Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Is this fixable? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38352)

Fabian_7s 02-21-2015 11:05 PM

Is this fixable?

So while my car was parked while i was at the store some a**hat in a truck backed into my car and took off. Only the hood got hit as you can see in the picture below.

Its right where the hood latch is at but the hood opens and closes fine its just that huge dent that bothers me! So im just wondering if anyone knows if this is fixable? Or would i have to replace the hood? I really dont wanna replace the whole thing over a minor dent like that but i dont wanna drive it looking like that for the rest of my life either :(

Nas Escobar 02-21-2015 11:34 PM

It's fixable, but it's also gonna cost you a pretty dime. The dent has to be knocked back out but because the hood usually has 2 layers of metal (the outside and the bracing you see from the inside), that will complicate things, thus making it somewhat expensive. Don't let someone just throw bondo at it.

I would start looking for a good body shop if I was you

Fabian_7s 02-22-2015 12:32 AM

Ill start looking for one monday morning since most of them are closed weekends. I just really hope they don't charge more than what a new hood is worth:/

03glgold 02-22-2015 01:13 AM

It would probably be cheapest if you could find a hood of the same color in a junk yard.

Nas Escobar 02-22-2015 01:49 AM

^^^^

He has a point, but that baby blue isn't a very common color so be aware as well. Unless you find it somewhere, a yard hood is between $40-80

sleepyalero 02-22-2015 02:56 AM

Your best bet is buy a junkyard hood then have it painted your factory color. It will be your best bet imo. Thats what i would do.

03Alerosil 02-22-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 660142)
Your best bet is buy a junkyard hood then have it painted your factory color. It will be your best bet imo. Thats what i would do.

I agree with sleepy. That's exactly what I would do unless you can find one in your color. Everyone once in a while a guys gotta get lucku

tw0123 02-22-2015 12:30 PM

A "new" hood is way to go.... given the significant dent chances are when it's popped out it will crack or chip the paint... unless it's stripped and repainted it will rust and you'll be looking for a new hood anyways... if you can't find one your colour at the yard, if you strip the old paint off before taking it to be painted it'll save you some prep costs....

zzyzzx 02-23-2015 10:24 AM

You don't repair hoods (or fenders, or bumpers, or grilles) very often because they are easy enough to unbolt and bolt on a new one. That's something that you can easily do yourself too. For a hood it's best to have some help though, they are kind of heavy.

Redog 03-02-2015 05:23 PM

Yeah I agree with everybody.

Try here to see if you can find a hood the same color.

www.car-part.com

Netuddki 03-02-2015 06:38 PM

A junkyard hood and painting it will probably cost more, than just let it pop out by a professional and paint only that part over.

I am glad, that I live next to 3 eastern european countries where it would cost maybe $100 alltogether.

Painting a whole hood in the US will cost you at least $200-$300 I assume.

I just know, that where I live, they calculate at least €100 for a work hour and then you still didn't pay the paint and taxes and whatnot.

And painting the hood is not just spraying it over.

You have to get the old paint off, and then spray it over a few times.

So if you don't find exactly the same color in a good condition, then take this to a professional. Will be cheaper.

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and make a report at the police about this! Even if they don't find that person, your insurance may pay some cash.