Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fuel Pump Disassembly Question (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18730)

Pacho 08-09-2007 02:43 PM

Fuel Pump Disassembly Question

I have a 02 V6 Alero..not sure if it matters for the fuel tank but anyhow i dropped the gas tank this morning and i've been trying to figure out how to take out the damn fuel pump assembly and it will not come off.
I checked out my haynes manual and the pictures for the alero in it are completely different than mine.
just wondering if theres a trick or some special way anyone else has gotten it off w/out getting really pissed off.
pics...

AftermathAlero 08-09-2007 04:02 PM

to get the ring off.. just use a flat head screwdriver and hammer on the ring.

Pacho 08-09-2007 04:32 PM

that did the trick...wasn't sure to do that or not since there still was some gas in the tank and i didnt want to make a spark...

is there any way to tell if the fuel pump itself is burnt out or not because i dont want to go spend $250 on a new assembly you know what i mean if this one is fine and its just a wire somewhere in the assembly?
thanks all

AGT 08-09-2007 05:22 PM

I actually replaced one of these on my brother's truck once. Looks very similar.

Only thing I can tell you is that the parts store said if that was not the problem to bring the new pump back and they would refund.

I was shocked. Of course they know how much work it is to get it.

AftermathAlero 08-09-2007 07:59 PM

our fuel pump is built into the asmbly. If you need a new one.. you'll need to buy the whole unit cept it don't come w/ the fuel gauge sending unit, which you would need to swap over to the new one.

the way to tell was when it was in your car still, when you turn the key into "on" position, you should hear it moan on. (like a errrrrnnnnn click).

SIUlero 08-09-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGT (Post 294644)
I actually replaced one of these on my brother's truck once. Looks very similar.

Only thing I can tell you is that the parts store said if that was not the problem to bring the new pump back and they would refund.

I was shocked. Of course they know how much work it is to get it.

Did they mention that they'd only take it back if it hasn't been installed. I've never heard of a parts store that would take a fuel pump back smelling like gasoline if it wasn't defective.

sound_xtreme 08-09-2007 10:32 PM

i just changed mine in my 99. looks exactly the same except the top mount(mine was like the one in haynes). mine DID come with fuel sending unit. my gas gauge finally works, hasnt since the day i bought the car.

Pacho 08-11-2007 05:37 PM

alright guys so heres the deal...
went up to autozone today and bought a master fuel pump, installed and connected everything back together. When I go to turn the car to on, the fuel pump still won't make the err noise so i just tried for the hell of it to start the car and when i do that with the key in the "start" position, all the lights on the dash go off and the car doesn't do jacksht. I disconnected the neg part of the battery 30 mins ago and ill go try starting it again in 30 mins but what do u guys think is going on...cuz it was trying to start yday w/the burnt out fuel pump?

Pacho 08-11-2007 06:34 PM

i researched a little and im going to try that passlock thing where you you have to wait 10 mins..start..10 mins again and so on cause i did just get a tuned pcm so that could be it...

Pacho 08-12-2007 09:05 PM

tonight i went back out there and reconnected the neg terminal and turned on the car....the engine WILL rotate now but still will not start...i did the passlock procedure 6 or 7 times and still would not start
(start, leave on 12 mins, turn off for 2 mins etc.)

its still the fuel pump though, it won't make that errrr noise, i checked the relay again and its good...(i dont think theres any other fuses for the fuel pump besides relay under the hood)...again this is a brand new master fuel pump bought yesterday that came with the sender unit....im going to check my ground connections tomorrow morning but i wanted to see what your all opinions on this are....one thing though the fuel gauge works when the car is in the "on" position so im not sure if its the ground connection? appreciate it all

Cliff8928 08-12-2007 10:52 PM

Was the fuel pump a direct fit, or did you have to splice a new plug on? I don't think the passlock does anything with the pump, it usually cuts out the injectors. Maybe you can check for power and ground at the fuel pump connection.

Pacho 08-12-2007 11:50 PM

pump was a direct fit...didn't need to do anything other than take the 2 sensors that plugged into the top of the old fuel pump module and plug them into the new fuel pump module

Ryan from Ohio 09-13-2007 02:30 PM

Im having issues at the moment also and Im searching for answers.

My car has been pretty much trouble free until now. I ran it until the light came of for low fuel, drove 10 miles after the light was on, parked it. Came back a week later no start. No fuel pump moan.

There is a relay under the hood and a single 15 amp fuse.

Check the fuse.

In my case the fuse is good too...

sound_xtreme 09-14-2007 03:10 AM

pump is probably dead ryan. pump is cooled by the gas, so if you leave it run till the light all the time, you're probably hurting the lifespan a bit.

xbxradxsx 09-14-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sound_xtreme (Post 301827)
pump is probably dead ryan. pump is cooled by the gas, so if you leave it run till the light all the time, you're probably hurting the lifespan a bit.

that part about the pump being cooled by the gas is true. my mom has a suburban and she always ran it almost on the e or close, giving it hell about the whole time. went dead once and it ended up being the fuel pump. that thing was a bitch to drop the tank to change. anyways, when we got to it, the connector was melted from where it had overheated. supprised me that it can get that hot down in the gas tank...

SIUlero 09-14-2007 04:22 AM

another reason not to run the tank too low is that, over time, rust and debris get into the gas tank. Most of it floats on top of the fuel, out of reach of the pump intake, but when it's low, the surface is closer to the intake and when the gas sloshes around, the debris can get sucked up and hurt the pump. Same reason you don't leave the engine running while fueling up...new gas coming in mixes everything up and can push the debris down into the intake.

Ryan from Ohio 09-14-2007 08:39 AM

Baaaahhhhhh well dammit.

I guess the Alero will be sitting for a few months then...lol

Im glad I got two cars now! lol

lonnie 09-14-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIUlero (Post 301830)
another reason not to run the tank too low is that, over time, rust and debris get into the gas tank. Most of it floats on top of the fuel, out of reach of the pump intake, but when it's low, the surface is closer to the intake and when the gas sloshes around, the debris can get sucked up and hurt the pump. Same reason you don't leave the engine running while fueling up...new gas coming in mixes everything up and can push the debris down into the intake.

There's some truth to that but thats why there is a fuel filter!

Pacho 09-14-2007 01:07 PM

fuel filter only filters out particles once the gas is on its way to the tank, if there's anything in the actual gas tank then it will mess up your fuel pump regardless of the filter

SIUlero 09-15-2007 01:51 AM

yeah, there is a fuel strainer attached to the bottom of the pump, at the intake, to help protect against the debris....but it's not a catch-all type of filter. It only gets the big stuff.