Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dial kit Installation (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17349)

redrider07 04-11-2007 01:39 AM

Dial kit Installation

So I have decided I am going to install the dials myself, still have a couple of questions...

1) Can I use glue instead of tape, to lay the dials over the originals?
2) If I bump the needles, is it fine as long as I remember where they are?( I might buy an extra gauge cluster, in the pictures the needles are NOT set at zero)

3) Finally, If I remove the needles, what do I use...needle nose pliars, fork....?

Thanks guys,
Don't what to f*ck anything up...that is why I am buying a spare...and asking these questions!

cavaliers60 04-11-2007 01:48 AM

I would just buy some double side sticky tape and go with that.... Glue might ruin the inserts and push it up a bit...

Not sure about the bumping the needles... I've read that you should be VERY careful about that, and I'm also not sure about removing them... definately not needle nose pliars. lol And most certainly not a fork!

j{}n 04-11-2007 03:47 AM

use double sided tape, use caution with the needles, and don't take them off or use a fork.

Satsuriku 04-11-2007 10:50 AM

FORK FTW!!

lol jk just go with what those guys said :)

[ion] C2 04-11-2007 11:40 AM

wouldn't double sided tape eventually not hold them anymore, sooner than it would if they were glued, i was wondering if you could glue them as well

Naich 04-11-2007 11:44 AM

I believe I was one of the first ones to install the guages back in 2001, and I used double sided tape. It is still holding up fine today.

Ghadsphi 04-11-2007 08:40 PM

You probably could use glue, shouldn't cause much problem just make sure to push them down as flat as you can. You can move the needles around as much as you need, just don't pop them off, just set them all back to zero before you close it back up since that's where they are when your can is turned off and you unplugged them, I would definatly recomend using the double sided tape though. It will make lining up the idiot lights easier. Just put a bunch on before you slide them on. I didn't like the cheap scotched double sided tape I had and ended up picking up some Duck Permenant double sided which held better. It's a pretty easy install.

redrider07 04-11-2007 08:58 PM

I am thinking of setting the gauges on a cluster I will buy. In the picture, the needles are NOT set at zero. So, should I power the gauges first to set them to zero, or just remember where they are. This way, I don't fork up my original dash, and can put my stock dash in if I have to.

Thanks guys :)

Ghadsphi 04-11-2007 10:34 PM

Just set all the needles to zero and plug them in, turn the ignition and make sure they go to the same spot your originals go to. I really doubt you're going to mess up this install though. It's just about as tough as putting your spare tire on.

redrider07 04-11-2007 11:43 PM

Ok, no more further questions! I appreciate all your guys help, I don't do a lot of car modding so I want to at least make sure I have a good idea about something.

Thanks a lot :)

billytheman1188 04-12-2007 12:04 AM

tape works, but the other ideas are better. i used tape, i tried to hide the tape where i thought the black part would go, but i didnt, so during the day you can see parts of the tape, not a big deal at all, but for some people it might annoy them.

billytheman1188 04-12-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrider07 (Post 272049)
I don't do a lot of car modding

well you came to the right place to learn some more, this is the greatest place to learn about the alero, and other cars!!