Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   TOG header gaskets (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35852)

Shiwnath 04-28-2012 04:51 PM

TOG header gaskets

I just got a set of TOG headers used and I'm just wondering if I could just use a set of Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets. I've been reading that some modifications might be required. What modifications would be needed to make them work with TOGs?

AleroB888 04-28-2012 05:14 PM

I had good results with high-temp sealer on the TOGs. I don't think anyone else has tried it, though.

Shiwnath 04-28-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroB888 (Post 615587)
I had good results with high-temp sealer on the TOGs. I don't think anyone else has tried it, though.

Yeah I read some of your previous posts on GrandAmGt.com. It's a neat idea, but I'm looking to just use a conventional gasket for the headers.

MMGT1 04-28-2012 06:58 PM

GM ones, just cut them out with a pair of snips and they work great man

Shiwnath 04-28-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 615591)
GM ones, just cut them out with a pair of snips and they work great man

Yeah i considered just getting some OEM ones and just using a dremel or something.

WhiteV6 04-29-2012 02:58 AM

We will have the Gm gaskets already modified as individual gaskets soon. I just got 2 sets in stock but haven't cut them out yet. I think this is a far better solution to the paper composite gaskets we offered before, since they will actually handle boost. The paper type were not meant for more exhaust back pressure than NA. Your original factory gaskets are likely reusable without an issue, since they are basically an MLS design. As long as the outside layers still have a spring to them, you are good to go.

Gr1m 04-29-2012 11:39 PM

i took my OEM gasket and used tin snips and it seals fine

kwhauck 04-30-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteV6 (Post 615650)
We will have the Gm gaskets already modified as individual gaskets soon. I just got 2 sets in stock but haven't cut them out yet. I think this is a far better solution to the paper composite gaskets we offered before, since they will actually handle boost. The paper type were not meant for more exhaust back pressure than NA. Your original factory gaskets are likely reusable without an issue, since they are basically an MLS design. As long as the outside layers still have a spring to them, you are good to go.

Oh.........now you say that after I installed them. Why the hell wouldn't you post that info on your site before I ordered them?

Shiwnath 04-30-2012 10:01 AM

Since I don't see a point in starting a new thread and I forgot to mention it in the Title of this thread..I've been reading that new head bolts are recommended for headers. I think MMS carries "stainless allen-head bolts" that offer for their headers for $20.. Would anyone know if those are good enough?

WhiteV6 04-30-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwhauck (Post 615820)
Oh.........now you say that after I installed them. Why the hell wouldn't you post that info on your site before I ordered them?

Because i didn't have that info before you ordered them. The recommendation to not use them in turbo apps came after 1 person had 1 of the gaskets blow out. Could have been from a warped flange, or not tightened properly, but either way I was told by TCE to not sell them for turbo apps any more.

Redog 04-30-2012 07:12 PM

Mine are leaking again :(

I have a pair on stockers in the basement somewhere. Guess I'll have to dig them out :D