Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do you know if you have a monsoon amp? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17429)

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 12:58 PM

How do you know if you have a monsoon amp?

I've been reading about everyones comments on this, I can't seem to find the stock amp, so how do you know if you have one or not?

ptrudel 04-18-2007 01:11 PM

i think its mounted on the driver side in the trunk...i know i didnt have one so someone will have to say for sure

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 01:15 PM

hmm yeah i checked again i don't see anything visible its a 01 coupe if that helps thanks tho!

antichrysler 04-18-2007 01:27 PM

I've got an 02 coupe with the monsoon amp.

It's in the drivers side, in the trunk. If you pull down the lining you can see it. If my car ever gets out of the shop I'll take a picture of it and post it for you.

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 01:35 PM

k i found it thanks guys! Now I have a stupid noob question. I plan on wiring a brand new amp I purchased yesterday, does this mean i need to get rid of the stock amp or just leave it alone and wire the new, or replace the monsoon and put hook up the pioneer i purchased? sorry for the stupid question, but thanks so much in advance!

antichrysler 04-18-2007 02:12 PM

welcome to the wonderful world of Alero Stereos.... You'll have to remove it, rewire the speakers, and replace the speakers.

The monsoon amp is a 4 channel 6 speaker output. Meaning there is no crossover for the components... so either you have to build your own crossover or replace the stock speakers. Then you have to find some sort of adapter to convert from GMs effed up wiring to standard RCA's. Personally I'd just ditch the deck, speakers, and monsoon amp.

ptrudel 04-18-2007 02:15 PM

i'm so happy i didnt have to deal with that by not having that amp

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 02:20 PM

I have replaced the rear deck speakers, so i should just leave the monsoon alone connected and shit and wire up my new amp? By the way I do have a aftermarket stereo an eclipse, thanks so much anti chrysler

doubleN0alero 04-18-2007 02:25 PM

Your best bet is to just leave everythign related to the monsoon alone. Run new wires from the back of your aftermarket stereo to the amp and run the wires from the amp to your speakers. You could still use the monsoon, but its a PITA. Now if you have not already changed out your headunit, you're also going to need to connect the amp to your aftermarket radio so that you will still have sound coming from the front speakers.

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 02:30 PM

thanks double alero appreciate all the help i really do, every1 has been nothing but helpful!

antichrysler 04-18-2007 03:01 PM

no problem man

I've got a similar setup to you. Are you doing eclipse speakers or an eclipse deck?

I've got an eclipse deck and boston acoustics front and rear. The monsoon just sits unused in my trunk. I'm thinking of removing and selling it though.

white04alero 04-18-2007 03:13 PM

if you have only 4 speakers, would you have the monsoon amp?

Gr1m 04-18-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white04alero (Post 273625)
if you have only 4 speakers, would you have the monsoon amp?

why cant you just read the post about where it says it would be mounted in your trunk on the drivers side instead of asking stupid questions?

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 03:27 PM

I have an eclipse head unit, and infinity speakers in the rear deck

sound_xtreme 04-18-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Boy (Post 273602)
k i found it thanks guys! Now I have a stupid noob question. I plan on wiring a brand new amp I purchased yesterday, does this mean i need to get rid of the stock amp or just leave it alone and wire the new, or replace the monsoon and put hook up the pioneer i purchased? sorry for the stupid question, but thanks so much in advance!

i dont feel like reading the whole thread. but you could have a non monsoon amp. if ur cd player doesnt say monsoon it's probably the delco amp. the delco is an easy bypass. monsoon is not so easy.

Danny Boy 04-18-2007 05:44 PM

its def a monsoon amp i read it on the amp itself

Cliff8928 04-19-2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Boy (Post 273628)
I have an eclipse head unit, and infinity speakers in the rear deck

Which Infinity speakers do you have for the rear? If you have the kappa 693.7i, I would just use the monsoon amp instead of the external infinity crossover.

For those who don't know, the infinity 693.7i has two separate connections for the lows and highs, just like the factory monsoon speakers. They're even 2 Ohm, like the factory monsoon speakers.

Danny Boy 04-19-2007 11:44 AM

there infinity references 9613i