Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Gauge interest (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27757)

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 07:18 PM

Gauge interest

I am planning on buying a three pod gauge pillar pod in the near future. I know that I am going to get a voltmeter or amp meter (either one), a vaccum meter. The problem I am having is choosing the third gauge. I found a shop where I can get them for pretty cheap and dont know which one to get. what do yall think with me having the LD9 and no turbo or supercharger.
Not yet at least. LOL
-Smurf-

Nate's Alero 06-28-2009 07:20 PM

water temp, oil press/temp vacuum narrowband AF

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 07:30 PM

Nate,
YOu cant read can you? I said I only needed help with the third one. and putting an AF ratio gauge on my car would be like putting screen doors on a submarine.
-Smurf-

spyhunter 06-28-2009 08:49 PM

You don't need any of them.

If you really want one gauge though, try this one. It is actually useful.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN2110/GAGAU/...+vehicles.html

heineck 06-28-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475007)
Nate,
YOu cant read can you? I said I only needed help with the third one. and putting an AF ratio gauge on my car would be like putting screen doors on a submarine.
-Smurf-

LMAO get a gauge a gauge with a clock in it

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 09:20 PM

Yeah have one gauge the hour, one gauge the mins, and then the third one would be the seconds. LMAO.

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 09:25 PM

Spyhunter,
I am actually getting the gauges because I think I am cool and I was told that it would make my car gain at least 60 HP if I did it. LOL
Naw, I need the amp or volt meter because of my system. And the vaccum gauge because I wanna make sure I am running right and it would be later used when I turbo.
-Smurf-

hok666 06-28-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475035)
Spyhunter,
I am actually getting the gauges because I think I am cool and I was told that it would make my car gain at least 60 HP if I did it. LOL
Naw, I need the amp or volt meter because of my system. And the vaccum gauge because I wanna make sure I am running right and it would be later used when I turbo.
-Smurf-

Glad you started this thread. I alreadu have a 3gauge pod pillar, I need to figure out what I want... I want a volt meter for sure.. any suggestions smurf I got two more holes to fill;):lol:

mfuller 06-28-2009 10:42 PM

Aeroforce scan gauge, wideband O2 and oil pressure.

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hok666 (Post 475048)
Glad you started this thread. I alreadu have a 3gauge pod pillar, I need to figure out what I want... I want a volt meter for sure.. any suggestions smurf I got two more holes to fill;):lol:

Yeah, I got a GREAT idea... You send me your gauge pod, I fill it with the gauges I want, stick it in my car and let you see how pretty it is. LOL

Naw, I am going with the vaccum gauge to monitor the car while building upon it. At the same time, it will provide useful when I either go turbo or when I steal bdymans air ride. LOL Shuuush, dont tell him tho. LMAO

I am also going with a volt meter to monitor if my system is draining to much. I even thought about the third one being an amp meter hooked into my power cap to watch it jump up and down when the bass hits. I thought it would be cool.
-Smurf-

PappaSmurf 06-28-2009 11:22 PM

mfuller,
I am not liking the aeroforce that much. However PLEASE explain the wideband 02 gauge in more detail. If possible break it down into retard tems. I am not that mechanically inclined when it come to the motor, however electronics is another ballgame. LOL
-Smurf-

Spilner521 06-29-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475057)
Naw, I am going with the vaccum gauge to monitor the car while building upon it. At the same time, it will provide useful when I either go turbo or when I steal bdymans air ride. LOL Shuuush, dont tell him tho. LMAO

A vacuum gauge would be useless for a boosted application since you'll need it to read boost also. It's not going to do much on a naturally aspirated application either. You get to see the needle move up and down when you push on the gas pedal. I'm not really sure how it's going to tell you if the engine is running right.

Wideband O2 = Very accurate, real time air/fuel ratio gauge, not just a light show/screen door on a submarine :p

Redog 06-29-2009 04:03 PM

Oil pressure, EGT (exhaust gas temp, like a mechincal a/f gauge), tranny temp (just got one for Father's day, be putting in soon.

Vacuum gauge is usless on these cars, forced induction and older cars where vacuum controls just about everything (carb, disturbtor, power brakes, tranny shifting) is were it's useful, althought vacuum does still assist power brakes.

