Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HOW-TO Plasti Dip, show your plasti dipped parts here! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34949)

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 01:43 AM

HOW-TO Plasti Dip, show your plasti dipped parts here!

this is my first how-to i believe so bare with me lol...

alright well i found out this stuff in a previous thread and figured i give it a try, and i really like how it turned out and its very simple to do, you can paint your whole car with the stuff and it will peel right off! its pretty durable and ive seen some people that have had it on for years with no problems, and if something does happen... you can easily redo it.

anyway..... off to the how-to. this stuff comes in blue, red, black (looks more like a flat black once dry), clear, white, and yellow.

you can get this stuff at Home Depot, Ace hardware, Do it best, Harbor freight tools, menards, napa, true value, and a couple of other places, i got mine at home depot and it was $5.98 for a can of it and covers 10 feet.

the can looks like this..

whatever you plasti dip is totally up to you, just make sure you clean it first and make sure its dry. also there is no sanding involved! and if you dont like it you can just take it off and redo it with no hassle. from what i have read, it holds through car washes and all that so i dont think you will have problems.

1st step is to mask off the badge you want to paint.. you dont even have to remove the badge to paint it! i love this stuff lol.

leave a square around it, its okay if it gets on the paint around the badge, because it will come right off!

after you have done that, do two passes with the can, lightly spray the badge on one pass and lightly spray it with another pass, and let it sit for 5 mins. it should look like this with two passes.

after 5 mins put a nice coat on the badge. and then wait 15 mins....

after 15 mins put a second coat on and let it sit for 1 hour. or longer if you want. and if you want to do a third coat you can do that to, just make sure you let it dry for an hour or more. once its complete it will look like this...

i forgot to take a picture of me pulling off the stuff on the paint, but i took a pic of the front badge, of me pulling it off around it. this is what it looks like after all the tape is removed on the bumper. notice it is on the paint. but i can pull it off and its perfect cut off all the way around the badge.

now make a notch in with what you think is safe, i just used my nail and was careful not to scratch the paint.

and you're done! very simple and i love it. now on to the next thing... i painted one of my rims that will be used in the winter and compared before and after... when i looked at it after it dried... it blew my mind! i was very impressed! i love the look of it. on to the pictures!

i think it looks amazing hahaha

also maybe this can be sticky'd and everyone can also post pics of there before and after plasti dip projects. :scpimp:

spc2125 10-20-2011 07:24 AM

i have have a feeling this is going to be real popular on this site now

adam337 10-20-2011 08:19 AM

pretty cool.. but a pressure washer will tear this shit right off

mastershake 10-20-2011 08:53 AM

i wonder how it would hold up over rust, hehe

also would it prevent rust if sprayed over bare metal?

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam337 (Post 599570)
pretty cool.. but a pressure washer will tear this shit right off

well there is people who have had it no problems for over a year, and its simple dont use a power washer on it. it might and might not but idc to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastershake (Post 599571)
i wonder how it would hold up over rust, hehe

also would it prevent rust if sprayed over bare metal?

hmmm good question... im not sure

billytheman1188 10-20-2011 10:55 AM

def gonna be doing my stock wheels black with this stuff....very simple to use and if i get sick of the black i just peel it off :)

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 599584)
def gonna be doing my stock wheels black with this stuff....very simple to use and if i get sick of the black i just peel it off :)

do itt! i wanna see some stock wheels done.

Papa Rad17 10-20-2011 02:48 PM

Doing my stock wheels is exsactly what I was thinking. And I deffinatly like the badges. I want to see how they'll look against a white car.

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 04:45 PM

try it out, it will look good for sure.

billytheman1188 10-20-2011 04:49 PM

Gonna pick this stuff up tomorrow and do my wheels on the weekend.....sleepy...how long does it take to dry?

cavaliers60 10-20-2011 05:40 PM

I'm doing this to my scoot once I get it back from the shop tomorrow! I was wondering what the wheels would look like if the rims had some yellow on them. :)

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 599666)
Gonna pick this stuff up tomorrow and do my wheels on the weekend.....sleepy...how long does it take to dry?

an hour. or longer if you want to.

sleepyalero 10-20-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavaliers60 (Post 599673)
I'm doing this to my scoot once I get it back from the shop tomorrow! I was wondering what the wheels would look like if the rims had some yellow on them. :)

post pics in this thread once you do it! cant wait to see a different color plasti dip.

cavaliers60 10-20-2011 09:19 PM

Will do!

Papa Rad17 10-20-2011 11:01 PM

I forgot to ask up there, did you have to take a knife around the badges or did it just peel right and leave just the badge dipped?

03Sleepr 10-21-2011 01:12 AM

I doubt it would look very good on stockers, would probably just make them look even smaller than they are...If I wasnt debadged I would plastidip them though

Papa Rad17 10-21-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Sleepr (Post 599725)
I doubt it would look very good on stockers, would probably just make them look even smaller than they are...If I wasnt debadged I would plastidip them though

there are pics of guys who have painted there stock rims black. they do look at little smaller but not to bad. for me they'll work till spring when I get some nice aftermarket ones

sleepyalero 10-21-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 599710)
I forgot to ask up there, did you have to take a knife around the badges or did it just peel right and leave just the badge dipped?

nope, it all makes an even cut off on the badge when you pull off the extra stuff around the badge and whats on your paint.

notice these three pictures, i just pulled it off with my hand and it cut evenly it self all the way around.

i hope that helped. ;)

Papa Rad17 10-21-2011 03:04 AM

Hmm. That's sweet. I didn't know if you had left part out or something. I'm thinking when I do my stock rims I might try putting a red pinstripe around them. Maybe have them looking that much better w/o being perminate.

wrestlingandrunning 10-21-2011 12:20 PM

I wonder how this stuff would work/look like on our interior