Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Recent Repairs/Upgrades (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36145)

settite 07-16-2012 05:29 PM

Recent Repairs/Upgrades

So recently it seems everything on my car has wanted to break but at least they were all pretty easy fixes except for one of them. My air box/resonator broke and I replaced it with a chromeintakes intake. The lower support on my radiator broke and I ended up making a new one out of aircraft aluminum which shouldn't even think about breaking now. All the plastic parts and supports really annoy me... And my fuel pump died so I had to end up replacing it and got a decent bosch pump off of ebay. Below are the pics of the support and the intake!

Edit: Note - I did have to modify the intake I got some to fit properly... I replaced the 45 degree pipe with 90 degree attached to the air filter. The bracket had to be bent and moved to another hose clamp to fit and I had to bore out the mass air sensor gasket a little bit so that the one on the Alero would fit and it was still a tough fit.

As for the radiator support it took a bit of work to drill out the old screws that the old support used so I could bolt the one I fabricated in. Also, I wanted the flex in it to give it some positive suspension and a little more shock absorption compared to the plastic one.

settite 07-16-2012 10:15 PM

I would like to convert that intake into a full CAI. Any recommendations on where to get the piping to do so? And any suggestions on bypass valves?

a.graham52 07-17-2012 07:18 AM

ebay. purchase a cold air intake for a 3400 and you should have all the parts to add to what you have.

DRM Racing 07-17-2012 11:01 AM

thats a clean install on the intake! and like graham said just look on ebay for tubing or just get the CAI for the grand am/ alero. I have the CAI on the grand am but you will have issues with water when it rains if you dont have a bypass filter installed in between the cone filter and the intake.

settite 07-17-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM Racing (Post 621428)
thats a clean install on the intake! and like graham said just look on ebay for tubing or just get the CAI for the grand am/ alero. I have the CAI on the grand am but you will have issues with water when it rains if you dont have a bypass filter installed in between the cone filter and the intake.

Thanks for the compliment on the clean install. Living in WA I know I will need a bypass and I will for sure check out ebay. I got this intake from Chromeintakes but used a K&N filter instead of the one they shipped with it. Not sure which gives better performance but I trust the K&N branded filter more than theirs unless they just rebrand K&N cone filters as theirs.

Would you recommend taking out the rest of the original intake piping that is in the wheel well or just leaving it until I get the pieces to make it a full CAI? Not sure if it is restricting air flow at all.

03Sleepr 07-17-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by settite (Post 621436)

Would you recommend taking out the rest of the original intake piping that is in the wheel well or just leaving it until I get the pieces to make it a full CAI? Not sure if it is restricting air flow at all.

take it out...and sadly I lost like .8mpg when I switched the cheapo filter with a K&N..

settite 07-17-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Sleepr (Post 621467)
take it out...and sadly I lost like .8mpg when I switched the cheapo filter with a K&N..

Alright. So should I stay with the K&N or use the chromeintakes filter?

03Sleepr 07-17-2012 07:55 PM

K&N is a safer bet...plus it has a lifetime warranty..

settite 07-17-2012 07:57 PM

True. Really can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty. .8mpg isn't that much either for reliability.

DRM Racing 07-19-2012 08:43 PM

yea i would take out the remaining parts so when you do upgrade its already done and out of the way