

Wow - you're running way lean. A downstrean O2 would help that out. So would fixing that exhaust leak. If you want to up your quote to help yourself out, make sure you've pointed both of those out.

Vinalero 11-30-2009 01:33 PM

I'm thinking about it, is your alero a stock 2.2L or did you do a swap?

If the vin tells it is suppose to have an EGR (like cliff said, 2.4L 99 or every 3400) well that would explain why you failed the test. they test your EGR when you have none lol.

alerogls001 11-30-2009 06:09 PM

I think the strangest thing is they should be telling you what is causing it to fail. Thats what they do here. I failed with my cat and when they told me I just had them do it- granted it was a muffler shop as well.... but still. An maybe you should tell them your car specs like when ordering a part if theyre that dumb: 2000... Oldsmobile.... Alero.... 2.2..... blue..... lol :p