Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "wide body" alero? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31825)

whiterider00 07-03-2010 03:06 AM

"wide body" alero?

so, ive been going over this idea in my mind for a while. i have the razzi kit just waiting to be installed, but i kind of want to carry the line of the top of the kit all the way around the car, and sorta have a widebody type kit. to achieve this, id use the part from gagt sideskirts that goes up the fender and rear 1/4, as shown in my crude outlines:

Attachment 9119
that would be attached to the razzi side skirt. and for the fender, id use the flare thing thats on mid 90s grand prix, also as shown with my crude outlines:

Attachment 9120
obviously theres gonna b a lot of work needed on the fender flares to get them to fit right, and im going to have to probably make a few pieces custom, but itll certainly be unique. at least i hope noone else has done it. anyway, itll b a little while before i can even start this project, and i dont even know how possible it is going to be, but id like to get some opinions, and advice if anyones got some. ill keep the post updated as often as i can.

ccsmith87 07-03-2010 08:40 AM

The trim pieces off the Grand Am will be a great start and should fit pretty decently and the flare off the Grand Prix would be a good base mold to make some fiberglass flares but I don't think they'll look right if you just try and modify them (unless you modify very heavily).

But definately a awesome idea if you've got the time, money and know-how.
Good luck!

whiterider00 07-03-2010 10:37 AM

ya, the more i look at the gp flares the more i realize its gonna take quite a bit to get them to fit. the fender on gp's looks to be more square, and i guess shallower than the alero. but if i can find the pieces for cheap, then ill give it a shot. wud be awesome if it worked out, and looked good(as compared to most of the other things ive attempted).

JD1 07-03-2010 11:51 AM

if your going that route why not just get the fiberglass flares extreme dimensions has and use them.maybe be easier to work with. if u got fiber glass fenders u could mold it together pritty easy i think..

whiterider00 07-03-2010 01:40 PM

i was unaware they had them already. thats kinda where i originally got the idea. one of the guys posted on here close to a year ago that he was doing something similar. ill look into it.

pimpalero2003 07-03-2010 01:51 PM

You could also make them your self if look for bigdaddy on fiberglassforums he made a complete hand made wide body!
Flares he used tape, cardboard,expanding foam and fiberglass.

Silentalero 07-03-2010 02:13 PM

/\ ditto, i was just gonna mention that. Dont frankenstein it. Just do it right with foam.

whiterider00 07-03-2010 08:26 PM

probly be even easier that way. ill look into it when ive got the time/money to start the project.

bdyman 07-03-2010 09:35 PM

i would do it with metal but thats just me, you could do the whole foam and fiberglass thing, but for me i perfer doing fab work out of metal

Redog 07-03-2010 10:09 PM

^^ Yeah but your a pro at this kind of stuff, the rest of us have to pay ;)

pimpalero2003 07-03-2010 11:20 PM

Tools to do it in metal unless you know someone that has them kinda sol. Hell I know only one person with a wheel.

kwhauck 07-04-2010 09:55 AM

what is the point of doing a widebody?

whiterider00 07-04-2010 02:20 PM

i just like how it looks. looks like true widebody kits on other cars help with aerodynamics and air flow to brakes and stuff. this obviously wouldnt be a real widebody kit, just for looks.

kwhauck 07-05-2010 06:09 PM

oh ok, I personally after going for the all show on my first alero, will never do it again, especially for a daily driver. However, good luck!!! it is a serious project

whiterider00 07-05-2010 07:44 PM

ya its going to be. that is until i realize it gonna take too much time and/or money and trash the idea. hasnt happened yet tho.

whiterider00 07-08-2010 03:20 AM

so, havent been able to really find any gp fender moldings locally or on ebay or craigslist. seen a couple, but they are a lot more expensive than i thought it would be. i happened to come across these, and was just wondering if it was worth the money. the price each for the grand prix moldings was anywhere from $30-70, so this might be about the same.

pimpalero2003 07-08-2010 06:14 AM

Make your own or buy universal!!!!!!!!

whiterider00 07-08-2010 12:26 PM

ya. when i get the money, ill probly go for those. gonna get the razzi kit molded on in the mean time.

whiterider00 12-04-2010 02:42 AM

kinda forgot about this whole idea, but began thinking about it again. i dont think im gonna do what i orginally planned, but i may still do at least the sideskirts.
my razzi sides fit like shit, and look a bit too bulky for my taste. im thinking about switching them for gagt skirts that have been cut down so the top edge follows the same line as the top edge of the razzi kit. still b a little bit of work, but not nearly as much as that widebody idea i had.
just brainstorming right now, but id like to see what it looks like. if anyone feels like photoshopping it for me that wud b cool. i have no talent in that area, and no software to do it.
thats the end of my rambling.

BlueLego 12-04-2010 12:51 PM

were you successful in this widebody setup?? i'm real interested in what people have done as far as widebody. i love the way that stuff looks but they don't make anything like it for the alero. my alero is a 4 door and they don't sell any good GA ones. only for the 2 door