Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   can you get into the cruise buttons? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33510)

irondiezl3 02-24-2011 12:36 AM

can you get into the cruise buttons?

lights just went out in the cruise buttons on the steering wheel. how do you open it to change the bulbs?

scott192 02-24-2011 04:37 AM

all at once?? thats not a bulb

falloutboy 02-24-2011 09:12 AM

it is a very very small bulb soldered into the plate where all the electronics and switches are on (sorry dont know ho to call it in English)

At least it has been a bulb (under a magnifying glass u could see the wire) in my old '99 controls.

If u are certain that all other wiring is intact and working and only the bulb is burned out - u could perhaps solder a LED into it.

irondiezl3 02-24-2011 10:38 AM

so basically replace the entire piece does it seaperate from the steeringwheel?

falloutboy 02-24-2011 11:03 AM

yes :) - its quite easy work. But u have to have the guts to handle your airbag.

I think theres a how to already on here

AleroB888 02-24-2011 12:29 PM

That's funny, only one of the buttons has a light not working on my '99 cruise control.

The rest of them turn on or off normally when engaged.

widbyj 02-24-2011 12:56 PM

Yeah, the only light I've ever seen is the one on the left side that indicates the system is enabled. There is an indicator on the dash to show it's engaged.

Does your cruise control work? Maybe a more serious issue here, or even just a fuse...

jayson_waltz 02-24-2011 01:08 PM

replace the entire assembly if its the switches. Cheap and very easy to do. around 20-30 bucks if i remember right when I did mine but I had the employee discount so it might be a bit more.

irondiezl3 02-24-2011 10:45 PM

you mean take the whole black piece off? and as for the lights all my buttons light up green and a few of them recently blew out the cruise works fine.

cherrington17 02-25-2011 09:08 AM

You have to remove two bolts from the back of the steering wheel, remove the airbag, then you have access to the screws that hold the switches in place. Take those out (and disconnect the wires) and you can then work on the light (if its blown) or replace the switch (if its bad)

All things considered, not that hard. BUT you DO have to remove the airbag. If you have the cojones to do that. (nothing to worry about, but it terrifies some people)

falloutboy 02-25-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 576249)
BUT you DO have to remove the airbag. If you have the cojones to do that. (nothing to worry about, but it terrifies some people)

Thats what I said.
And a friend of mine had an accident with the seatbelt explosives in a Ford.
He was lucky that his hands were somewhere else - but it scared the crap out of him and burned the seat - that solved a bucket of water :)

cherrington17 02-25-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 576318)
And a friend of mine had an accident with the seatbelt explosives in a Ford.
He was lucky that his hands were somewhere else - but it scared the crap out of him and burned the seat - that solved a bucket of water :)

???

Its like google translator was hung over and didn't care about its job, for that post. :lol:

(not making fun of you, man. I know english isn't your first language) But fyi...that doesn't make one bit of sense. Start to finish.

falloutboy 02-25-2011 05:17 PM

hupppsss -- kinda brain fart :)

I mean the little explosives that are in the seatbelt restrainers to tension them in a crash (maybe it isnt as common in the USA)

He took the seat, seatbelt and so on apart - and all of a sudden - BOOM the restrainer and the seat were on fire, thanks to the explosion.

poured a bucket of water over the burning seat.

Hope now its clearer what I meant.

cherrington17 02-25-2011 05:19 PM

Very clear. However... i've never heard of those seat belt explosives.... ever.

Must be a euro thing.

Cliff8928 02-26-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 576326)
I mean the little explosives that are in the seatbelt restrainers to tension them in a crash (maybe it isnt as common in the USA)

They're called a pretensioner. There's tons of vids on youtube.

clutch1 02-27-2011 06:26 PM

They tend to ohm out about the same resistance as speakers... so sometimes newbs tap into them when installing a speaker amp.. them POOF oh crap.

falloutboy 02-28-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch1 (Post 576563)
They tend to ohm out about the same resistance as speakers... so sometimes newbs tap into them when installing a speaker amp.. them POOF oh crap.

Thankfully such stuff never happened around here, at least I didnt hear about it.
But again, Germans dont do much stuff on their own cars. If the OE didnt built it into the car, and 3 or 4 technical supervising organizations approved it - dont touch. :p Morons :)

clutch1 02-28-2011 02:15 PM

I heard in a lot of countries in Europe any aftermarket wiring needed to be black or something like that?

Don't remember where, but it sticks in my head.

falloutboy 02-28-2011 06:01 PM

nope - not Germany - atleast I dont know it.
I choose my wiring color as close to OE as possible (with my limited colors)

Cause if all wires are black - thats gonna be pretty hard to diagnose errors.
as long as u didnt only built new grounds :D