Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dashboard Is Melting!!! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13843)

Freezman2 07-24-2006 11:28 PM

Dashboard Is Melting!!!

My 99 Alero dash began to ripple near the windsheild last summer... and now this summer the adhesive is completly failing and peeling back...obvoulsy its from the heat ( i now use a sun shade)... i have read about some of the options that i have to fix the problem but what are the best....is there a good fix for a decent price....is taking the dash out on ur own practical...id really like to have my dashboard back to normal, i feel like my "olds." is falling apart!!!!!:(

Ill try and post a pic soon!

Thanks

acold7dusta 07-24-2006 11:43 PM

trust me, its nothing out of the ordinary

battistoni21 07-25-2006 12:40 AM

:( sorry to hear that....

14alero 07-25-2006 04:09 PM

Mine is doing that to

Freezman2 07-25-2006 04:19 PM

Do u have any plans or ideas of fixing the dash? I have read that you can have GM do it but its way to expensive....or take the dash out ur self and have a vinyl shop redo it...i wish there was an easier way...i have seen a few things on E-bay

14alero...is that an image link under your reply...i cant click on it or copy and past it correctly

Redog 07-25-2006 05:18 PM

Welcome to the club :cry:

AlbinoMonkeyRat 07-25-2006 05:26 PM

broken things are gods way of telling you it's time for an upgrade. why not do a fiberglass interior? If my shit was peeling like that, I would see it as an opportunity for a project. (but I don't fix what ain't broke...lol)

Freezman2 07-25-2006 08:54 PM

what are some sites to look at for a fiber glass interior, because im always up for change.

ImSoBored 07-25-2006 09:06 PM

for glass youd have to do it yourself, or a custom shop.

I was given a price of $100 to re-do my dash, IF I removed the dash from the car.

AlbinoMonkeyRat 07-25-2006 10:23 PM

oh yes, fiberglass is a project, not a bolt-on deal. such a project would involve removing all parts you want done, prepping them to be glassed, painted, and placed back in the car. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, you can get this done WELL in about a week.

There are classes in college that teach how to do this kind of stuff, so don't expect to pick it up right away. (I have never done any body work myself, but I have witnessed some done on my car. If you ask politely enough and ask the right questions, I'm sure the body work experts can help you out. read: don't ask for step by step instructions...hehe)

mikegett 07-25-2006 10:47 PM

I may be mistaken, but I think violentrapture had his car fiberglassed. He may be able to give you an idea on price and difficulty. Sorry to hear about the vinyl. Mine started last year as well. It sucks to find out why people use sun guards after the fact. An interesting thing on the 07 cars. When I was shopping around for the camry I checked out toyota, GM, and Honda. All of them used rubber dashes. It has a spongy feel to it, doesn't seem to squeak, and you don't have to worry about peeling vinyl.

AlbinoMonkeyRat 07-25-2006 11:00 PM

sound_xtreme (joel) did violentrapture's dash. He did a damned good job too.

alero440 07-26-2006 10:35 AM

i must be the only one on earth who doesn't have a dash problem. Or Im too stupid to see it. Either way, good luck getting it fixed!

doubleN0alero 07-26-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alero440
i must be the only one on earth who doesn't have a dash problem. Or Im too stupid to see it. Either way, good luck getting it fixed!

i dont have that issue either...

ptrudel 07-26-2006 11:45 AM

me neither, dunno if the dye does anything to it but whatever

ptrudel 07-26-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImSoBored
for glass youd have to do it yourself, or a custom shop.

I was given a price of $100 to re-do my dash, IF I removed the dash from the car.

thats pretty friggin cheap

SweetNLow 07-26-2006 12:53 PM

well obviously the newer the car the less likely the dash is to be peeling.

i have a 99 and mine is fine......... where you park the car on a regular basis makes a huge difference as well obviously. i park inside whenever possible because i know the dash might start peeling up one day. but then again im gonna glass my interior so i guess it dun really matter

SweetNLow 07-26-2006 12:54 PM

well obviously the newer the car the less likely the dash is to be peeling.

i have a 99 and mine is fine......... where you park the car on a regular basis makes a huge difference as well obviously. i park inside whenever possible because i know the dash might start peeling up one day. but then again im gonna glass my interior so i guess it dun really matter

IRONDOG442 07-26-2006 02:28 PM

My dash did the same thing after I took this picture

ptrudel 07-26-2006 02:30 PM

wow...that fast in park...impressive