Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shifter Position Indicator (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21248)

01AleroGL34SS 02-28-2008 10:48 AM

Shifter Position Indicator

Just wondering if the PRND321 indicator is suppose to light up at night with the rest of the interior illumination. Mine has not since I purchase the car and I didn't want to tear the console apart without knowing. If it does in fact light up, what is the bulb number? Sorry if this is a repost. :eek:

99oldsalerogls 02-28-2008 10:49 AM

i dont think so, mine doesnt either

BlackJack 02-28-2008 11:04 AM

Something you can check that's easy to get to before you go tearing into the dash.

The module on top of the transmission where the linkage attaches has two plugs that come out the side (it's a flat black box that bolts down around the linkage shaft). The large one controls your backup lights, etc. The smaller one is the one that has 4 wires, and is your "Range" switch that tells the computer and dash panel what gear your selecting. That's where the signal originates. Just make sure it's plugged in solidly and look to see that the wires are intact before going further. When that plug is disconnected, the lights on your dash go out. Could be just the bulb(s) in your dash, but it's easier to get to the Module on top the tranny first.

99oldsalerogls 02-28-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 340379)
Something you can check that's easy to get to before you go tearing into the dash.

The module on top of the transmission where the linkage attaches has two plugs that come out the side (it's a flat black box that bolts down around the linkage shaft). The large one controls your backup lights, etc. The smaller one is the one that has 4 wires, and is your "Range" switch that tells the computer and dash panel what gear your selecting. That's where the signal originates. Just make sure it's plugged in solidly and look to see that the wires are intact before going further. When that plug is disconnected, the lights on your dash go out. Could be just the bulb(s) in your dash, but it's easier to get to the Module on top the tranny first.

i think hes talking about the ones actually on the shifter where the pnd123 are in the center, not the ones on dash in the gauge cluster

Trickyslick 02-28-2008 11:37 AM

Mine does not light up either

BlackJack 02-28-2008 11:42 AM

disregard

nickbain 02-28-2008 11:44 AM

the indicator by the shifter is supposed to light up, there is a little bulb in there but I can't remember the number sorry.

CBLOHM3400 02-28-2008 11:58 AM

194 Bulb

[ion] C2 02-28-2008 12:00 PM

mine lights up.. i think

AGT 02-28-2008 12:14 PM

Pull up on the shifter console part. Its not hard to remove. There will be a bulb and wire going to the center of the PRD321

CharleyO99Alero 02-28-2008 05:23 PM

Yep ... there is a light there and mine lights up as it is suppose to do.

Naich 02-28-2008 05:50 PM

Yes, there is a 194 bulb in there, and it actually can fall out of the plastic clip it snaps into pretty easily. Just take off your gear shifter handle (its held on by a staple on the front of the shifter), and pull up on the bezel. The part will pull up.

01AleroGL34SS 02-29-2008 03:03 PM

Ok, so I took the top of the console apart at lunch and found the bulb. It looks like some IDIOT took the console apart at one time or another and ripped the positive wire out of the harness. So, I replaced the bulb and reattached the wire. Now it lights up like it should! :coolio: Thanks for all your help!:yahoo:

Kilroy 03-01-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01AleroGL34SS (Post 340766)
Ok, so I took the top of the console apart at lunch and found the bulb. It looks like some IDIOT took the console apart at one time or another and ripped the positive wire out of the harness. So, I replaced the bulb and reattached the wire. Now it lights up like it should! :coolio: Thanks for all your help!:yahoo:

Another enlightened Aleromod customer. :Hi:

Malix 03-01-2008 12:31 PM

Although that is good to know as well, I rarely look at it when I change gears since the dash already offers you a selection right in front of you. Also, most of us change gears by simple memory nowadays, right? :)