Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Save The Tranny (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11917)

littlebandito 03-23-2006 06:19 PM

A friend of mine told me that if you shift into Neutral and coast to a stop then use the E brake instead of park that it would take pressure off the transmission and put it on the brake. Does that really work?

AlbinoMonkeyRat 03-23-2006 06:23 PM

manual or auto?

if auto, you're just taking the wear and tear from the tranny and putting it on the brakes. Yes, both the tranny and brakes can be replaced, but brakes are cheaper. Plus braking while still in drive rather than neutral balances the wear. Don't be dumb.

tell your friend he's a bum.

cherrington17 03-23-2006 06:39 PM

smack your friend in the back of the head. unless you drive like a manic (like some of us do) you won't have any tranny problems.

BlackJack 03-23-2006 07:19 PM

nah, wont help ya any. It's just as much wear on the tranny taking it in and out of D. Remember, when pressure is removed, it's reapplied. Maintaining constant pressure is better for it than engaging/disengaging the clutch packs repeatedly.

natedawg9640 03-23-2006 07:40 PM

yeah... that's retarded... and what about when you are parked on a hill and your car is in neutral and your e-brake starts getting worn and slips and your car rolls down the hill, smokes an audi A8, a mercades sl55, and a geo metro and rockets off the end of a loading dock into a river where it punctures the side of a cruise ship that michael bolton is performing on and the world blows up... do us all a favor and just leave it in drive... :thumb:

littlebandito 03-23-2006 08:01 PM

I dont know man, Im not a big fan of Micahel Bolton...I think a 2004 Alero might be the right price to pay to get rid of him...and then make him famous because hes dead.

BlackJack 03-23-2006 08:17 PM

well, there's ONE way to get attention...heh

AlbinoMonkeyRat 03-24-2006 05:34 AM

well, if you know for sure Michael Bolton is going to be right there, go ahead and drive like that. mwahahaha

Redog 03-24-2006 12:28 PM

Takes longer to stop with the car in Netural :Noooo:

IF your buddy believes that, I have a nice chuck of ocean front land in Kansas I can sell him :lol:

BlackJack 03-24-2006 06:15 PM

with amber waves of grain?

brsexton 03-26-2006 11:18 AM

I think what he is trying??? to say is that you should pull the parking brake before putting your car in park when parking. That way your tranny will not be holding the car on the park claw in the tranny and your Ebrake will be doing all of the work. This is what I do every time I park. I can't stand to put it in park, and feel the car catch on the tranny.

Redog 03-26-2006 02:50 PM

I don't think that's what the kid means, it does say "put the car in N and pull the E brake and coast to a stop"

Yes I do set the parking brake before taking the foot off the brake when parking, that does help the tranny, esp on a hill, the brake is holding the car, not the tranny

Pulling the E brake to stop is bad, the e brake will not last long, plus pulling too quick, will cause a car to skid out of control

1WhiteOSV 03-31-2006 02:45 AM

LMAO....maybe if your tranny is f*ed and you are trying to get it to the shop right away and your brakes dont work anymore and all you have is an ebrake.....THEN i could see that being a good idea.....but otherwise tell him he's retarded and that is TOTALLY unnecessary

Whitetigerboi83 03-31-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by brsexton@Mar 26 2006, 11:18 AM
I think what he is trying??? to say is that you should pull the parking brake before putting your car in park when parking. That way your tranny will not be holding the car on the park claw in the tranny and your Ebrake will be doing all of the work. This is what I do every time I park. I can't stand to put it in park, and feel the car catch on the tranny.

i do the same thing i'm so use to drining my vw cabriolet manual so i'm always putting the parking brake/ebrake on the alero but never use it to try to stop unless ur doing doughnuts in the winter time .. thats the only time i use it but under controled settings.. never on the open road