Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HOW TO: side mirrior turn signals (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34735)

Papa Rad17 09-11-2011 11:01 PM

HOW TO: side mirrior turn signals

6 Attachment(s)
Alright here we go, first real how to.
I used the "side emitting 'headlight' LEDs. a 6" strip. from ozium.com.

First- get the lights of your choice, some wire for the extension (I used some old RCA wire I had laying around, works great for LEDs iv discovered) sodering iron and wire.

Second- take off your door panel and the door gard along the bottom of where you step in. 1st pic is where they are
Third- determine and prep the wires to splice into for power
drivers side- light blue w/black stripe and black (or to frame)
passenger side- dark blue and run to frame for ground

If you want them on all the time and to blink with turn sigs (not recommended)
drivers side- light blue with black stripe and brown (only one of the browns will work, have to find the right one)
passenger side- dark blue and the larger brown

Fourth-run your wires through the side mirrors, my passenger one is one the 2 piece ones (MUCH easier to do) get it folded back a bit and a wire cloths hanger or soder wire (I used and it worked great) then you just need to move around your mirror till you can get it over to where the LEDs will be.
If you have a sold mirror like my drivers side one, I found it impossible to feed it through. I had to drill a new hole (pics below). Its not noticeable and sealed up no prob. then the same procedure, move around the mirror until you get the wire where it need to be for your LEDs.

Fifth- run your wire down inside the door and into the cabin. Getting through the rubber hose with all the wires is a bit of a pain, again I used my soder wire for a guide and was able to keep bending it along to feed it through.
Next- soder you wires in good and wrap in electrical tape. then mount your LEDs in the side mirrors. reassemble and your good to go!
if you need more pics or question let me know.

Shiwnath 09-11-2011 11:07 PM

Nice how-to...looks awesome! your camera kinda makes it look pinkish...but I bet it looks red when you see it.

Papa Rad17 09-11-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiwnath (Post 596209)
Nice how-to...looks awesome! your camera kinda makes it look pinkish...but I bet it looks red when you see it.

they are a very deep red in person. unfortunately the only camera I have is on my phone so thats as good as gets! lol

hok666 09-12-2011 06:01 PM

you are the shxt papa red! know I dont have to think just do..

also this should be stickied

Papa Rad17 09-12-2011 07:09 PM

Thanks a ton man! I really appreciate that. I orinally saw the idea from cavaleried when I met him a while back, and there are some other preople who have posted about it, I just though I'd write up a how to for y'all.
I really do appreciate that though, thanks man.

So admins, sticky!?

Brad Jahnke 09-21-2011 04:14 AM

Looks like a good winter project for me. Nice job on the howto.

Papa Rad17 11-20-2011 06:26 AM

Update: been in for over 2 months and has stood the test of dirt, car washes, and a lot of blinking. So far still working great!

cavaliers60 11-20-2011 11:49 AM

Mine have been in for over a year and no problems still. :) Survived the winter months too! :)

Papa Rad17 11-20-2011 02:36 PM

My buddy is wanting me to do them for him as well. Im kinda hoping someone will sticky this like hok666 suggested up there :lol:

hotrod_garage 01-09-2012 09:41 PM

Hmm thought I posted this the other night. Oh well here goes again. What did you use to mount the led's and are they mounted to the edge of the mirror or the inside of the housing?
Thanks

Papa Rad17 01-09-2012 10:41 PM

The have a peel away thing and adeasive on the stripe of LEDs. They are mounted on the inside of the mirror.

hotrod_garage 01-09-2012 11:11 PM

Thanks

Papa Rad17 03-06-2012 12:23 AM

just a little update. they have made it though the winter, all still working and not pealing off or anything.

sleepyalero 03-06-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 611247)
just a little update. they have made it though the winter, all still working and not pealing off or anything.

you forgot to mention they lasted through a deer accident! :lol:

Papa Rad17 03-06-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 611254)
you forgot to mention they lasted through a deer accident! :lol:

it wasnt so much with the deer as the ditch. lol. my rear bumper is help on with 2 bolts, 6 pressure pin things. 1 screw, and 2 zip ties. the 2 zip ties are attached to the rear tails because when it ripped off the rear bumper it tore off the bumper mounts well. other then the driver fog light that was the worst damage.

sleepyalero 03-06-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 611256)
it wasnt so much with the deer as the ditch. lol. my rear bumper is help on with 2 bolts, 6 pressure pin things. 1 screw, and 2 zip ties. the 2 zip ties are attached to the rear tails because when it ripped off the rear bumper it tore off the bumper mounts well. other then the driver fog light that was the worst damage.

so much carnage! lol :(

Papa Rad17 03-06-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 611257)
so much carnage! lol :(

you cant tell from looking at it. the bumper is still on solid and hey, the car still looks good just rocking the skirts even w/o the kit. could have been WAY worse. but either way, I'm still one of the few with an alero with blinky turn signals :coolio: :cool: :p

sleepyalero 03-06-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 611258)
you cant tell from looking at it. the bumper is still on solid and hey, the car still looks good just rocking the skirts even w/o the kit. could have been WAY worse. but either way, I'm still one of the few with an alero with blinky turn signals :coolio: :cool: :p

true! haha. honestly you need to keep the alero and prevail unlike everyone else, it seems like almost everyone is getting rid of there aleros now, you cant go!

Papa Rad17 08-09-2012 05:16 PM

bump because I'm about to use this. Hard to find though searching O.o it should be stickied!! Will get some pics up of them on Matt's alero later.

jhubbz 08-09-2012 06:11 PM

Dang, I forgot to show you guys my behind the mirror turn signals at ASS