Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2002 Alero GX Coupe (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38288)

jasonargo 12-28-2014 01:59 PM

2002 Alero GX Coupe

Hi, I'm a new 2002 Alero GX owner, and here's my story (Hi Jason!). I went over a curb a few weeks ago with my 2001 Mustang, and the insurance company totalled it instead of repairing it. I really liked that car, but it was time to move on. I'm semi-retired (read: broke) and got less than $4k for the settlement on the Mustang. I'm not a mechanic, so used car shopping needed to include a (paid by me) trip to my mechanic for a check-out.

I drove a couple Monte Carlos that had obvious issues, and took a Grand Am GT to the mechanic with disastrous results (rust, leaks, gas tank hanging by a thread), so I was getting a bit frustrated. I was also finding a lot of folks not willing to let their cars be inspected, which was a deal breaker for me, especially in light of the GA results. And a lot of black cars for sale - who buys black cars in Texas?

I had previously owned a 1988 Grand Am which worked fine until I sunk a lot of bad money into engine replacements, so I knew the Alero was basically an Olds version of the GA. I even drove one during the car shopping I did back when I ended up with the Mustang.

I had spoken with the Alero owner early on, but he was pretty far out of town, which made the mechanic visit an issue. I called him back a week or so later, and it was still available, so I arranged for a drive. It turned out to be a (very) small used-car business. The story on the car was: it was traded in, one owner, great shape. It drove fine, body & interior were very nice, and the engine compartment was immaculate. I was negotiating a non-refundable $100 deposit to take it to the mechanic, but it was late in the day, which meant I would need to come back again the folllowing day early to take it. Plus needing to set up a ride home in case I returned it without buying it. But I had a good feeling about the car, so we worked out a 48-hour return option on a full purchase. I went to the bank, got the cash, & got the car.

I took it to the mechanic the next day, and all they could find was that it could use struts all around, and uneven tire wear indicating front-end alignment. Nothing earth-shattering, so I called the dealer and the deal was done. I think I may have overpaid slightly, but at $2200 plus TTL, I think I did ok. It's higher than KBB private party value, and at the upper end of dealer pricing.

So here's my new baby:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510116753/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510117003/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/16104037926/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

It has the 2.2 Eco-Tec engine, 187,500 miles, auto transmission, and supposedly an after-market exhaust system. I neglected to ask my mechanic about that while it was up on the rack, so no specifics. It has 18" Exel wheels with Yokohama 225/40/R18 tires, one of which has a plug in it. I just filled it up for the 1st time, so I have yet to check out the gas mileage. There is some wear in the back seat carpet, but there are floor mats for all 4 seats. It also has a dash mat in front. Power door locks, but no keyless entry, manual windows, ABS, anti-theft.

Issues:
I can't come up with a value on the wheels. No manufacturer site on the internet that I can find, only that they used to be sold by wheelmax.com, but wheelmax no longer lists the brand on their site. Not a good sign.

When idling in Drive with the brake depressed it has a low-end rumble/vibration, which disappears once you let up on the brake. Ideas?

It's nice to know there's a community to lean on if needed. Thanks for being here, and it's nice to be a member.

-

sleepyalero 12-28-2014 04:09 PM

Nice. Pics dont show though. But welcome. :)

Garfield 12-28-2014 04:13 PM

Here are fixed up links to the pictures:

Oldsnut 12-28-2014 05:30 PM

Welcome

Babyblue 12-28-2014 06:50 PM

Very clean. Welcome to the site !

sleepyalero 12-28-2014 08:43 PM

Take off the lame autzone fender vents that someone slapped on and ill like the car alot more. (No offense)

Little headlight cleaning and that car will look pretty darn good.

That01Olds 12-28-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 659204)
Take off the lame autzone fender vents that someone slapped on and ill like the car alot more. (No offense)

Little headlight cleaning and that car will look pretty darn good.

I have to agree with sleepy on this one lol. Those vents need to go. Other than that welcome to the site and nice Alero! I've always liked that color on those cars.

jasonargo 12-29-2014 12:10 AM

Thanks to all.

I'm not sure what happened with the pics, the links from Flickr normally work for me on other boards. Muchas gracias Garfield for reposting them for me.

I wondered about those "fender vents", had no idea they were add-ons. It may be gauche but I kinda like 'em.

Another issue, the AVS door visors are hanging on by a thread. I bought some 2-sided foam tape that I hope will fix it up.

Is there any reason to worry about the idle vibration with the brake on, or is that something normal?

-

01OhioAlero 12-29-2014 01:16 AM

Sounds like a motor/trans mount could be shot.

Papa Rad17 12-29-2014 03:44 AM

not bad. welcome, happy modding!

smccarthy1883 12-29-2014 03:51 AM

Welcome to the forum. Love the wheels. Let me know if ya wanna sell em.

Nas Escobar 12-29-2014 04:07 AM

$2200 for 188k is pretty high up there.

Nice find though.

Welcome to the forum btw.

[ion] C2 12-29-2014 10:42 AM

- fender vents
- window guards
- front plate holder

+ lowering springs
+ clear headlight corners & polishing up