Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scary Gas Pedal stick, situation ! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34275)

pjwallington 06-15-2011 10:31 AM

Scary Gas Pedal stick, situation !

When I was testing my new air filter out, My gas pedal got stuck to the floor..
It wouldnt let off, I noticed it when I went to downshift and when I pushed the clutch in, it redlined past 7,000RPM.. So I shut the car off considering I was close to 200km/h. The last time it did it, was when I revved it once in my drive way to show a buddy, and that little rev, turned into a Redlining rev that went on uintil I shut the ignition off.. IT WAS LOUD ! :( It also scared me, I dont want to blow it up..
I used the "SEARCH" button but didnt have anyluck.
Has this happened to anyone else, Could someone help me out ?
Much appreciated guys :)

FrankTheTank 06-15-2011 10:45 AM

isnt 200km/h close to 120 mph? sounds crazy!

pjwallington 06-15-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank (Post 588294)
isnt 200km/h close to 120 mph? sounds crazy!

I was loosin it, I kept pressing on and off the pedal then I finally said screw this and just shut it off. My stereo/subs were pounding, So i didnt even realise at first !

Greencoupe2.2 06-15-2011 11:09 AM

are you sure that you ghetto air cleaner install didnt get in the way of your throttle body

Greencoupe2.2 06-15-2011 11:19 AM

in your picture it looks like your filter is pushing against the battery which caused your black resonator box, which is over your throttle body to push on your throttle cable assembly which is on the opposite side of your air filter. Either get a proper intake or go back to stock, a ricey air filter install isnt worth your life.

cherrington17 06-15-2011 11:23 AM

never had it happen.

also.... shift faster into neutral and shut it down.

billytheman1188 06-15-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 (Post 588300)
in your picture it looks like your filter is pushing against the battery which caused your black resonator box, which is over your throttle body to push on your throttle cable assembly which is on the opposite side of your air filter. Either get a proper intake or go back to stock, a ricey air filter install isnt worth your life.

wow....very nice observation. YES that does look like a pretty shitty intake install. You just throw a filter on there!? no piping or anything? DEF get an intake.....dont just slap a filter on there man....dont be a ricer ;)

[ion] C2 06-15-2011 11:55 AM

Open the throttle plate manually and see if it's sticky. Mine tends to stick at 1-2% throttle unless I keep it perfectly clean

You may have some other physical interference going on though.

a.graham52 06-15-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 (Post 588300)

deffinitly check that out... makes sence to me. floor mat stick the pedal down at all? nothing thing to check. i know my old 99 would designed to shut off at 109mph. cant image you went that much faster..

cherrington17 06-15-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 588307)
deffinitly check that out... makes sence to me. floor mat stick the pedal down at all? nothing thing to check. i know my old 99 would designed to shut off at 109mph. cant image you went that much faster..

we're all governed at 107.8 i believe. (iirc)

reading high probably means your speedo wasn't accurate at that level.

a.graham52 06-15-2011 12:19 PM

seemed like i read somone in GMSI that that was the number.

Lucalare 06-15-2011 12:47 PM

I've had mine at approximately 114, unless the speedo is a little off.

Edit: this is when it governed, and I don't do this stupid stuff anymore, if I'm going 80 something serious is up.

03Sleepr 06-15-2011 01:34 PM

That was the NOS floormats doing their job..

But seriously. Check your tb.

Gr1m 06-15-2011 02:01 PM

ive seen the excess metal on the rubber clamps actually get in the way of the steel braided line that opens on the throttle body. you should check this out as it can cause the TB to get stuck open.

Redog 06-15-2011 02:16 PM

Yeah looking again at that pic, the throttle cable half moon had to get stuck on something. Switch back to stock and buy the enitre intake.

Look on eBay, you can probably get one for pretty cheap, and shipping shouldn't be too bad. Shop around

colonel6632 06-15-2011 02:23 PM

i've had mine do that. the half moon on the throttle body actually got caught under a plastic line behind the throttle body. i believe it went from the intake manifold to the little black thing on the power steering bracket. just sit in the garage and move the throttle body to see if it's getting caught on mine

and you car wont do 200kmh. it's governed at 170. unless you've had it removed.

pjwallington 06-15-2011 03:56 PM

WITHOUT it being started, I pressed it to the floor once, and the bottom of the pedal got stuck on those damn NOS floormats ;) (I have the originals underneath for extra protection in the winter..)
Ill double-check the throttle body though, and as for the intake.. Im keeping it stock but removing the Air Filter Box, and I am going to see if my Garage uptown has an elbow piece so I can Locate the filter there.. ( I imagine it would then be called a CAI ? There is a tube that the outside air flows up)
Is there a way to tell if your governor has been removed ?
The 300C was Limited to 210, but now the needle barries into the 260 range..

natedawg9640 06-15-2011 04:27 PM

bwaahahaha

a.graham52 06-15-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjwallington (Post 588329)
WITHOUT it being started, I pressed it to the floor once, and the bottom of the pedal got stuck on those damn NOS floormats ;) (I have the originals underneath for extra protection in the winter..)
Ill double-check the throttle body though, and as for the intake.. Im keeping it stock but removing the Air Filter Box, and I am going to see if my Garage uptown has an elbow piece so I can Locate the filter there.. ( I imagine it would then be called a CAI ? There is a tube that the outside air flows up)
Is there a way to tell if your governor has been removed ?
The 300C was Limited to 210, but now the needle barries into the 260 range..

no. cia is when the actual intake reaches down into the fender to grab cold are. by keeping the filter open and in the engine compartment, you are still getting warm air and only have wai.

a.graham52 06-15-2011 04:53 PM

this is a CIA (the one i installed friday)

deletes stock air box and snorkle behind headlight.

view of air filter with drivers head light removed.

view from hole in front bumper where the fog light is normaly located
as you can see its a straight shot for the air and thats the benifit of it.