Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Violent Shaking on Highway (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38605)

Chris2000 01-14-2016 11:39 AM

Violent Shaking on Highway

Hi guys.

This has happened 3 times now in the last 3 months. While driving on the highway anywhere from 55-70 my car sometimes randomly starts to shake violently, to the point where I need to move over and slow down to let things calm down before accelerating back to speed. The shaking lasts maybe 2 minutes at most using this method.

Ideas are: unbalanced tires, calipers sticking after tapping brakes, hub assembly? (My anti-lock and brake light has been on for 4 years now), rotors.

Is there anyway I can pinpoint the issue or at least get a better idea the next time this happens. I have read some crap about throwing the car in neutral when it starts to determine if it is related to the brakes, but I will not be putting myself in neutral on the highway.

Thoughts, ideas...all welcome

S8track16 01-15-2016 12:40 PM

I had a ton of ice buildup on the inside of my tires a couple times and that caused my car to shake like crazy. It was so bad I had to pull over and chop it out.

sleepyalero 01-15-2016 02:56 PM

Yeah check for ice if there is snow in your area. Wheels being packed with ice and snow will throw it off balance.

Chris2000 01-17-2016 08:39 AM

I will check but I doubt it. We've been pretty lucky here so far, really no snow to worry about.

It happened yesterday on my way home, and continued in stop and go traffic. I let it coast without touching the pedal and the car would crawl a bit, slow down kinda felt like dragging and then crawl more.

falloutboy 01-17-2016 12:53 PM

Does it get worse if you speed up? Or does the shaking chance if you go slower?
How does it chance if you just change the rpms? - switch in neutral while going 60 or so.

Does it really pull on your steering, or does it more shake the whole car around while the steering wheel feels normal?

tw0123 01-17-2016 10:06 PM

It almost sounds like a broken motor or trans mount....

Chris2000 01-18-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 663268)
Does it get worse if you speed up? Or does the shaking chance if you go slower?
How does it chance if you just change the rpms? - switch in neutral while going 60 or so.

Does it really pull on your steering, or does it more shake the whole car around while the steering wheel feels normal?

Shaking will get worse if I let off the gas. Steering is fine, the entire car shakes

3500Alero 01-19-2016 10:03 AM

Wheels are tight? Sounds like it could be a bad tie rod or the vertical control arm bushings (hockey pucks)

paul ron 03-08-2016 10:43 PM

take it in for a wheel alignment?

rocketfast321 03-09-2016 11:01 AM

Loose cv axle bolts....don't ask

Chris2000 03-10-2016 02:50 PM

Driver side front caliper piston and one of the pins in the bracket had siezed up. Replaced front pads, rotors, and driver front caliper/bracket. All is good

falloutboy 03-11-2016 04:35 AM

THAT, I didn't expect.
Good to know that something minor like this can cause this.

made some pics of how it looked before u changed parts? Or at least a pic of the rotor? Any hotspots or grooves on it?

Papa Rad17 04-16-2016 01:23 AM

I wish I would have chimed in sooner. My brakes went out on the way to Homecoming in 14, ended up finding a tire has wire showing while fixing that so I went and got new tires 800+ miles from home. They come out get to me in the waiting area, only take me out and shake my drivers side tire (tie rod end shot). My thought- Ah that explains the loppy steering on the way up". As it turns out, he then proceeds to grab my rack and pinion and shake up and down, about an inch of travel. I went ahead and drove home. About half way back I thought I'd never make it.
We found the bolt trashed, the rack and pinons mount ground out about 2 times the size, and the mount pretty much destroyed. It was down for two weeks undergoing surgery.
Any time something involving shaking or loose steering happens, you should head home and check things out right away.

falloutboy 04-16-2016 06:07 AM

HOLY shit,
u got pics of the mayhem Papa?

Papa Rad17 04-17-2016 11:32 PM

I do

aroundincircles 04-18-2016 01:07 PM

wow, that's pretty scary... I had deathwobble on my jeep once, thought I was going to die. fortunately i was on my way for an off road trip and I keep a pretty healthy set of tools in my jeep + spares, and it was the track rod bolt that had come loose and needed to be replaced. Not the case in the alero, its not a problem I would expect. Glad you got it sorted out.