Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Burning Oil (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29665)

Ttop191 11-30-2009 06:47 PM

Burning Oil

Ok, so over the last 5 months my ho is starting to burn oil like mad, its going threw a quart every two weeks, it isn't leaking anywhere, its just burning like crazy. When it gets low also, the Oil can light comes on when I'm taking sharp left turns, only left. Any idea what could be causing this? :wacko:

Also, I believe this is unrelated, but my gas mileage has plummeted also

colonel6632 11-30-2009 06:48 PM

your lucky your oil light comes on... mine never did... then all the oil was gone.

but it could be your piston rings... maybe

Redog 11-30-2009 07:10 PM

I vote for rings.

Black smoke from the tailpipe?

Ttop191 11-30-2009 07:25 PM

no, actually smoke is ummm...clean? lol

jayson_waltz 11-30-2009 07:38 PM

burning that much you should be able to smell it in the exhaust, or see it sometimes. I'll also vote rings though. But the oil light thing happens to mine even when its full if i take a corner really fast, like tire screaming fast. Other than that never happens.

Redog 11-30-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttop191 (Post 511514)
no, actually smoke is ummm...clean? lol

What color is it?

Now I'm thinking your dumping oil into the cooling system due to the LIMG leak.

If that's happening, that's better than coolant in the oil

Ttop191 11-30-2009 08:33 PM

white smoke coming outta the tailpipe

colonel6632 11-30-2009 08:42 PM

mine didn't smoke at idle. just when i took it to high rpms while driving. lots of blue smoke. and white smoke normally means burning antifreeze i think. i'd check your oil for cloudy stuff, or check your antifreeze for oil. it has to be going somewhere

Chipmunk-Alero 11-30-2009 08:55 PM

White smoke is normal if its cold out. If its not then thats a LIMG to be replaced. Also, smell the smoke for a stinch of antifreeze.

Nate's Alero 11-30-2009 09:22 PM

it's a twin cam for the skimmers that said LIMG *cough* Redog *cough*

whiterider00 12-01-2009 01:56 AM

mine burns a bit of oil too, but it has almost 180k miles, and its been doing it since i bought the car. roughly 1 qt between oil changes is what i have to add. and the light comes on for me taking hard left turns too. i assume the sensor for low oil is on the left(drivers) side of the engine and when all the oil moves to the other side during the turn, the sensor thinks ur low. suddenly burning that much doesnt seem good tho. most likely rings like everyone else said.

Amun Ra 01-27-2010 01:23 AM

Ok, bringing this one back. I'm burning oil as well and I die out at times. not often but rather once in blue moon. I also get a lot of vibration at stops while in drive and it goes away if I drop it into neutral. any ideas would be helpful. I was thinking maybe something to do with the EGR or FPR maybe....

whiterider00 01-27-2010 01:52 AM

dont know about the burning oil thing, probly just from milage. but the vibration issue could easily be your motor or tranny mounts.

AZFire316 01-27-2010 02:34 AM

Burning oil will greatly decrease fuel economy

jackal2000 01-27-2010 08:10 AM

head gasket?

AlbinoMonkeyRat 01-27-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal2000 (Post 522412)
head gasket?

this or piston rings.

undersc0re 01-27-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiterider00 (Post 511613)
mine burns a bit of oil too, but it has almost 180k miles, and its been doing it since i bought the car. roughly 1 qt between oil changes is what i have to add. and the light comes on for me taking hard left turns too. i assume the sensor for low oil is on the left(drivers) side of the engine and when all the oil moves to the other side during the turn, the sensor thinks ur low. suddenly burning that much doesnt seem good tho. most likely rings like everyone else said.

I go through a quart or more between oil changes since new as well, 2001 2.4L Maybe using mobil1 synthetic since it was new was a bad thing and the rings never seated properly? who knows.

a.graham52 02-02-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amun Ra (Post 522397)
Ok, bringing this one back. I'm burning oil as well and I die out at times. not often but rather once in blue moon. I also get a lot of vibration at stops while in drive and it goes away if I drop it into neutral. any ideas would be helpful. I was thinking maybe something to do with the EGR or FPR maybe....

my car shaes at idle too. its one of the engine/tranny mounts. if i park on an incline with only the trans in park, it vibrates like mad. if i put the parking brake on and slap her in neutral the vibe goes away.

comanche 02-04-2010 11:06 PM

Pull dipstick, check for milky stuff or sludgy stuff. That could indicate coolant in the oil.

When engine is COLD, pull coolant tank cap. Does it look all oily & sludgy inside?

Compression test. If 2 adjoining cylinders are both low, a likely head gasket.

You could also pressure test the cooling system.

When car is warm, and in decently warm temps, there should not be white smoke coming from the exhaust. White smoke indicates coolant being burned.

Some of your symptoms seem to lead to possibility of cracked head or bad head gasket. If you've been driving it for a few weeks.... hmm... and symptoms get worse.... possibly long term damage.... new engine...

CLEVEN 04-26-2010 07:12 PM

Yeah just driving today i had alot of white smoke too. But i mean alot of white smoke and when i pop the oil cap alot of smoke comes out of it, and the little pcv pipe spits out alot of white smoke too