Water Temp. Why, when the car already has a water temp gauge?

a/f narrow band is a light show, wideband's the way to go. My narrow band is going bye bye's.

Voltmeter, good to have one but doesn't need to be in a pillar for head's up type display

heineck 06-29-2009 04:43 PM

X2 on the narrowband, that shits a dissapointment and a half

wrestlingandrunning 06-29-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 475185)

Kind of off topic question but on the grand ams they have the numbers on the water temp gauge. Would the numbers be the same for ours even though it doesnt say it?

PappaSmurf 06-29-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 475185)
Oil pressure, EGT (exhaust gas temp, like a mechincal a/f gauge), tranny temp (just got one for Father's day, be putting in soon.

Vacuum gauge is usless on these cars, forced induction and older cars where vacuum controls just about everything (carb, disturbtor, power brakes, tranny shifting) is were it's useful, althought vacuum does still assist power brakes.

a/f narrow band is a light show, wideband's the way to go. My narrow band is going bye bye's.

Voltmeter, good to have one but doesn't need to be in a pillar for head's up type display

Ken,
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is what I was looking for, an explanation of all. So as you are saying that I should go with an EGT gauge, a wideband, and a voltmeter?
I have to have the voltmeter or the ampmeter in order to accurately see the read out on my power cap when my seats are up. Plus it keeps the blue leds from shining on the front windshield (from the power caps) at night.
What is the difference between a wideband and a narrow band? Plus if I am running an EGT, wouldn't that be redundant as you stated that the EGT is like a mechanical a/f ratio gauge?
So what if I ran an EGT, Oil pressure, and a volt meter? would this be a good setup as far as a start for a NA car? I could always sell my old gauges (when I get new ones) to Aleroracing.
:haha:
-Smurf-

Caboose73 06-29-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475272)
Ken,
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is what I was looking for, an explanation of all. So as you are saying that I should go with an EGT gauge, a wideband, and a voltmeter?
I have to have the voltmeter or the ampmeter in order to accurately see the read out on my power cap when my seats are up. Plus it keeps the blue leds from shining on the front windshield (from the power caps) at night.
What is the difference between a wideband and a narrow band? Plus if I am running an EGT, wouldn't that be redundant as you stated that the EGT is like a mechanical a/f ratio gauge?
So what if I ran an EGT, Oil pressure, and a volt meter? would this be a good setup as far as a start for a NA car? I could always sell my old gauges (when I get new ones) to Aleroracing.
:haha:
-Smurf-

The narrow band a/f only tells you rich or lean the wide band actually gives you a number to see so its alot more accurate you can see how rich or lean you are.Id go with a wide band a/f,oil pressure and volt

PappaSmurf 06-29-2009 09:34 PM

Caboose,
Thanks for your input. Also would it be smarter to run the wideband or EGT considering that I plan on putting on some HEADERS (hahahaha ION) and then also changing my pipes to 2.25" from catback into the muffler acting as a resonator and then into the muffler?
-Smurf-

spyhunter 06-29-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475059)
mfuller,
I am not liking the aeroforce that much. However PLEASE explain the wideband 02 gauge in more detail. If possible break it down into retard tems. I am not that mechanically inclined when it come to the motor, however electronics is another ballgame. LOL
-Smurf-

The aeroforce gauge is going to be the most useful gauge you ever have. it reads rpm, volts, tps%, etc, etc, etc, etc. Reset DTC codes, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Ditch your volt meter gauge replace with an aeroforce gauge. If you really want to "boost" someday. Then don't get a vacuum gauge, you get a boost gauge. If you want a useful gauge, oil pressure, is a good one. It's more handy than the oh-shit oil light on the dash. Also a fuel pressure gauge is good, but I don't see you needing that. Actually I don't see you needing anything other then a small led volt readout that you can custom mount in your dash.

Caboose73 06-29-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf (Post 475284)
Caboose,
Thanks for your input. Also would it be smarter to run the wideband or EGT considering that I plan on putting on some HEADERS (hahahaha ION) and then also changing my pipes to 2.25" from catback into the muffler acting as a resonator and then into the muffler?
-Smurf-

Id go with the wide band insted of egt but i agree with spy to put up the extra cash and upgrade to the aeroforce gauge cause that does volts along with many many other readings.