Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   quarter panels are troubled (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36713)

wombatslayer 01-23-2013 06:12 PM

quarter panels are troubled

the quarter panels on my car are rusting to nothing.. would anybody know if i can buy new ones and weld them on mine? (cut them out obviously) it would sound like it would look a lot better if i bought new ones from a factory rather than just welding a piece of sheet metal on on it. i'm desperate to get them done. i see websites with them but no photos. i'm not trying to buy something i can't see. knowing my luck i'll end up buying something wrong.

sleepyalero 01-23-2013 06:30 PM

Well, considering the rear quarter is connected to your C pillar and runs all the way to the roof of the car (all one piece, impossible to remove), you can't buy a new quarter panel. You would have to cut it and weld. You might want a shop to do the work, and it probably won't be cheap.

Redog 01-23-2013 07:35 PM

That's what they had to do to my car in 2006 after the accident.

Quarter panel, wheel, and repair sheet metal on the door, $2500

04PONTIACGA 01-23-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 631523)
Well, considering the rear quarter is connected to your C pillar and runs all the way to the roof of the car (all one piece, impossible to remove), you can't buy a new quarter panel. You would have to cut it and weld. You might want a shop to do the work, and it probably won't be cheap.

You can buy them, but I don't think new. He would have to get it from a j/y, but I would suggest taking it to a shop too. Somethings are better left to the pros.

wombatslayer 01-23-2013 10:27 PM

I wasn't going to replace the whole piece, I was referring to cutting them. And there is a guy will take care of it for 400. As long as I get the pieces so he doesn't have to re-make them.

04PONTIACGA 01-23-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatslayer (Post 631529)
I wasn't going to replace the whole piece, I was referring to cutting them. And there is a guy will take care of it for 400. As long as I get the pieces so he doesn't have to re-make them.

Go for it if he does good work. Have you seen anything he has done?

comanche 01-23-2013 11:43 PM

A guy bought an Alero coupe from me a couple years ago and had a local body shop repair the panels by cutting out the rust and welding in new steel. $800 and it looked real good.

wombatslayer 01-24-2013 12:56 AM

Yeah, I've seen his work. It's pretty damn good. Better than most body shops. My uncle had an alero coupe with the same issue. He re-created the metal to match the moldings of the car. Nobody could tell it was rusted out at anytime. I wouldn't go anywhere else for bodywork.

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:10 AM

Children let the adults play now. Ok here we go...."..........

First off your asking if you can buy the quater from a factory. Lol. Dont ya mean the parts department at the dealership?.. Have we all forgotten to remove all the parts. The quater glass and the rear window. And the bumper the tail light. Remove the deck lid. The interior. Like the seats, the quater trim. The package shelf.

Not only do you have to buy the quater ya have to buy a new rear window molding. Once its cut off thats it Not to mention ya need window urathene. Have ya ever cut and or installed glass before?.. Im gonna go anead and say ya havent. Plus the material like ohhhhhh i dunno the panel bond!!!!! Grinding discs, snad paper. Roloc wheels. Paint, masking tape and paper

More.......

xXManwhoreXx 01-24-2013 01:19 AM

Chris!

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:21 AM

Manwhore,,,!!!!!!
I had a huge paragraph typed out too and it logged me out so here we go again

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:23 AM

So once all parts are removed glass is out. Now there are 2 ways to remove them panle
A.drill out spot welds
B. grind themm out with a grinding disc

I perfer to grind them off it keeps the mating flanges clean and not left with a small piolt hole. Clean the old mating flanges. And the new panle and all new metal comes with a e coat

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:25 AM

Scuff the e coat with a red scuff pad, Now both new and old are preped
Now your going to dry fit and mock up the panle. A journeyman like my self knows where to cut the new panle in the sIl panle just for mock up

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:26 AM

Yes its the dpillar or sail panle. New panel will be cut and trimmed in. I- car way
A.open but
B.lap weld
C. Open but with backing

xXManwhoreXx 01-24-2013 01:28 AM

Journeyman? More like a legend

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:28 AM

So you like all the gaps the panles is trimmed ready for the sectioning into the sIl panle, now panel bond goes on new and old mating flanged. At the lower part of the quater. Around the wheel house. And the tail light pocket

New panle will have holes already punched. Cleaned off. Ready to go on

xXManwhoreXx 01-24-2013 01:29 AM

I miss storys with mexicans

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:29 AM

I use sheet metal screws and clamps to hold the panle in place
Weld and weld. Panel bond takes 24 hours to cure. Donttouch it until then

bdyman 01-24-2013 01:30 AM

Yes as do i manwhore

wombatslayer 01-24-2013 01:30 AM

O.o the hell I'm doing that. Haha I hate body work. But I'll be happy to let someone else do it. And for my uncles car, he didn't get that massive piece that were talking about. Although it looks like he would have. Not to mention I don't have that kind of money... He's giving me a pretty good deal on it. I know him pretty well, he restores cars for a living.