Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   alero recall (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38132)

Papa Rad17 09-16-2014 12:15 PM

I just got my letter today. They are literally just adding a key ring and putting a cover on the ignition modual from the sounds of it. Parts and dealers will be ready on Oct 1st. Kinda cool to get some mail with the Olds logo on it, considering theres not much of that going around anymore.

jawa 09-18-2014 06:37 PM

got mine today

Shiwnath 09-18-2014 08:22 PM

I was at my local GM dealer today and the service guy said that they might just put an insert into the key ring hole on the car key to make the key ring hole smaller in order to reduce movement of the keyring (I hope that makes sense). The fix wont be ready until October around here, so I'm not 100% sure how accurate that is.

Papa Rad17 09-19-2014 01:41 PM

^that what I got from the letter

aleros_eat_rice 09-26-2014 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to wiggle my key to get it to turn. If they put it on mine before I get a new cylinder,I won't be able to start it.
But I finally got it.
Edit: looked up a switch
Surprisingly, rockauto wasn't the cheapest. Their cheapest is like $102+ship. Another website I found has the switch with keys, already coded (will likely need relearn procedure and a scanner which I already have) and it's $51.25 with free shipping. Here's the link for anyone else who needs one.

Papa Rad17 10-31-2014 08:28 PM

Got this done today with the brakes and they did a recall for "OBD system software" as well. The key is is literally just two little rings and an insert to keep them centered in the key. I will post up a picture sometime.

aleros_eat_rice 10-31-2014 09:15 PM

OBD system software recall?

03glgold 11-01-2014 09:40 AM

IIRC the OBD system software thing isn't an official recall and is ecotec only. It is a recommended TSB that would have been replaced under the emissions warranty, but since when I checked into it my car was over 10 years old and had 170k they wanted $95 to hook the car up to the Tech II for like 45 minutes.

Papa Rad17 11-01-2014 10:16 PM

I think he turned off my 02 sensor codes! They should have went the other day but still nothing. I mean, he was under there and saw the damn thing doesnt even have a spot in the new pipe so I'm not complaining, I just want to know for sure.

zzyzzx 11-07-2014 01:13 PM

Anyone get the recall done yet? I'd like to see pictures of this "fix".

That and they are giving out $25 gift cards to anyone who brings in their car before Jan, because so many people are not impressed with this "fix".

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...104-story.html

General Motors is offering $25 gift cards to owners of recalled vehicles to encourage them to visit their dealers and get defective parts repaired or replaced.

The company last week began sending notices to "several hundred thousand" vehicle owners, a company officer said.

The letters offer a $25 gift card to Starbucks, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Applebee's, Red Robin, AMC Theatres or Bass Pro Shops.

The letters are going to people who have received recall notices but have not had their vehicles inspected, said Ryndee Carney, GM's manager of cross brand communicatons.

"There are several hundred thousand people who have taken no action whatsoever," Carney said. "They haven't seen their dealers, even though they have been contacted by us repeatedly."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...-jan/18646465/

GM extends gift card deadline to Jan. 1
General Motors is extending the deadline until Jan. 1 on a $25 gift card offer to owners who have not responded to the recall of cars equipped with defective ignition switches.

The company has replaced the defective components on more than 1.2 million of the cars, mostly Chevrolet Cobalts, HHRs and Saturn Ions and Skys from model years 2003 through 2007. That's about half of the vehicles covered for the ignition switch recall.

As an incentive to those who haven't yet brought their cars to dealers, GM last month mailed letters offering a gift card to one of seven participating retailers if they brought the car in by Dec. 1. They now have an extra month.

"Dealers asked us to do that," said GM spokeswoman Ryndee Carney. Dealers were concerned that the earlier deadline could create a traffic crunch in their service departments.

Did any of you get a letter about this? I did not get and $25 offer.

Garfield 11-07-2014 01:19 PM

I haven't received any notice of the $25 offer, maybe it only applies to the models getting new ignition switches, not people like us that just get a crappy paste on. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen what they are doing for Aleros but it sounds horrible.)

zzyzzx 11-07-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield (Post 658226)
I haven't received any notice of the $25 offer, maybe it only applies to the models getting new ignition switches, not people like us that just get a crappy paste on. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen what they are doing for Aleros but it sounds horrible.)

The only other thing I could find on the internet about this with respect to the Alero was someone else stating that the offer is not applicable:
http://whotv.com/2014/11/05/is-your-...-25-gift-card/
My Olds Alero was just in the dealership for this recall. I called them and was told my recall didn’t qualify for the gift card. The recall notice said for the ignition and was rectal #14350. Is my dealership just jerking me around?

Nas Escobar 11-08-2014 02:46 PM

This is what the fix is on the legacy platforms (the non greek alphabet platforms).

Anything that's not the Cobalt and the other Delta cars that doesn't have an eared key cylinder will be getting that fix. It's basically a piece of plastic that glues in to your current key and prevents the weight of your keychain to pull the key towards the bottom. At least that's what the theory behind this is.

The N body cars (Malibu, Alero, Grand Am) and the W body cars (Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Intrigue) will be getting this fix.

The Cobalt, HHR, G5 and Ion are getting the new key cylinders.

There is no real reason to take a legacy GM car to get the "fix" It's a stupid fix anyways. They will not be fixing your ignition key problems, something that has been known to be bad since VATS (the pellet keys). A bit of a background on that statement - VATS is also known for disabling your car. Sometimes the resistor in the key is bad, sometimes it's the key cylinder itself. It's basically the same issue that the N bodies have with Passlock.

For all of you guys who have sticking key cylinders, loose key cylinders, or the key simply comes out, your fix is on your dime, because GM is not recognizing that their key cylinders are the real culprits. Anyone with the "security" light won't be getting their issue fixed either.

GM will not be replacing the whole ignition key unless someone presses that the issue goes back to the days when they got rid of the eared ignitions. This is why the Buick Regal and Century are not part of the recall. They have eared ignitions. I believe the 1997-2003 Grand Prix isn't a part either.

zzyzzx 11-10-2014 01:41 PM

Great post Nas Escobar! Anyway, I did some searching on the Grand Am forums, and nobody there is taking their car in for this questionable "fix" either.

Papa Rad17 11-10-2014 06:51 PM

X2. I'm not taking my other key in. The one thats on my chain is 'fixed' because why not, but this is completely pointless.

Nas Escobar 11-12-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzyzzx (Post 658279)
Great post Nas Escobar! Anyway, I did some searching on the Grand Am forums, and nobody there is taking their car in fir this questionable "fix" either.

Thanks. Wouldn't want to see people waste their time on nonsense. The Jeep recall is a better waste of time. You get a free trailer hitch.

Both my GM cars have the eared ignitions. I don't have to worry about this issue.

jawa 11-12-2014 11:16 PM

im gunna take mine in because both my key loops are busted

Oldsman 11-13-2014 09:26 AM

i got mine too. my 15 year old car has a recall.....WTF.......too funny

I cant take my car in for this due to being on jack stands and gutted.

when it is done the dealership probably wont touch car and if they do they wil have to do it with me standing right there and they will have to sign a waiver stating the screw anything up the will be 100% responsible and will not press any charges if I beat the crap out of service tech.

aleros_eat_rice 11-13-2014 12:35 PM

I called the dealer and asked about it. When they described what exactly they do, I asked "So, you're not actually fixing the problem, you're just putting a band aid on it?"
The dealer responded with "Correct."
To be specific, this was Hudgins Holiday Chevy Cadillac service dept.

paul ron 02-15-2015 01:00 PM

This is such a bs recall! They should have recalled that stupid security thing instead! Thats been a pita since i bought the car.