Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Rear Small triangle window on a 4D.... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38618)

nicothehut 01-27-2016 07:24 PM

Rear Small triangle window on a 4D....

hey guys someone busted out my small triangle window on the rear of my 4D.
I went to the scrap yard and they have 2.
What i need to know is does anyone know how to get it out
i pulled off the door panels in the scrap yard but could not see how to get at that small back window out.

ANY HELP would be appreciated before i go back to the scrap yard guys.

1970cs 01-27-2016 09:14 PM

I believe those are glued in with black urethane! You may want to see how bad off that new glass is installed by a glass repair facility.

Pat

nicothehut 01-27-2016 09:57 PM

thanks for the reply pat.

do you think i could cut the window out of the moulding and take it to a shop to install ?

sleepyalero 01-27-2016 11:03 PM

Possible. But i heard those little windows are a PITA.

dschroed 01-27-2016 11:12 PM

I'm getting ready to go to the junkyard tomorrow to pull a windshield. I would just go at it with a razor blade and the windshield removal tool. I would think it would pop right out. Im going to pick up the windshield removal tool for like 15 bucks at harbor freight.

You could also look up some videos on Youtube on how to remove windshields. That will give you an idea of how to get through the urethane.

People install their own windshields all the time. I know I'm going to. I imagine those tiny corner windows are much easier than working a windshield perfectly into place.

If you do do it yourself, pictures and a how-to would be appreciated by everyone here. :thumb:

Bahlzeron 01-28-2016 12:12 AM

Use a removal kit, or also another method me and a buddy used a few times.... go slow and carefully as windows do break/crack rather easily (they are tough as hell, yet rather brittle). You'll need a sharp knife, and about two/two and half feet of small cable (bicycle brake cable, hood release cable, etc.) to act as a saw. Using the knife, make a small cut in the urethane, then feed the cable through it (you may need to push the cable through with the knife), using the cable as a saw, cut around the perimeter of the window. Works best with two people. I've done it this way before, just go slow.. if you get in a hurry it's easy to mess up and break the window.

nicothehut 01-28-2016 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone...guess i am spending Saturday morning in the junk yard.

Bahlzeron 01-28-2016 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicothehut (Post 663414)
...guess i am spending Saturday morning in the junk yard.

Me too... this weekend is supposed to be above freezing and I need an unbroken plastic headlight mount piece, why did GM use such brittle fricken plastic for that.. :wtf2:

nicothehut 02-03-2016 09:24 PM

update...
The small triangle window is NOT glued in.
Its held in by 1 screw thats connected to long piece of moulding about half way down the door. This piece of moulding goes up and then all the way around the window.
To remove
Roll down rear window. remove screw and start moving glass and moulding side to side until in come out.

dschroed 02-03-2016 10:24 PM

great thing to know. thanks for the update :thumb:

falloutboy 02-04-2016 02:40 PM

took pics while you installed it again?

nicothehut 02-05-2016 07:41 PM

No busy week at work no time. So i dropped on my coffee break with the window i pulled in the scrap yard to a glass installer down the street from my work. Cost me $47.