Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Exhaust (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33543)

Alero779 02-28-2011 01:32 PM

Exhaust

Hey what's up everyone my name is Ross & I'm new to this site. I'm interested in doing an aftermarket exhaust on my 2003 Alero 2-Door. I would like to have a deeper tone but not necessarily loud unless I got on it. The engine setup is the 2.2 ECOTEC with a 5-spd. If anyone had some good input that would be great! :thumb:

Cheers,
Rosscoe

Redog 02-28-2011 02:14 PM

First off I'm jealous that you have the 5-speed

Maybe one of the eco guys can help you out better, however the inlne engine will sound like a lawnmower if it's not done right. I've heard people used 2 mufflers on the exhaust to keep it toned down

Ttop191 02-28-2011 03:03 PM

youtube, youtube, and then youtube some more...any cavalier, sunfire, grand am, or cobalt with the 2.2 will sound the same...just find videos, read the descriptions, and choose what set-up you like the best

Fenderxcore 02-28-2011 06:48 PM

I have a header back exhaust system for sale for $400...pacesetter Header, magnaflow High flow cat, and pacesetter dual outlet piping...Along with both 02 sensors...Over a thousand dollar value an it only has 6 months of use

colonel6632 02-28-2011 08:01 PM

i've got the same setup as you! 2.2 and 5 speed.

wanna buy mine redog? i can buy another 5 speed any day. 2.2 or 2.4.

anyways. welcome to the site, and i'd take fenderxcore's offer. i really want too, but the shipping thing is hard to figure out.

and fender, i'd still be interested

scotty11811 05-16-2011 12:09 PM

I got the magna flow in my 2.2 5 speed and it roars

spc2125 02-22-2012 11:06 AM

i got the dynomax super turbo muffler today and i put it on but it sounds worse than the pacesetter. SO RASPY!

Any other suggestions that will really tone down the noise?

Also, does having the headers and high flow cat have anything to do with the really raspy sound or loudness (i would assume so because there is more airflow)

JLw7123 02-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 609922)
i got the dynomax super turbo muffler today and i put it on but it sounds worse than the pacesetter. SO RASPY!

Any other suggestions that will really tone down the noise?

Also, does having the headers and high flow cat have anything to do with the really raspy sound or loudness (i would assume so because there is more airflow)

I already told you YOU NEED A RESONATOR then it will sound better. get an 80 series muffler or a dual outlet muffler like ion c2.

spc2125 02-22-2012 11:50 AM

because i bought my exhaust from fenderxcore, the pipe isnt straight, it goes to a curve out the back, then i put the muffler on so it will fit the dual outlet

so when i put on a new muffler, its kinda where the stock muffler is, except it lets out sideways. thats a problem because it droops down and eventually falls to the ground.

so i think i need to cut the piping so that it is straight again and maybe put a magnaflow muffler on

JLw7123 02-22-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 609930)
because i bought my exhaust from fenderxcore, the pipe isnt straight, it goes to a curve out the back, then i put the muffler on so it will fit the dual outlet

so when i put on a new muffler, its kinda where the stock muffler is, except it lets out sideways. thats a problem because it droops down and eventually falls to the ground.

so i think i need to cut the piping so that it is straight again and maybe put a magnaflow muffler on

well you will need to weld the muffler on if u want to properly to install it and get a resonator will help with the raspyness.

spc2125 02-22-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLw7123 (Post 609931)
well you will need to weld the muffler on if u want to properly to install it and get a resonator will help with the raspyness.

well if i weld it on then it will be permanent and what if i dont like the sound?
im screwed

[ion] C2 02-22-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLw7123 (Post 609923)
I already told you YOU NEED A RESONATOR then it will sound better. get an 80 series muffler or a dual outlet muffler like ion c2.

my dual outlet muffler is a Dynomax Super Turbo

but I have a Magnaflow straight-through muffler where the catalytic converter used to be

spc2125 02-22-2012 01:22 PM

If you can see at the beginning it shows how my piping is curved

I took a video of the exhaust with no muffler just for ****s and giggles

I placed my phone against something to start the video and as soon as i turned my car on, it fell haha
p.s you might want to lower your volume

spc2125 02-22-2012 10:53 PM

What are all the other ecotec guys running?
got a video?

Philbar71 02-23-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 609939)

I placed my phone against something to start the video and as soon as i turned my car on, it fell haha

Sir... You have an exhaust leak... Get it welded together the right way. A shop wont charge you any more than maybe $80-100 bucks to weld it together.

JLw7123 02-23-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philbar71 (Post 610005)
Sir... You have an exhaust leak... Get it welded together the right way. A shop wont charge you any more than maybe $80-100 bucks to weld it together.

yes pacesetter headers and catbacks are known to rust out just replace everything with 2.25 then use the dynomax super turbo muffler and a resonator. I wish i was back home in NH then i could help you with the welding of the piping . you could also replace the header if you want to. There is a good exhaust shop that will make u an exhaust it is called Lou's exhaust. Heres a link
http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/locations.html

spc2125 02-23-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLw7123 (Post 610010)
yes pacesetter headers and catbacks are known to rust out just replace everything with 2.25 then use the dynomax super turbo muffler and a resonator. I wish i was back home in NH then i could help you with the welding of the piping . you could also replace the header if you want to. There is a good exhaust shop that will make u an exhaust it is called Lou's exhaust. Heres a link
http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/locations.html

i know Lou's, I called them and asked for an estimate for how much it would cost to install the headers I got and they friggen said $300! so i was like, ok goodbye.
and I ended up just installing them myself, along with the whole exhaust in 2 days

billytheman1188 02-23-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 609939)

Ew.....lol. That sounds horrible and is waaaaay to loud:lol:

JLw7123 02-23-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 610011)
i know Lou's, I called them and asked for an estimate for how much it would cost to install the headers I got and they friggen said $300! so i was like, ok goodbye.
and I ended up just installing them myself, along with the whole exhaust in 2 days

yes but if u get the exhaust fixed or replaced it will cost you money also and 300 bucks is not that bad. you should have never gotten the pacesetter exhaust for what u paid for it you could have gotten a dynomax super turbo muffler or magnaflow and piping. the pacesetter only sounds good on the v6.

Alerojester 02-23-2012 10:46 AM

on a exhaust note here i have a ld9 with all the factory piping BUT the factory muffler i decided that a fart can was a cool thing NOT IN A MILLION YEARS will i do that again so im goin to a flowmaster on it i think it sounds way better