Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Battery Leaking Acid (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34481)

G.I.Ceo 07-21-2011 02:37 PM

Battery Leaking Acid

So as the title says I have gone through three batteries this year alone. I have a issue with the battery leaking acid and bowing on the sides of it. Also the battery will only stay charged for a matter of a few days and I cannot figure out for the life of me what is causing this. My voltage gauge reads steady at 13.6-14.1 at all times too.

AZFire316 07-21-2011 02:53 PM

Have you checked all the connections? Possible ground fault?

Redog 07-21-2011 02:54 PM

It's overcharging somewhere, or cheap batteries

G.I.Ceo 07-21-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZFire316 (Post 592005)
Have you checked all the connections? Possible ground fault?

I did cut the ground from the body to the battery and replaced it with a heavier gauge. The reason I had done that is because I was having a issue before and it didn't seem to help. Does anyone have a better place to ground the battery then battery to body? The battery I am using is a Exide from Belle Tire and they have been nice enough to replace them under warranty each time.

Redog 07-21-2011 03:03 PM

I would think an engine ground is better, but a soild ground to the frame (or frame rail in a unibody) would be just as good

Maybe it's those batteries, IDK

AZFire316 07-21-2011 03:07 PM

could also check the charging system, I see you say its showing 14.1V which is right around where it should be but I wouldnt rule it out entirely.

a.graham52 07-21-2011 03:09 PM

what do you have for aftermarket equipment hooked to the battery (such as an amp) that might becausing a short to ground. also... your saying you never got the original ground to work properly and just replaced with with a bigger cable? taht only be hiding your issue.

G.I.Ceo 07-21-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 592010)
I would think an engine ground is better, but a soild ground to the frame (or frame rail in a unibody) would be just as good

Maybe it's those batteries, IDK

What part of the engine would be a good place to put the ground?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZFire316 (Post 592013)
could also check the charging system, I see you say its showing 14.1V which is right around where it should be but I wouldnt rule it out entirely.

Yeah I am also wondering if it is the alternator putting out false readings and causing the battery to overcharge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 592014)
what do you have for aftermarket equipment hooked to the battery (such as an amp) that might becausing a short to ground. also... your saying you never got the original ground to work properly and just replaced with with a bigger cable? taht only be hiding your issue.

I have nothing attached to the battery as far as after market stuff goes.

a.graham52 07-21-2011 04:42 PM

why not go to advance and have them test your charging system?

G.I.Ceo 07-21-2011 04:50 PM

^ I didn't think to do that.

pawzbear 07-21-2011 05:45 PM

At first I agreed with "Cheap Battery" as ken said.. however I believe exide makes a decent battery. Def have the alt checked and see what its putting out.

There are more tests to do, of course, though they would require a GM Tech II scan tool and those morons at advance would not have one of those: they wouldn't be able to work it, anyways.

a.graham52 07-21-2011 05:53 PM

how would you use a techII to diag a charging system? iv never had to use one. unless it was a no charge issue so im curious.

Redog 07-21-2011 07:51 PM

It depends on the block.

If it's all alluinum block you'll have to go to the frame or frame rail, but a iron block gives a great ground.

On the 3400, it would be anyplace on the bottom end

pawzbear 07-21-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 592036)
how would you use a techII to diag a charging system? iv never had to use one. unless it was a no charge issue so im curious.

I have never used one either! But we have one. I use the bitty, cheapo scanner. The tech II and other make-specific scanners dig out a huge amount of info from the cars; practically has a graph and testing modes for everything. It was an educated guess that it would help - at least with some stored, vehicle specific fault codes, perhaps. It was an educated guess :)
Our guys had to go through training to use it and our Ford, Chrysler, and vag com scanners and they still find new features every day!