Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Adapters for rear Monsoon speakers? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220)

Garfield 11-11-2014 11:08 AM

Adapters for rear Monsoon speakers?

So, as I would expect, the rear Monsoon speakers are blown. (Surprise! :lol:)

Does anyone know if someone makes an adapter to plug into the factory harness to hook up replacement speakers for a 2004? (My 2000 had a different harness with two separate connectors instead of the one combined one in the 2004.)

I know I could cut the connector off, but I really hate cutting factory wiring...

negolien 11-11-2014 12:46 PM

You can get Soundstream sst6.9's that will fit right in if I remember correctly. I replaced my stocks with those they are bi-amped.

That01Olds 11-11-2014 12:55 PM

I know when my parents replaced the rear Monsoon speakers on their 04 Grand Am GT, they just went ahead and ordered another set of the stock speakers off GMpartsdirect.com.

03glgold 11-11-2014 01:18 PM

If you use the correct color combination then regular speakers work fine. I have posted what combo that was at one point, but will have to dig through the site to find it.

Garfield 11-11-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negolien (Post 658327)
You can get Soundstream sst6.9's that will fit right in if I remember correctly. I replaced my stocks with those they are bi-amped.

They are what I was thinking of getting, but they don't have an OEM connector do they? (Did you just chop the OEM connector off and put your own connectors on?)

negolien 11-11-2014 05:21 PM

Hum someone posted this a while ago but I can't remember where I put the pictures. The connector is there if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can't dig something up. I replaced em a couple of months ago with Kappa's and a new amp.

Garfield 11-12-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negolien (Post 658327)

I wouldn't say that they "fit right in" you have to cut all the tabs off of the factory brackets, and then either cut out the hole in the deck or bend the metal to make room for the speakers to fit...

Garfield 11-12-2014 01:53 AM

Well crap, I got the SSTs but one of them has a defective tweeter. and I don't know that the other one sounded all that good.

Anybody have any suggestions for another bi-amp speaker to put back there?

negolien 11-12-2014 10:58 AM

I loved mine they really had a lot of punch to be honest I was surprised. Sucks you got a lemon. Keep the crossover and you can always use it when upgrading to a normal amp.

number53alero 11-12-2014 02:55 PM

When mine blew I got a pair of Pioneer 6x9's and they fit right in the factory plastic mounting brackets OK, no metal bending needed! I already had an aftermarket HU so I ran some speaker wire from the HU to the 6x9's and all is good.

Nas Escobar 11-12-2014 02:57 PM

You could just amp the whole car with a 4 channel amp. Those thing are getting pretty cheap for a decent amp nowadays. It won't be JL Audio or Skar but it will be CEA 2006 rated and that's what matters more than anything.

Easier than finding bi-amped speakers.

Garfield 11-12-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negolien (Post 658354)
I loved mine they really had a lot of punch to be honest I was surprised. Sucks you got a lemon. Keep the crossover and you can always use it when upgrading to a normal amp.

The bass portion seems to be just fine, if anything there is too much.

It just seems the treble was muffled and muddy from one of the speakers and completely non-existant on the other. They want to send me a replacement set of speakers, so I guess I will wait and see how they work out.

negolien 11-12-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 658368)
You could just amp the whole car with a 4 channel amp. Those thing are getting pretty cheap for a decent amp nowadays. It won't be JL Audio or Skar but it will be CEA 2006 rated and that's what matters more than anything.

Easier than finding bi-amped speakers.

That's a thought though wiring and install is more of an issue than an amp. I got a really nice Kenwood Excelon x400/4 for like $135 refurbed. As for the wiring and install yeah not so cheap for a 4 channel. Depends how comfortable you are doing stuff yourself.

Hopefully they send you a replacement that works for you. Keep us in the loop please.

Nas Escobar 11-13-2014 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negolien (Post 658381)
That's a thought though wiring and install is more of an issue than an amp. I got a really nice Kenwood Excelon x400/4 for like $135 refurbed. As for the wiring and install yeah not so cheap for a 4 channel. Depends how comfortable you are doing stuff yourself.

Hopefully they send you a replacement that works for you. Keep us in the loop please.

Of course, but it's pretty hard to butcher speaker wiring. Also, as long as the cable is OFC, you can use "house speaker wire". Best Buy sells a reel of 50 ft for $25 or so. As long as the wiring is stranded, no problems.

negolien 11-13-2014 12:24 PM

Just because it's on the subject this is what I run and it's for sale.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...bly-parts.html

_HeC_ 11-25-2014 07:59 PM

i had the lows on my rear monsoon speakers blow so cut the wires and ran them to 2 12s(2ohm each) and left the highs hooked up on the factory 6x9 and sounded rather awesome for what it was, had people shocked when I told them what was pushing the 12s haha

ran that for 6+months at least, some people will say you will blow the amp/subs but not true unless your stupid with it, the amp has no clue what is hooked up to it and as long as its wired to the proper ohm your good.... however distortion WILL blow the subs very easily so don't be stupid with the bass setting on your HU if you choose this route! I removed the 12s and installed a proper 400rms amp/wiring for some 10s but will probably be ripping that back out and search for some 8" subs to wire to the 6x9 lows again

tw0123 11-25-2014 09:24 PM

I just ripped all the stock stuff out and went full custom lol

smccarthy1883 11-26-2014 03:38 AM

I always rip stock audio out. Can't stand it.