Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   replacing ign. cylinder...... rekey doors/trunk? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35079)

BlackJack 11-17-2011 10:40 AM

replacing ign. cylinder...... rekey doors/trunk?

I'm replacing my daughters ignition/key cylinder in her 2000 Alero 3400.

Symptoms:
1) Dies at random when driving down the street
2) Randomly, fuel pump doesn't fire up when first turning on the key (off/on a few times, the fuel pump will start working)
3) Door locks go crazy and operate on their own at about 1-2 second intervals on occasion (unlocking because it's thinking the key is being switched to the off position)

My main questions are...

1) is the key cylinder/passlock assembly the likely culprit
2) is the key cylinder and passlock assembly all one inclusive part when purchased, or are they two different parts.
2) is there a re-key kit so I can make the doors/trunk match the new ignition key?

kwhauck 11-17-2011 10:57 AM

First....

1) Are you back from the Sandbox?
2) You gonna be around your place Thanksgiving weekend?

BlackJack 11-17-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwhauck (Post 601794)
First....

1) Are you back from the Sandbox?
2) You gonna be around your place Thanksgiving weekend?

1) yes
2) no
3) keep it on topic or else I will have to pretend to give you a warning LOL

It's good to be back man!!!!

MMGT1 11-17-2011 11:07 AM

Check the BCM real quick to make sure it's dry back there. As for the Ignition, just have it coded to the VIN. Then you keep the key code you have. I would suggest getting a couple new keys cut, and destroy the ones you have. A worn key in the "new" cylinder could cause unnecessary issues.

kwhauck 11-17-2011 11:39 AM

Yes, it does sound like something could be passlock related. However before you repace the ignition cylinder....I would try have a key cut to your VIN at the dealership first. Its $10-15 and could be a cheap fix to some or all of the problems. It solved the problem for me on once of the Grand Ams I fixed and sold.

BlackJack 11-17-2011 12:35 PM

Alright. I just bought a new cylinder that came with two new keys. If that solves the problem I'll switch them back out and try the new key/old cylinder trick and return the new switch.

AleroB888 11-17-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 601797)
1) yes
2) no
3) keep it on topic or else I will have to pretend to give you a warning LOL

It's good to be back man!!!!

Not like we'd easily forget, I gotta go past this on the way to the track lol

Redog 11-18-2011 01:52 PM

Welcome back!!

I had that issue with a different PCM in the car. IDK what was going on, but at the time I was working with a guy in Colorado who wanted to get into programming.

IDK where it got screwed up, but the PCM he sent me had NO VIN in it. Everytime I would shift gears (D to R and vice versa) the DRLs would flash and the door locked would unlock, then lock, unlock, then lock again

[ion] C2 11-18-2011 02:07 PM

Welcome back! Pics of daughter?

j/k :awesome: