Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ABS (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227)

Bumber 02-23-2004 12:04 PM

I can't stand ABS - under any conditions!

I want to kill it!

Same for traction; I get tired of shutting it off as soon as I start my engine - EVERY TIME!

Can somebody tell me if I can just unplug something somewhere?
Can I remove the whole system? (Lighten the car too)?
Or would my car just not brake worth beans afterwards?

3.4Alero 02-23-2004 12:14 PM

ABS and traction control are controlled by the wheel sensors within the sealed hub unit. This also contains the wheel bearings. Each hub has a plug near it that goes to the computer. If you unplug it, you will at least get an SVS light, the ABS light will come on, and the Trac-off light will come on. I'm not sure if the speed-o will quit or not.

Hey, here's an idea: there are enough of us that have had the hubs go bad (the electricals, not the bearings), so just have people send you their bad ones and you could send them back your good ones! That was a joke.

Pimpalero03 02-23-2004 12:32 PM

lol i had two go bad and replaced for free. WARRENTY baby

misslindseysue 02-23-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pimpalero03@Feb 23 2004, 12:32 PM
lol i had two go bad and replaced for free. WARRENTY baby
<_< My warrAnty was up long before anything serious went wrong. Damn me buying my car a MONTH before they started offering 60,000k/5 yr warranties. Then I could have paid for the extended, but nothing major had gone wrong...

I don't know about getting rid of ABS. Sounds like a huge PITA. Maybe there's a fuse? I dunno. Why do you hate it so much? Mine's saved my ass more than once.

overdrive75 02-23-2004 12:57 PM

Pull the fuse for the ABS, that will disable it. With ABS disabled, traction control will not work as ABS and traction control are one system. AS far as pulling it out of the car forget about it. There a big differences between and abs and non-abs car.

Final-Reality 02-23-2004 06:55 PM

Yeah disable ABS because locking up your front tires and sliding into an intersection is fun :rolleyes:

Keep your damn ABS on, you'll be glad you did first time you need to stop quickly in the rain or snow

BLK03GXS 02-24-2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Final-Reality@Feb 23 2004, 11:55 PM
Yeah disable ABS because locking up your front tires and sliding into an intersection is fun :rolleyes:

Keep your damn ABS on, you'll be glad you did first time you need to stop quickly in the rain or snow

i agree :thumbsup:
yah man, keep it, some ppl hate it but its save manny ppl,
If the wheels dont lock...you stop... i wish i had abs on my car, but i dont, lol
i know that the abs stops my rents 03 gmc 1500 hella quick, even in the rain and snow.

Fast Eddie 02-26-2004 01:49 AM

I was gonna say pull the fuse but I got beat to it. As for not liking it, the numbers prove its works, and far better than you do.

Purple&Black 02-26-2004 01:58 AM

Isn't the real question here WHY he would even want to disable it?

Damn...for the sake of everyone else on the road near him, he should keep it. Might save someone else's life in the rain if not his own.

Unless he's using the same faulty logic that my dad uses when he's hating airbags.

My Dad: "This guy was in an accident and the airbag broke his nose! If they didn't have the damn things, he'd be fine!"
Me: "Yeah, but they didn't tell you that without airbags, he'd have huge bruises on his shoulder from the seatbelt, might have broken his collarbone and may well have died. Death vs. a broken nose?"
My Mom: "Stop arguing, you two!"
:)

overdrive75 02-26-2004 07:18 AM

On thing to remember about 4 wheel ABS, it wasn't until about 10 years ago ABS started to become very popular on vehicles. What did people do before ABS?

justinusaf 02-26-2004 09:56 AM

I have a GS eclipse along with the Alero. In the rain and in dry weather i prefer the no-ABS-eclipse. It seems to work better for me. As far as in the snow. The alero handles the best by far. I guess you just have to know what you want.

Aleromaster 02-26-2004 11:06 AM

there has only been one time I was glad to not have ABS and that was when I had my 87 Cutlass Ciera Coupe and hit the brakes to avoid an accident and ended up parked un der the bed of a jack up truck 1/2" from his rear differential. If I had ABS I probably would of slid into the axel of that truck, But everyother time it saved my ass although I wish it was a little less sensitive.

springs fastest alero 03-01-2004 05:32 PM

Abs fo the most part will save your ass. especially on ice!
it kept me from being in an intercetion once on black ice
my friend behind me didnt have it. down shifted and pulsed his brakes. still kissed my car :(

I'm sure my blizzaks helped too though.

if you track race the car there are some times when abs can get ya in trouble
a trac off style button would be nice for this.
keep in mind pulling the fuse will turn on 3-4 lights in the dash
personally those would drive me up the wall worse than abs

Final-Reality 03-01-2004 09:26 PM

ABS, especially newer ABS systems, "pump" the brakes hundreds of times a second, far faster than anybody claims they can pump the brakes on their own..

