Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Auto vs. Manual (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37029)

[ion] C2 04-16-2013 05:29 PM

Auto vs. Manual

My 246,000 mile transmission is on its last leg.

Do I replace it with another regular lower mileage automatic? ($125-150 + labor if I don't do it)

Do I go through the hassle/$$$ of swapping over a Getrag F23 and the new pedals, cables, shifter, axles and all the other related stuff that I don't even know about because I'm not a trans guy. If so, I'm going to need a list of EVERY part I need to source.

JLw7123 04-16-2013 05:35 PM

I would just get a tranny and just build it.

sleepyalero 04-16-2013 05:52 PM

real men drive stick. the getrag would hold up to your power very nicely.

plus manuals give you a little more power gain then an auto would.

03glgold 04-16-2013 06:00 PM

really it depends on how soon you think you will replace the body...if it won't be long then the swap is more work than it is worth...If it will be a while then I say go manual...best I could see is if a nice manual swap car came up for you so you didn't have to do a tranny swap at all.

In other news, there is a 2000 5speed for sale in my hometown...might have to try that out this weekend

AleroB888 04-16-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 637846)
real men drive stick. the getrag would hold up to your power very nicely.

plus manuals give you a little more power gain then an auto would.

haha, have you learned to power shift it yet?

I could shift my old 442 4-speed without the clutch with the Competition Plus shifter in it. Of course the trans only lasted 2 years with that kind of abuse.

Man I'd like to have that one back. :p

sleepyalero 04-16-2013 06:41 PM

power shifting is TERRIBLE for the transmission.

03gxeco 04-16-2013 07:03 PM

ion, just get the Heavy duty tranny from a pontiac grand prix GTP :) the slave cylinder on the f23 is a pain in the rooster to replace.

AleroB888 04-16-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 637860)
power shifting is TERRIBLE for the transmission.

Let me drive it once, once won't hurt it :awesome:

03glgold 04-16-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03gxeco (Post 637866)
ion, just get the Heavy duty tranny from a pontiac grand prix GTP :) the slave cylinder on the f23 is a pain in the rooster to replace.

probably not any more difficult than the slave cylinder on any other manual, you just didn't have the right stuff to do it...manual over auto all day every day

colonel6632 04-16-2013 08:57 PM

lovin my manual. but first gear is very steep, so the power you make, first gear will be useless

billytheman1188 04-16-2013 09:31 PM

REBUILT auto ftw. Who wants to shift all the time!? Lol. I'll take precise shifting over stick anyday. While others r shifting trying to catch up you can be worry free ;)

sleepyalero 04-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroB888 (Post 637867)
Let me drive it once, once won't hurt it :awesome:

No way! Not letting anyone drive it lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel6632 (Post 637874)
lovin my manual. but first gear is very steep, so the power you make, first gear will be useless

On my f40 first gear is 0-30mph. Very quick gear to start out at WOT. pedal to the floor you almost immediately have to go to 2nd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 637876)
REBUILT auto ftw. Who wants to shift all the time!? Lol. I'll take precise shifting over stick anyday. While others r shifting trying to catch up you can be worry free ;)

Depends on the driver... I don't mind shifting all the time, it doesn't bother me, it's actually more fun then just sitting there.

Also doesnt matter between an auto and a manual, if you're good at driving a stick, you can easily change gears almost just as fast if not maybe a tad faster then the auto. Remember.. It's not the car, it's the driver behind the wheel.

Oldsman 04-16-2013 10:28 PM

The manual will be quicker but the auto will give constant E.T.s

If you build an auto right it can handle the power. It is more costly up front.

In the manual you can still tear it up. You have to have a damn good clutch and watch your half axles especially if you launch too hard.

03Sleepr 04-16-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 637876)

Your lady parts are showing..

xXManwhoreXx 04-16-2013 11:25 PM

This is closer than I expected.. manual all day man. Think about the tail of the dragon with a standard trans. Downshift into the corner right at the bottom of the power band stomp the gas as you slingshot out of the corner, your bov letting out a hiss as you slam into third slowly build back boost and as your wastegate lets out a death scream your turbo bolts break and your car breaks again

Seriously man.. you drive a race car... stop being a kitty and get something that will
a. Be more fun for you
b. Work better
c. Not need anything but a new clutch every couple years

Plus I know you don't care.. but more people outside of the alero community would respect your shit

sleepyalero 04-17-2013 12:54 AM

Agreed wouldn't you rather choose which gear you want to be in instead of mash the pedal, wait for the downshift then go.

You could hold your speed put it in a gear sit at like 3500-4000k rpms then mash it, wait for the shift point, BAM slam your next gear.

kwhauck 04-17-2013 08:03 AM

just for the fun factor, manual

Mike The Canadian 04-17-2013 08:52 AM

Manuals are fun, but I personally don't think I'd ever be able to shift faster than my auto; some of you guys need a tune to really see how fast this thing can and does shift.

There is NO wait for a downshift, when it upshifts it's immediatley going in the next gear.. Hell when it shifts you can see the speedo jerk up at-least 5km/h on a hard shift; much like a manual...

I like both and have driven both but for daily use, and even speed of shifting I gotta go with the auto.. The available manuals tend to have better FDR's which in-turn produce faster acceleration though... these autos have TALL gears.

[ion] C2 04-17-2013 12:28 PM

Ya shifts are fast currently. I'll probably just put a replacement in here becuase it'd be the cheap and easy way. I don't need anything special and don't really feel like forking out more cash/work than I need to in my current situation.

If they were both the same time/cost to install, I'd go with the manual just to try it.

sleepyalero 04-17-2013 12:31 PM

should still go manual anyway, you'd like it.