Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   problems with the shift kit (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24160)

jwateland 10-02-2008 09:30 PM

problems with the shift kit

so my shift kit is doing the wierdest thing... i keep it on stage 1 and i never switch it off. it will be working normally then sometimes when i shut the car off and go back to driving it it is still in stage one but it feels like stock. so if i switch it off and drive it around for a while like that and then before i go to start my car i'll switch it back into stage one and then it will work like normal. i've tested it with stage two and i have no problems with stage two acting in the same manner. it's kind of a annoying circle cause i love driving it in stage one and poof all of a sudden the enjoyment is replaced with problems. anyone with a shift kit experience any problems like this. or know why it's acting like that?

undecided02 10-02-2008 09:54 PM

who makes the kit?

Justin081 10-02-2008 10:05 PM

I have the B&M shift kit and have never had any problems like this with it. dunno if your talking bout the B&M one tho.

jwateland 10-02-2008 11:01 PM

yeah it's the b & m shift kit

YALEROYNOT 10-02-2008 11:23 PM

sounds like a loose connection. i used tap splice's and the one wasn't crimped tight so mine acted weird till I found the problem.

jwateland 10-03-2008 01:24 AM

yeah i used the tap splices that came with it. and when i first test drove it it wasn't working. so with the hot a** engine (cause i was short on time) i remo;ved the splices only to find that they didn't break through the insulation. so i fixed that and it worked great for a while. but i talked to someone else that ran into problems with the connections. so i took thier advise and i soldered them. i test drove that thing all over and it works great! but we'll see how it goes. if anything changes i'll sure to let you guys know.

FYI: B & M shift plus shift kit

triple check to make sure you are connecting to the correct wiring. there are a few blue wires with white lines and the same for the red wire with a black line. there is a good step by step with pics thread name: Installing B&m Shiftplus On 4t40 the plug wires are the same for both 2.4 and 3.4. then triple check your connections the tap splices that are supplied may not bite through the insulation. for a 100% fale safe remove a little of the insulation on the plug wires ( i actually utilized the teeth on the tap splice to help cut through parts of the insulation) and solder the wires. even just the 5 dollar pen shaped solder tool from wal-mart actually works very well for this application (it's what i used)

jwateland 10-03-2008 05:24 PM

so it started doing the samething again! i called b & m and talked to one of thier techs. the one thing that they could think of that would cause this is that sense the transmission is electronicly controlled and has a memory that the computer is trying to learn the settings and reset itself. that's what it felt like to me but, i'm gonna try and shutting it off before i park it and turn it on while it's on cause you can switch to higher mode with the car on it just has to be in park.

DOHC_tuner 10-03-2008 06:06 PM

i just installed mine last week along with some other adjustments i had 2 do. but im going back 2 finish and ill let u know if i have any problems, plus i did disconnect the battery

jwateland 10-06-2008 10:07 PM

me too

DOHC_tuner 10-06-2008 11:29 PM

Well the shift kit seems to be working fine, although I plan to do another tranny and filter change soon.