Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Beefy Transmission? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19354)

RoetherB 09-28-2007 10:16 PM

Beefy Transmission?

Anyone want to recommend a beefy transmission (5-speed) for my build? My 'Ho is an auto at the moment, so if anyone knows of any conversion info they can point me toward, that would be whoopass. :coolio:

I checked the usual spots and am pretty surprised not to see more info on this topic...

-Brad

Spilner521 09-29-2007 04:46 PM

The auto is pretty beefy itself. The Getrag 5-speed swap is not exactly a weekend job. You'll need to weld in new mounting points for the tranny, plus deal with the clutch pedal and master cylinder and all that good stuff.

Get a good size fluid cooler for the auto, along with a B&M Shiftplus (unless you'll be using HPTuners) and some fresh synthetic fluid. If you want to go more into it, you can have it rebuilt with Raybestos Blue Plate clutches, and while it's open, pop in an LSD, or an insert. There's some other parts out there that are stronger internal parts than what comes stock, but I don't remember the sites for them offhand. I'll post them up if I find them again.

spyhunter 09-29-2007 06:06 PM

If you want to do a 5spd, you don't have to weld in new mounting points for the tranny. At most you're drilling in holes for the bolts to tie the tranny mounts to the subframe. The clutch pedal is a bolt on affair, and so is the master cylinder, except for MAYBE drilling three holes into the firewall.

The GETRAG swap can be doen over the weekend by a dedicated person. For most two weekends.

Cliff8928 09-30-2007 12:13 AM

Yea, that's the nice part about our cars is that the trans mounts/brackets all bolt to the subframe.

TheMeaningOfLife 09-30-2007 03:49 PM

Or like spliner said stick with the auto. If you ever bracket race youll be glad you did. Just a thought.

spyhunter 09-30-2007 05:13 PM

bracket racing is for sissies.

Cliff8928 09-30-2007 11:58 PM

and automatics are boring.

RoetherB 10-01-2007 01:06 PM

You guys aren't helping the decision. ;)

-Brad

spyhunter 10-01-2007 02:20 PM

Get an F23, it's a bolt on. If you're going to be pushing 300-400hp, get a SPEC Stage 3 clutch if you intend to be doing 380-420hp get a SPEC stage 3+, get the SPEC flywheel, if all you're going to do is 300hp and under SPEC stage 3 or a SPEC stage 2 clutch..

Make sure the F23 tranny has been looked over and anything worn out is freshened up.

2 qts of Redline MTL, and you'll be off to the races.

Cliff8928 10-02-2007 03:15 AM

The MTL works that much better than the OEM spec'd Dexron III?

TheMeaningOfLife 10-02-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyhunter (Post 306217)
bracket racing is for sissies.

No bracket racing is for people who dont have ungodly amounts of money to burn on thier cars.

TheEdgeofSanity 10-02-2007 03:22 PM

as an addition to this thread, i think i'm having my 4t45e automatic transmission rebuilt pretty quick. i'm taking it to a trusted shop for work and all. anyway, what can i ask for to make it heavier-duty?

spyhunter 10-02-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMeaningOfLife (Post 306857)
No bracket racing is for people who dont have ungodly amounts of money to burn on thier cars.

no that's why those who don't have a lot of money for huge modifications, go into street stock classes.

Spilner521 10-02-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyhunter (Post 305993)
If you want to do a 5spd, you don't have to weld in new mounting points for the tranny. At most you're drilling in holes for the bolts to tie the tranny mounts to the subframe. The clutch pedal is a bolt on affair, and so is the master cylinder, except for MAYBE drilling three holes into the firewall.

The GETRAG swap can be doen over the weekend by a dedinkated person. For most two weekends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
Yea, that's the nice part about our cars is that the trans mounts/brackets all bolt to the subframe.

Hmmm...obviously you can tell from my previous post I didn't know that. Too bad I already paid for a built auto, a Getrag swap was actually my first plan with the Eco.

...not fully researched...bad call on my part..:banghead:

TheMeaningOfLife 10-03-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyhunter (Post 306908)
no that's why those who don't have a lot of money for huge modifications, go into street stock classes.

''

Ive never seen anyone doing that around here.:(