Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Transmission (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34858)

[ion] C2 10-03-2011 07:36 PM

Transmission

My transmission has always appeared "rock solid" to me, in the essence that it shifts fast and hard on the upshifts, no issues launching etc., but more recently (year or so ago) I really started to notice how it has a huge delay in engaging when it downshifts in the higher RPMs.. (cruising at 45 then punch it, or on the highway if I give it throttle and it downshifts, doesn't even have to be full throttle, just enough to drop it down will make a noticeable slip) Seems like it takes a bit before it actually starts moving faster. I always shrugged it off as the nature of an auto but really, it's slipping a bit too much. It doesn't seem like it can transfer the power to the wheels well. It's always seemed like it lacks power in the high RPM/high speeds area.. (like halfway down the track, it's like I'm not really accelerating much) Of course it has 226,000 miles and I've never checked or changed the fluid/filter...

I'm going to go to the track this week probably anyway since it's always been like this each time I go to the track, but I definitely will be needing a transmission replacement soon.

So which should I get?

Redog 10-03-2011 08:12 PM

That is really a good question.

The 4t45 would probably be a better choice for an auto since it can handle more torque in stock forum and would be maybe a better choice if your going to be dragging the car v the stick which leaves a lot of room for error in drag racing.

However the stick is always a fun choice, lighter, and can be easily upgraded by the simple swap of a clutch.

How often do you go to the track? If you go every week or every other week, you'll be able to get the shift points down pretty quick. If you go every so often, an auto might be better.

Just a few things to think about

[ion] C2 10-03-2011 08:17 PM

Spyhunter has an F23 laying around and "may have a ridiculous overpowered clutch" for me too..

Personally. I want to get the most power to the ground. I want to know that it's getting there... I mean if I swap another 4T40/45 in, it might not handle it either and just slip in the high RPMs and quick shifts too, even factory and in good condition... whereas I know the Getrag has been shown to work, and it's FAR easier to dyno a manual..

On a side note, wonder if my trans fluid is just poor quality and/or low... filling it up with some stop-slip additive might help it transfer more power down.

guiguilandry 10-03-2011 09:09 PM

go f23 you'll be happy

Papa Rad17 10-03-2011 10:05 PM

Auto is nice of course but I always love driving a manual, except for those nights when your tired and just want to get home and not worry about having to shift. But with the more power your car has I think the manual would be more fun myself. But it all really depends on if you want to have to deal with shifting. And of course the power handling of them, by I don't know crap about that.

zearchyo 10-03-2011 11:05 PM

auto is said to be better with turbos.

[ion] C2 10-03-2011 11:29 PM

Not really.

Shiwnath 10-03-2011 11:36 PM

F23 can handle a decent amount...according to this, atleast 300 ft-lbs torque:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...=32698&t=32698
IIRC if you go the 4T45E route, go with an 03+ because it's internals are supposed to be more reliable than the earlier models.

[ion] C2 10-04-2011 12:11 AM

I'd like to switch to the F23.

Now what do I need to acquire to do the swap? Lol. I'll be having a shop help me (or do nearly everything) as I am total newb to transmission stuff.

Philbar71 10-04-2011 12:12 AM

Something also to consider is the FDR and gearing of the different transmissions. Ideally you would choose the trans that has the best gear and FRD that kept the engine near peak power and torque.

guiguilandry 10-04-2011 10:19 AM

you obviously need tranny, clutch, flywheel, axles... also you need shifter assembly and cables with brackets, center console, pedals from a 5 speed with the clutch switch if you wanna do it right, complete clutch line , master and slave cylinder.. I think that's about it...

some wiring and connector will need to be done...

[ion] C2 10-04-2011 10:35 AM

I'll need the mounts for the F23 too... possibly entire subframe?

Shiwnath 10-04-2011 11:06 AM

I wonder if you need the entire center console or just the shifter trim piece..also if all of the lights on the P R N D 3 2 1 portion of the cluster will be just be off because the shift assembly will be completly different.

TheEdgeofSanity 10-04-2011 11:23 AM

I would say for your sake, I would just go for the auto 4T40 to avoid a complete overhaul. In the mean time though, I would drop your tranny pan and change the fluid out and filter out. You'd be surprised what a clogged up tranny filter can do. When I got my car, I was nearly sure my transmission was gone because it slipped so bad and after having new fluid and filter, its gone another 50K with no issues. just saying, easy maintenance before huge undertaking!

[ion] C2 10-04-2011 02:01 PM

yeah i'll check the fluid for sure.. the auto would be insanely easier and faster to swap but i think this trans will hold until i acquire all the parts for the swap to the F23

it's pretty much settled, i want a manual.

heineck 10-04-2011 02:31 PM

do it. so much more fun to drive a manual. make sure u toss an LSD pack in there :awesome:

[ion] C2 10-04-2011 07:35 PM

Bah I need to fix my shifts, it definitely holds the power at wide open (just took two people for separate rides), but it has a tendency to hit the rev limiter and bounce lol. I thought I fixed that on a previous tune but I think I lost that transitional tune between switching laptops and such over the past few months. Lameeee.

I'll see what I can do about it and hopefully will be at the track tomorrow night. Feels strong.

robalero 10-04-2011 07:55 PM

im surprised you didn't get a manual to begin with. I don't know how you drove the car as an auto before you turbo'd it I have always said I couldn't drive my 2.4L alero if it was an auto it be too slow

[ion] C2 10-04-2011 08:00 PM

Oh no it's quick, lol. It appears that the issue is with downshifting and such.. slow to engage. Right now it appears that normal upshifts are strong.

But it will be a hellofa lot faster with the Getrag F23.. and I'll be able to get on the dyno easily and get some accurate numbers.

robalero 10-04-2011 08:44 PM

drop that pan, get a new filter ( gasket ) and clean your magnet and use some dex 6 ( believe thats the newest stuff out there ) and ull be fliying again auto tranny's need to be serviced quite often.....now that I think of it I don't think ill be able to drive an auto again I try driving the gf/s sx 2.0 but its just too slow as an auto