Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Back again with another project (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30291)

bkathsalero 01-27-2010 05:22 PM

Back again with another project

So first off it's nice to be back on Aleromod. I wasn't on here long enough B4 to really build a name for myself but anyways.

So if anybody really remembers me u will remember I have a way of coming up with different ideas, (not all that work) on just about anything. So my current project is a Fuel efficient 3.4 with "cylinder selection" you might say.

So I came across an alero with 112,XXX miles with a bad head gasket for $450. So I bought it. Replaced head gasket, and started thinking: So here we go

I drive 100 miles a day. I use alot of gas. So I decided I would test run the idea of turning this 3.4 into a 3 banger at any given point. The way I I first tested the idea was by pulling spark from 1,3,5 and open stream o2. Started the car and drove it an it ran like a slow riceburner. Still had power but nothing to brag about by any means. No bucking, No stalling, only issue is at and idle the alternator has trouble charging the battery. but I don't plan to idle on 3 cyl

So the plan is to run switches into the car for all 6 cylinders. Controlling the spark signal and injector signal. At any time I can shut Either bank 1 or 2 of to "help save Gas" Like I said the car runs fine on only one bank. On a trip to work N-bound I would run bank 1 and home S-bound bank 2 to "equal wear" And at any given point for need of power I can switch the other bank on.

The issues:
(1)I have not figured out my top speed. I'm hoping for 60mph (I figure this with no math, just the idea of the car hitting 120 on 2 banks, so 60 sounds like a shot in the dark)

(2) No guarantee this will save gas and not just blow the motor.

So there is the idea. I will let you know how it goes.

BTW. I'm sure if I remember Aleromod correctly I will be HATED for this. No worries though as it is just a spare car. And if it doesn't work it just means cheap alero parts for the n-body community. I do this as a mad mechanic who learns crazy things through trial and error

Vic28 01-27-2010 05:40 PM

Welcome back :popcorn:

20alero02 01-27-2010 05:45 PM

Ill be interested to see how this works out. Good luck with it!

bkathsalero 01-27-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks- Just realized I got to snap a picture of my car, My sig is way out dated now esp with those ugly GA wheels :lol:

Philbar71 01-27-2010 06:11 PM

Hmm, why only have one bank firing? why not like 1,5 and 4 firing.

But I think it will be hard to see a huge fuel increase with only 3 cylinders running. Having those other 3 cylinders not doing any thing will only add extra stuff for the engine to move around.

Neat idea. Good luck :D

bkathsalero 01-27-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philbar71 (Post 522545)
Hmm, why only have one bank firing? why not like 1,5 and 4 firing.

But I think it will be hard to see a huge fuel increase with only 3 cylinders running. Having those other 3 cylinders not doing any thing will only add extra stuff for the engine to move around.

Neat idea. Good luck :D

Running two banks on only 3 cylinders would cause bad balance and poor drivability. In the manner I'm going I'm just basically just running an inline 3

cherrington17 01-27-2010 06:38 PM

interesting. for a cheap car.. why not go all mad scientist on it... :lol:

i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this (not for personal interest, but definite curiosity)

I bet some motor heads on here (if they can keep a open mind) will be able to assist you on this.

jayson_waltz 01-27-2010 06:50 PM

sounds cool, but you are shutting off fuel delivery also right? or else you'll be washing those cylinders horrible. If you are it should in theory work.

Philbar71 01-27-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkathsalero (Post 522553)
Running two banks on only 3 cylinders would cause bad balance and poor drivability. In the manner I'm going I'm just basically just running an inline 3

Ahh, interesting. I have no experience with cylinder disabling, so your the expert ;)

bkathsalero 01-27-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayson_waltz (Post 522559)
sounds cool, but you are shutting off fuel delivery also right? or else you'll be washing those cylinders horrible. If you are it should in theory work.

Yes injector pulse and spark pulse would both be disabled

widbyj 01-27-2010 09:06 PM

This may work pretty well, IMO. By disabling spark and fuel you are creating a 3-cyl air compressor/pump which should be minimal drag and non-damaging. My son has a caddy with NorthStar engine and it does something similar, for other reasons. We saw his go into "Limp Home" mode one day after massive coolant loss. Note that these engines use 8 quarts of oil! Anyhow, when coolant loss is detected the rear bank is disabled, speed is limited to 45mph and both cooling fans run at high speed. He was able to drive 50 miles home this way with no further damage (engine temp went down due to oil as coolant). I think you'll be ok but it may vibrate too much cause of being a six. Running four cylinders might balance banks 1&2 better.... now I'm rambling, sorry!

Good experiment! Good luck! Keep us posted please...

jayson_waltz 01-28-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widbyj (Post 522589)
Note that these engines use 8 quarts of oil!

hate to thread jack, but they actually hold 7.
So its that what the trailblazers also do when they do into "reduced power mode" when they detect something wrong? I always thought it was just a computer controlled thing not actually cylinder deactivation.

AZFire316 01-28-2010 05:38 AM

I tried that once on my old Maxima, made the exhaust sound like a Subaru Impreza lol.

JLw7123 01-28-2010 07:52 PM

welcome back good luck

Ttop191 01-28-2010 08:31 PM

hmmz, interesting idea, but maybe in stead of 3, why not dissable the middle 2 cyl and make it a 4-banger? just an idea, would keep it more balanced i think

BlackJack 01-28-2010 10:38 PM

I think it's a great idea in theory. I hope you get it working.

tnalero99 01-29-2010 01:42 AM

Sounds like a good idea if it works. One concern I would also not be sure of is how the difference in fuel may or may not mess with the PCM settings. Something like will the air/fuel ratio vary too much to cause it to throw codes.

Weazel 01-29-2010 03:42 AM

Why don't you just do a motor swap with a Metro?

CBLOHM3400 01-29-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weazel (Post 522900)

there is now fun in that
good luck I will be following this till the end

cherrington17 01-29-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weazel (Post 522900)

because he only wants a low power cruise option. NOT a permanent low power option.