Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Broken Alternator stud (Ecotec 2.2) (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37329)

Nas Escobar 07-29-2013 02:46 PM

Broken Alternator stud (Ecotec 2.2)

Well, I was taking off some wiring from my big 3 mod since I don't have an amplifier in the car anymore and the stud on the alternator that holds the positive cable broke off. IDK how or why but that mofo just snapped out of place.

Has anyone had this happen to them? What's an easy way to fix this besides "replacing the alternator". I'm not trying to invest money into this car.

Is it possible to take out the alternator and replace the bolt?

jawa 07-29-2013 03:33 PM

c0uld try it but i dont think it will work

billytheman1188 07-29-2013 07:12 PM

Go get a set of those drill bits that can get broken bolts out. Forget the technical name for them. Take alt off...spray the bolt with some penetrating fluid then take a flat head screw driver and pit the end of it on the bolt and tap pn the other end with a hammer a couple times then use those drill bits. Hopefully it works for ya

zzyzzx 07-30-2013 09:05 AM

Pics?

I think you can buy just the part that broke and replace it. Or get one from a junkyard.

If it's anything like the V6, I think you broke part of the diode pack, which I show you how to replace here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32281

You broke this stud, the larger one in the upper left, didn't you:

billytheman1188 07-30-2013 01:01 PM

Oops....would of helped if i read a little better. I forget there's a stud on there...why was i thinking it was a bolt? lol. Good luck. Good stuff there ZZ

zzyzzx 07-30-2013 02:33 PM

Now that I have had more time to think about it, even in my picture, it looks like it's still a separate piece that comes with a new diode pack. So you might be able to unbolt it and bolt in a new stud. I am not sure but I might even have the part in question, sitting around as a spare.

a.graham52 07-30-2013 03:16 PM

if you are going to go to this length... remove your alternator, send it out to have somone rebuild it (we have a local guy who does it for like $60 and doesnt even look like yours when hes done. great job he does), or put a used/ new one.

zzyzzx 07-31-2013 09:32 PM

I checked my Alero spare parts and I do not have that stud. I do have a whole spare 1999 V6 alternator and it's definitely the part on the diode pack as I had thought. Should be easy enough to get one at a JY.

Nas Escobar 08-05-2013 03:25 AM

Sorry for the late replies, I've been too busy with 2 jobs. Anyways, I did break the bolt on the diode pack and sadly, it even pulled on part of the wire that goes on there.... I decided to get one from a Cavalier at a junkyard... $15, tested it at Advance Auto, all is good.

a.graham52 08-05-2013 07:22 AM

guess you went with the easy fix of "replacing the alternator" lol.

zzyzzx 08-05-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 644263)
Sorry for the late replies, I've been too busy with 2 jobs. Anyways, I did break the bolt on the diode pack and sadly, it even pulled on part of the wire that goes on there.... I decided to get one from a Cavalier at a junkyard... $15, tested it at Advance Auto, all is good.

Pics?

Yes I paid more for a diode pack than I would have for a junkyard alternator. But my alternator only had around 25K miles on it or so, since I figured that the rest of it was good and way never than I was going to find in a junkyard one with that low mileage.

Which junkyard around here only charges $15 for an alternator???

Nas Escobar 08-05-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzyzzx (Post 644269)
Pics?

Yes I paid more for a diode pack than I would have for a junkyard alternator. But my alternator only had around 25K miles on it or so, since I figured that the rest of it was good and way never than I was going to find in a junkyard one with that low mileage.

Which junkyard around here only charges $15 for an alternator???

The Alternator is at the house where I store the Grand Am at in Virginia... I'll take pics of it later tonight. I have to go out there anyways.

Pick A Part out in Stafford VA. There's also a 2nd location in Fredericksburg. The car was near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge so it was easy for me to just go down there.

I might rebuild it if I have free time and I can get the parts for cheap.