Older systems arent quite as good, such as on my previous vechicle, a '91 chevy 1500 4x4 (which only had front ABS, not rear), it's "threshold" for the ABS kicking in seemed to me lower than in the alero, my theory is computers were far slower in '91 than they are today, so sensors couldnt analyze wheel lockup as quickly as they can today, and thus the threshold for the ABS was lower than it is now... right? Right? Maybe? :unsure:

Edit: If somebody claims such and such a vehicle without ABS is better at braking than such a such a vehicle WITH ABS, then it's probably that the vehicle without ABS is lighter or simply better at braking than the ABS-equipped car. (Such as the guy who said the Eclipse without ABS was better in the rain at stopping, but not in snow, thats because the Eclipse can simply stop better than an Alero can, and it takes a very slippery surface, such as snow, to realize the full benefits of ABS)

Bumber 03-03-2004 06:12 PM

Don't get me wrong, ABS are a great invention, especially if you haven't learned how to handle a car without them. They can save your butt on ice and sometimes in the rain - and ANY time you panic - which is why it is especially a great feature for an Oldsmobile - mostly driven by old people who don't want/aren't able to see a better way, or handle the better way out of the potential crash, then just pulling on the wheel and slamming the foot down. :o
Locking up the wheels, provided it's planned and accounted for in your emergency maneuver, CAN quite often, again, provided you know what your doing, stop you in a much safer manner, and in the case of snow (not ice) and gravel (on the side of all the roads around here (Ontario), with exclusion of major freeways, and grass or anything else that can build up under the tire, thereby increasing friction contact surface area, slow you down upwards of 30 - 60 feet sooner (given 100kph movement) than if your wheels were not allowed to lock up.
Yes, I do come from a family of strange drivers. B) We all prefer to know our cars responses and demand instant obedience (guess why I drive standard). Yes, we practice emergency maneuvers and have had to use them, so far, with great success (notta with the accidents). My personal preference is to lock and steer and maybe even yank on that parking brake and hit the gas to move me away in another direction (man I hate our emergency braking system (it's really only good for parking)), not straightline slam or even try to steer while ABSing.

Yet, in the end, the existence of orange lights on the dash all the time WOULD drive me more insane :pissed: than the ABS annoys me. I have had training in emergency braking on ice, with ABS, while dodging pylons (good fun). I will adjust to its existance and keep my ABS, if only because of the lights.

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

overdrive75 03-03-2004 06:55 PM

^^What are you talking about, do the laws of physics not apply to you as well. Static friction is by far higher than dynamic friction. If you tires do not lock up they are not sliding, therefore the contact patch of the tires to the traction surface is a static condition hence higher friction. Now if you lock your tires up, you have entered a dynamic state, and the coeffiecent of friction is considerably lower in this condition.

The one plain and simple test which has been run time and time again, by the automotive community, which includes the manufacturers, magazines, and independent testing houses, which involves, ABS vs. non-ABS, that he same vehicle with the ABS stops in a shorter distance than the identical vehicle without ABS.

That is the facts, the laws of physics apply to everyone.

I suppose if you want to drive wreckless like that and put others on the road in danger that is your business, but keep it over there please.

Crazy_Canuck 03-03-2004 07:45 PM

Patrick, I was just checking your spot out on cardomain.com

Are you a Yooper??? Dude, you are so lucky to live there if you are.... GODS COUNTRY! :P :thumbsup:

overdrive75 03-03-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crazy_Canuck@Mar 3 2004, 08:45 PM
Patrick, I was just checking your spot out on cardomain.com

Are you a Yooper??? Dude, you are so lucky to live there if you are.... GODS COUNTRY! :P :thumbsup:

No, Detroit area all the way. I did spend 4 years in the upper though for college. That's right graduated from MTU.

Fast Eddie 03-03-2004 10:41 PM

Final - I know what you're talking about the thresholds beign weird in older cars. I managed to slide my aunt's 91 camry through many and intersection :eek: I think the threshold actually was higher on those older vehicles, thereby it took more slip to get the ABS to "release" the brakes, and reapply them once again until slippage occurs.

Overdrive Is right. Do the laws of physics not apply to canucks? The only way you can pull some of the manuvers you are talking about are in a RWD car. As for having more or less friction due to debris or what not it doesn't matter (im not gonna debate the reality of this occuring). The ABS system uses threshold braking, this should be a known to you if you have been to driving schools, and the sensors monitor and ajust for tire spin thousands of time than any human, no matter how well you know your car, thereby stopping a vehicle faster no matter the grip of the tires or the slickness of the road. Once you learn how to drive with ABS you will actually have MORE control over you car. I took me awhile to recognize this but its true, esp on FWD cars.

Final-Reality 03-03-2004 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by overdrive75@Mar 3 2004, 08:43 PM
No, Detroit area all the way.
I wonder how many of us are from the windsor/detroit area...

Edit: I sense a "I'm a better driver than all of you so I don't need ABS" post by bumber, and his logic is retarded. Any and all testing has proven that you can stop faster with ABS than with non-ABS by a large margin. This includes simply locking the tires and sliding to a stop, or trying to keep the tires on the verge of locking up by modulating the pedal yourself. ABS is always far quicker, not just by the manufacturers but by independant auto magazines...

And I also don't want to hear about "control" when your tires are locked up. If you've ever locked up the front tires on your '91 chevy 4x4 in the snow *cough*, you'll know that there's nothing those wheels will do while locked up but slide forward.... and it's the same situation in rain or dry weather, only to a lesser extent. If your tires are sliding across the tarmac, grass, gravel, whatever, you can't exert as much control over your vehicle as you could if they were rolling across it. Hell even F1 drivers used to have ABS before it was banned by the FIA. Why do you think that is big shooter?