Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   California Emissions (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23466)

Beholder88 08-15-2008 10:03 PM

California Emissions

Ok, here is what I understand about the "Air Pump" on california emissions equipped vehicles. This pump takes a little bit of your exhaust from the manifolds and runs it through a filter, supposedly reducing emissions. A friend of mine had his 2003 Malibu encounter a weird problem. Something with the air system went bad, and his engine bay caught fire, caused by a faulty air pump. The exhaust pressure and heat was being forced into the emissions sytem, instead of being regulated by the pump, and it melted and caught fire (that's what the garage said). What a mess that was. Ended up selling the car to a guy who wanted a project car. Anyone hear of this happening before? I didn't have time to look into it too deeply, but it looked like what I've just described. That being said, is there any way to have this system removed? Maybe reprogram the ECU and plug up the holes? I'd like to hear some theories.

Midgear 08-15-2008 10:08 PM

sounds like a heaping pile of monkey fungus to me.. but I dont know much about emissions.. only that it depleats the ozone layer and will eventually cause all life on earth to become festering blobs of cooked meat.

Redog 08-15-2008 11:31 PM

All the AIR pump does it inject a little bit of exhaust into the heads to help with start-up, that's it. The rest of the time, it does nothing ;)

(This is my 12,000th post :yahoo: :dance1: )

Midgear 08-15-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 379459)
All the AIR pump does it inject a little bit of exhaust into the heads to help with start-up, that's it. The rest of the time, it does nothing ;)

WHOOO!

Nate's Alero 08-16-2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

super white alero1 08-16-2008 07:49 AM

Back on topic. You A.I.R. (Air injection Reactor, yes it true that what its called) did not catch fire. the valve melted, and the pump is melted too. If both these items melted, you need to replace the catalytic converter. Ask him if its "J" motor or not. If "J" I almost bet a new valve and pump will melt within 2 weeks.

Cliff8928 08-18-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

hmm..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM
Secondary AIR Injection System Description

Purpose

The secondary air injection (AIR) system aids in the reduction of hydrocarbon emissions. During Open-Loop fuel control, air is injected into the exhaust stream for a specified amount of time. Heat generated from post-combustion oxidation helps the catalytic converter reach operating temperature sooner, referred to as converter light off. The following conditions determine pump operation:

Start-up ECT and IAT must be more than 4.4°C (40°F) but less than 30°C (86°F).
Start-up BARO must be more than 75 GPA.
The start-up conditions will operate for 70 seconds or until the vehicle reaches Closed Loop.

It's actually fresh air that is injected...

Redog 08-18-2008 03:33 AM

I always thought it was exhaust :blush:

O well :ninja:

Beholder88 08-18-2008 07:28 AM

Cool

Good info. I actually had it backwards! Sounds like it makes sense I guess.