Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   5sp gears not engaging (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38059)

Papa Rad17 07-10-2014 04:25 PM

5sp gears not engaging

This is for my roommates 98 2.4 sunfire. it drove fine 12 hours ago but he went out to go to work and it will not let it go into any gear. clutch fluid is fine, he is dead set on it being low transmission fluid but im not convinced. Recently when shifting into reverse it will grind gears going in. To me it felt like the clutch was going out on it. I dont know how similar the 2.2 clutch vs the 2.4 is but mine slaps me in the bottom of my foot a bit, his is very lazy on popping back up. Now it doesnt feel like its engaging the clutch all the way, just by feel of it. thus preventing it from going into any gears if thats the case. of course we all know gm locked us out of checking trans fluid levels. suggestions?
my first thought- drop the pan, check it out. if all looks ok refill with exact factory spec fluid amount, see what happens. good first step or no?

Papa Rad17 07-10-2014 04:35 PM

I went back out to further diagnose. before starting the car I ran through the gears. felt fine. started it, got into reverse fine, backed up a few yards. into first just fine back up to where I started. Then i went to go through the gears, and it wasnt happening. grinded when I tried reverse.

sleepyalero 07-10-2014 05:09 PM

Uhh thats tricky. There should be a check plug on it somewhere... but low trans fluid shouldnt keep it from going in gear. The 1-5 gears could be fried... if it will go in reverse and back up then it should do the same 1-5 I dont think the clutch is an issue. Even if the clutch was bad you could still slam it in gear and still drive it im sure. Or maybe a bad solenoid or something. Idk.

a.graham52 07-10-2014 06:53 PM

check the clutch fluid and bleed it for air. sounds clutch related. low trans fluid will not cause the problem. atleast not for a while. low clutch fluid or bad clutch more likley.

[ion] C2 07-10-2014 07:18 PM

clutch not disengaging seems likely

on the 2.4 there is a viewing hole, don't know if the 2.2 has it. can raise the car, have it running and visually tell if the clutch moves and is engaging/disengaging

also if the car is in the air, it should go into any gear even if the clutch won't disengage, as there won't really be much stress on the synchronizers with no ground to load against

rocketfast321 07-10-2014 07:23 PM

Change your clutch fluid. If it looks like mud, change it.

tw0123 07-10-2014 08:42 PM

If the peddle won't move or is sticking on the floor it could be the master cylinder on the way out which could burn the clutch completely if you keep trying it.... I had that happen to me with my 5 speed before Christmas....

Papa Rad17 07-11-2014 02:29 AM

the problem is believed to be air in the clutch fluid. we found some sunfire specific info. I also found a trans fluid dip stick o.O but the clutch fluid was originally mounted on the factory intake, when we installed the warm air we mounted it on the strut tower bar. like most sunfire people who apparently do that it let some air in the line and proper mounting and bleeding should fix it.

Papa Rad17 07-13-2014 01:11 AM

the issue does not seem to be air in the fluid, we've bled the crap out of it and still nothing.

Papa Rad17 07-13-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 656453)
clutch not disengaging seems likely

on the 2.4 there is a viewing hole, don't know if the 2.2 has it. can raise the car, have it running and visually tell if the clutch moves and is engaging/disengaging

also if the car is in the air, it should go into any gear even if the clutch won't disengage, as there won't really be much stress on the synchronizers with no ground to load against

having trouble finding this viewing hole. what are we looking for?

Papa Rad17 07-13-2014 01:19 AM

sorry multiple posts. now believe a slave cylinder problem. Where the fitting sticking outside of the transmission is, below the bleeder where the clutch fluid line attaches. it has about 3, maybe 4 inches of play.

[ion] C2 07-13-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 656496)
having trouble finding this viewing hole. what are we looking for?

it's where i broke a piece off