Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Horn Honks on Its Own (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35169)

Valley olds 12-08-2011 01:21 PM

Horn Honks on Its Own

Hello everyone. Lately my car has started to honk on its own during the night. I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he just replaced the horn relay saying that that could be it. Last night however, it honked again. It isn't a short honk, but a long one as if someone were leaning on the horn. Now, I will probably take it to the mechanic again next week but on the mean time,

Does anyone know what else it could be?

Also, I probably will not get to work on it, so most likely, as a temporary fix, I am just going to remove the relay.

Does anyone know where the relay is and if it affects anything else besides the horn? I can't find my owners manual.

On a side note; it only seems to do this when it is cold out, hence it does it only at night.

[ion] C2 12-08-2011 01:32 PM

horn switch is pretty much all it could be.

no power through the switch --> no power to the relay --> no power to the horn

Valley olds 12-08-2011 02:10 PM

Where would I find the horn switch to switch it off?

a.graham52 12-08-2011 02:18 PM

behind the air bag in the steering wheel. could just pull the fuse.

Valley olds 12-08-2011 03:00 PM

Yeah, pulling the fuse or relay does sound easier. I think I will try that. Thank you.

Update: I just removed the horn relay, I googled and learned that it is relay 21 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. It does not seem to have affected anything besides the horn, but if something is affected, I will keep everyone updated.

MMGT1 12-08-2011 09:07 PM

Pull out your passenger side headlamp. Right under there are the horns. Check wires to make sure they have not corroded or rubbed through on one another. Has to be a short there somewhere. For it to be happening when it gets cold tells me there is condensation forming and causing a short. I bet as your underhood cools, the air in there is hitting the dew point, collecting on a bare wire somewhere and making your horn go off
The other one Im thinking is to check the underside of the underhood fuse block for corrosion

nicothehut 12-31-2011 10:18 AM

Pull the horn out and replace. Mine sounded off last month till it melted down the electrical connection on the side on the horn.

paul ron 01-20-2012 12:33 AM

My horn went off for no reason one night n burnt itself to death by morning, 8 years ago. I just replaced the horns n no problems yet.

Weird!

Papa Rad17 01-20-2012 01:08 AM

I had this problem when it first got cold. my horn never worked again after the 2nd time it went off (it went for a LONG time) all the horn can do now is click when i hit it. I am 99% certain its the horn its self screwing up. I havent got around to replacing it or anything yet though. so I just have the fuse pulled.

cavaliers60 01-20-2012 01:22 AM

Could you imagine how awesome this would be if it was connected to a train horn? :lol:

Papa Rad17 01-20-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavaliers60 (Post 606944)
Could you imagine how awesome this would be if it was connected to a train horn? :lol:

I have no idea where to look for those...

Alerojester 01-20-2012 10:52 AM

Google train horn kit and you'll find them

rocketfast321 01-20-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavaliers60 (Post 606944)

I have buick horns on mine off a park ave. (4 horns) Sound boss but not as loud as a train :dry: