Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   (signal frequency) Think I screwed somethin' up... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38733)

AleroCzak 07-07-2016 09:58 PM

(signal frequency) Think I screwed somethin' up...

After clearing my corners (many hours and several burns from the heat-gun later I can barely say it was worth it) I decided I needed some amber light bulbs for the signals. I got these LED's from Amazon:
Now that I put those in, the signal blinks twice as fast. Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Missing resistance in the circuit? Relay? All thoughts welcome/appreciated.

Redog 07-08-2016 04:51 AM

Typically in older cars putting an LED in as a t/s bulb, means the bulb will flash twice as fast because the car thinks there is a bulb burned out due to the low voltage of an LED bulb.

Maybe somebody else can chime in on a fix for this, but I've never done it just because of the problem you are having

03Alerosil 07-08-2016 07:17 AM

I've heard you need to run individual grounds for LED bulbs to work properly. You may also try adding a resistor inline with the bulb so it takes more voltage for the bulb to work and "tricks" the flasher into working normally.

AleroCzak 07-08-2016 10:51 AM

I'll try something. This hyper-flashing is irritating me. :mad:

falloutboy 07-08-2016 12:27 PM

U may also look if there is a suitable flasher relay for 90s / 2000 GM cars for retrofitting LED signals.
If not, you have to install resistors. Its not the voltage that makes the signals flash faster, its the missing load in the circuit.
eg. 1 bulb has about 5 Watts, 1 LED may only have the equivalent of 5 Watts (meaning it burns as bright, but only draws maybe 0.5 watts) - hence your flasher relay is sensing "missing bulbs".

jhubbz 07-08-2016 02:01 PM

I used to have some of these 3157 bulbs for front turn signals. They look pretty neat, and didn't have any hyper-blink issues since it's still a regular bulb. I know the link isnt to 3157, but I know they exist somewhere.

The far corner 194 bulb was LED with no issues though. I don't remember if that one blinked or not. I think it was more of a corner marker that stayed constant.

tw0123 07-08-2016 03:00 PM

You need a resistor to stop the hyper flash... Simple fix, one on each side for left turn and right turn signals :)

AleroCzak 07-08-2016 05:50 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll try LED relays and see if that fixes it, if not I'll add resistors. We'll see what happens.:smokey:

Papa Rad17 07-09-2016 01:16 AM

You need a load resistor to salve your problem, or more expensive bulbs, with it built in. I still have a pack of them from my white car- same issue. The car doesn't think there is a bulb there because of how little power the LED uses. It's hyper flashing to tell your bulb is out. The load resistor, when placed in parallel with the bulb, will drop the current to simulate an incandescent bulb.

AleroCzak 08-09-2016 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I fixed the problem with these resistors from amazon. They were very easy to install. I took some pictures to highlight where I installed them.