Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ecotec Simple Low Cost Mods (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25959)

AleroDrime 02-22-2009 03:17 PM

Ecotec Simple Low Cost Mods

hey i tried teh search button but it didnt really give me any info

im not building a race car and the ecotec is pretty fast as is, i just want to know some simple mods for the motor like >100 type stuff to make it get better gas and jsut a little more power to accept the abuse of a heavy foot?

Im already looking at an intake

but plugs and other things id love some advice on:scpimp:

99alerogirl 02-22-2009 03:28 PM

enter ion... NOW

http://sites.google.com/site/aleromodupgrades/

HazMatt24 02-22-2009 03:30 PM

not exactly adding power, but you can gut it. Lighter = faster and removing stuff is usually free.

Exhaust is probably #2 after intake, but that's gonna run you more than a C note. Run 91 octane, that'll cost you less than a hundo for a short period of time

AleroDrime 02-22-2009 03:32 PM

i think a cherrybombs gonna be put on, not real power of anyting but i got a good man to do it

HazMatt24 02-22-2009 03:39 PM

why???

I got a full cat 2.5" with a 40 Series Flowmaster installed for under $300, and that was with tossing the guy a couple bucks for doing right away when I walked in

AleroDrime 02-22-2009 03:51 PM

80 bucks is why withe two dual exit tips

Misuseofyou 02-22-2009 03:56 PM

mmmmm rice. Who brought soya?

Vinalero 02-22-2009 04:00 PM

Dude, forget about the cherry bomb... Do it right or don't do it, you will regret it.

Intake, Bigger Throttle body, higher octane gas, Removing your Catalytic converter*, Push more air in your tires ( check on the side of your tire and look for max pressure, put that much pressure in your 4 tires), new plugs, Removing weight (Ex. Spare tire and Jack, unwanted things in the trunk, etc...)

Those are all little things that will make your car a bit faster, and save you some MPG

*Which will make your car illegal, throw a SES code, but does give some hp for low cost.

Misuseofyou 02-22-2009 04:04 PM

Its been said here that removing your cat will hurt your MPG, and only gain you a tiny bit of HP.

Vinalero 02-22-2009 04:35 PM

Thats not what was said. Gutting your cat will put more restriction in your exhaust and could damage your mpg.

Removing the cat will free some hp, which will reduce slightly the mpg, but will be illegal in terms of emissions.

High flow cat is almost the same as no cat in terms of power.

But the stock cat is more restrictive, and you will see a difference :

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ers/index.html

"The 5hp gained from losing the factory cat for the metallic one is substantial. If the engine were to later receive more extensive mods, the benefits would probably be even greater. What it all boils down to is that a good aftermarket high-flow cat can indeed flow better than a stock unit, and almost as well as a straight pipe. When you can have all the benefits of removing the cat without the risk of getting busted, it's kind of like having your cake and eating it too."

take in consideration that the test car is a Civic, which engine is torqueless. The gains will be different from a car to the other. I'd say bigger or more powerful engine will see bigger gains.

cherrington17 02-22-2009 04:35 PM

loss of backpressure on a stock engine (force induction is different) you car will see negative results

Vinalero 02-22-2009 04:41 PM

Tubing size of the exhaust gives the most of the back pressure + mufflers.

Of course if you run a straight pipe of the same diameter or bigger directly from the exhaust port, you'll see a substancial low end power loss and nothing much in high rpm.

[ion] C2 02-22-2009 05:57 PM

ugh... misinformation

backpressure is not what things are about. it's about maintaining a certain exhaust velocity, to pull out the combustion gases from the engine. exhaust can't be too restrictive, as air won't flow as much. can't be too big, because air will move too slowly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroRacing (Post 432540)
the ecotec is pretty fast as is

16 second cars are so fast! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99alerogirl (Post 432542)

this would be good if he had the 2.4L, I don't have much on the Eco yet.

AleroDrime 02-22-2009 07:00 PM

the boys doing my exhuast for 80 with a cherrybomb are repining it from teh front to the back, split at the very rear, they did my straight 6 on my truck the same way, all other mechanics siad it would make my truck raspy and buzz but in the end it had a nice deep roar to be admired

AleroDrime 02-22-2009 07:02 PM

what are the name and numbers for some good plugs for this motor and what could be gutted other then the spare and jack with out being visually noticable

Vinalero 02-22-2009 07:07 PM

Thx Ion, just didnt know how to explain this :)

[ion] C2 02-22-2009 07:31 PM

NO on the Cherry Bomb. You will regret it. It's a 4 cylinder. Get a Magnaflow or Dynomax Super Turbo (or both, like I have, inline).

Also, it's an engine, not a motor. Engines use fuel and combusion; motors use electricity and magnetism. (Personal peeve, though everyone uses it interchangeably).

What are good plugs? Anything but BOSCH. I only use NGK. NGK TR55 are what you need.

Besides the spare tire and jack, there's nothing you can "gut" without people seeing.

AbHeLlRaZoR 02-22-2009 07:36 PM

read an ecotec forum like ecotecpower.com or ecotecforum.com there both pretty useful sites for ecotec specific engines but if your looking to spend less than a $100 you have very little to no options. and like Ion says No Cherry Bombs I have a Magnaflow on mine and I love the way it sounds.

[ion] C2 02-22-2009 07:38 PM

www.j-body.org is one of the best forums to find any information on the 2.2L or 2.4L.

99alerogirl 02-22-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 432583)
this would be good if he had the 2.4L, I don't have much on the Eco yet.

yeah, noticed that after i posted :banghead: