Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "undercarriage" plastic parts... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32820)

AlbinoMonkeyRat 11-13-2010 03:38 PM

"undercarriage" plastic parts...

yeah, I need them...bad. my car was on a lift yesterday for an oil change and tire rotation (coupons made it cheaper, and the apt I live in is under a "no parking lot mechanic" rule) and I could see my oil pan...and everything else under there. I was wondering what the part numbers are (all the front end black-plastic stuff) and what sites you would recommend to get them.

I used to go to gm-parts.com, or even oem-parts.com (I think that's what they WERE) but they don't seem to exist anymore (or not in a way that is navigable for an easy purchase)

02AleroEco 11-13-2010 04:03 PM

Just go to a junkyard man, it'll be WAY cheaper. I had to get a couple of the inner fender pieces, and i got it all for like 20 bucks.

xXManwhoreXx 11-14-2010 02:57 PM

Junk Yard would be your best bet, some may have some good and some broke so it may take you a few cars. I actually took mine off for a while till I realized they were for aerodynamics haha

AlbinoMonkeyRat 11-14-2010 09:33 PM

its tough to find Aleros/Grand Ams in junk yards around here. I'd rather have the piece in new condition anyway. I need to protect that oil pan from the road salt...I put 375 miles on per week. this winter is gonna suck.

Lucalare 11-14-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx (Post 565041)
Junk Yard would be your best bet, some may have some good and some broke so it may take you a few cars. I actually took mine off for a while till I realized they were for aerodynamics haha

How much difference did it make, cause the bottom part of both sides of mine are torn off, but the middle is still fine. If it's a big difference I'll get a new set or maybe just make some out of metal.

cherrington17 11-14-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat (Post 565084)
its tough to find Aleros/Grand Ams in junk yards around here. I'd rather have the piece in new condition anyway. I need to protect that oil pan from the road salt...I put 375 miles on per week. this winter is gonna suck.

under car plastic doesn't protect my oilpan at all. pretty much covers the oil pressure sending unit, knock sensor, starter, and oil filter.

which are all covered in dirty and grime... but work fine

clutch1 11-14-2010 10:30 PM

Can't even change your oil in your apartment lot?? Nazis

Lucalare 11-14-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 565096)
under car plastic doesn't protect my oilpan at all. pretty much covers the oil pressure sending unit, knock sensor, starter, and oil filter.

which are all covered in dirty and grime... but work fine

Also beings as the oil pan is aluminum salt won't bother it.

xXManwhoreXx 11-14-2010 11:47 PM

The side parts of it push air down under the car creating a lower pressure zone under the car that pulls it down.

AlbinoMonkeyRat 11-15-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucalare (Post 565100)
Also beings as the oil pan is aluminum salt won't bother it.

this ACTUALLY is helpful info. Aluminum still corrodes, but at a much better rate than steel. Thanks.

AlbinoMonkeyRat 11-15-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch1 (Post 565099)
Can't even change your oil in your apartment lot?? Nazis

yeah...couple weeks ago, I changed out my brakes, and they came up to me while my car was up on stands told me I had to wrap it up. Luckily I was almost done anyway. Takes me 45 minutes a pair, if there's no issues. No impact/power tools...would be a little faster if I did have some...meh.

03Sleepr 11-15-2010 07:19 AM

my apartment is the same way...I found that out while installing timing gears on my truck...so now I rent a storage shed and use it as a shop:scpimp:

Alerojester 11-15-2010 08:53 AM

i have the sides but no center of the front mouldings and when the car was running i didn't have any problems. and my old apartment complex didn't really care what i did cause i plowed it and salted it during the winter cause the guy that was supposed to do it waited till about 2 in the afternoon to plow it when i was getting home at 9am i would just do it :) that was an easy way to get rent taken care of too:scpimp:

zzyzzx 11-15-2010 10:17 AM

Partout here?

Also, you need to check these things before you leave the oil change place, since lots of them throw out your bottom plastic panels.

zzyzzx 11-15-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat (Post 564916)
the apt I live in is under a "no parking lot mechanic" rule)

When I lived on an apartment I just did all my stuff when the apartment office was closed.

cherrington17 11-15-2010 10:49 AM

Randy, if you ever need space to do some work, text me. The garage is open if i'm home.

Redog 11-16-2010 11:28 PM

My Apartment is like that too. I've done stuff to the car while here and nobody's said anything, but the stuff I've done has been minor stuff. I think the most major thing I did was swap out my cracked UIM and TB and it took me longer to put in my HID's

As for the flaps. The fenderliners are $30 at the dealership, I just bought one a few weeks ago and the center was $40 a long time ago, but it's probably $50 now. All the junkyards I go to I find these parts are FUBAR'ed already. The shield under the oil filter was $5 at the junkyard ;)

AlbinoMonkeyRat 11-17-2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzyzzx (Post 565147)
Partout here?

Also, you need to check these things before you leave the oil change place, since lots of them throw out your bottom plastic panels.

well, the car has 98k on it, and it has never been a problem before...