Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   crap on paint (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19729)

AJules 10-28-2007 05:46 PM

crap on paint

well, it's been raining every day for the past week or so, and I noticed this crap on my paint that didn't look like dirt. And oddly, it was only on the right side of the car... On friday, I went to the car wash assuming it would come off... and absolutely none of it came off. So today I decide to try and get it off by hand. It took about an hour and I got a lot of it off, but theres still a lot of it on. Anybody know a way to get the rest of this stuff off? or even what it is so I can avoid getting it on there again.

heres some pictures

I had gotten a lot of it off before I took em then, I got a little more of i off but theres still some very stubborn dark spots that I can't get off.

and it's on the wheels... but oddly only the right ones... seems easier to get off of those though

It actually looks worse than the pictures...

but yeah, any suggestions on how to get the rest off?

and more importantly, preventing it from happening again

lonnie 10-28-2007 05:53 PM

Use #000 Fine Steel Wool with light pressure and it will come off.

YALEROYNOT 10-28-2007 06:05 PM

wd-40 works wonders for bugs and tar. might work for that crap to

TheEdgeofSanity 10-28-2007 07:12 PM

goo- gone

AJules 10-28-2007 07:21 PM

thanks guys, i'm done for now though

I've spent like 2 hours scrubbin the stuff, I've gotten a lot of it off but theres still a lot on my back wheel, and around the back of the car.

I'll try the wd40 and goo gone later on this week when I get the chance

Anybody have any idea what the heck the stuff is?

and from now on, if anything gets on the car, i'm washing it that same day

if the goo gone/wd40 (i'm pretty hesitant to put steel wool on a car, unless you were talking about the wheels) don't work, i'm gonna take it to a detailing shop or something and see what they can do. hopefully they won't try and charge an arm and a leg... but they will

lonnie 10-28-2007 08:05 PM

I can understand that I thought the same thing too, but I use it alot and I haven't had any problems at all. I know the first thing you think is it will scratch the paint, but it wont just make sure you keep it and the car wet. I usually use it when I was my car, I also use it on my chrome wheels as well, with no problems. Goo Gone is good you have to let it sit for a couple of minutes before you wipe it off and you will have to use an aggresive wipe. Good luck man!

SweetNLow 10-28-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie (Post 311915)
Use #000 Fine Steel Wool with light pressure and it will come off.

are you nuts????

you realize your taking off clear coat every time you steel wool the paint. not to mention your dulling the finish weather you think you are or not

cavaliers60 10-28-2007 10:24 PM

I wouldn't use sandpaper... Just use the goo gone... Should do fine, or get some tuff stuff bug and tar remover.... That could work also.

sound_xtreme 10-29-2007 01:58 AM

i use steel wool on my WINDOWS with water, but def not paint...

Oldsnut 10-29-2007 09:42 AM

What's the difference between wet sanding and wet steel wooling, nothing in my opinion. Iv'e done both with no issues.

Gr1m 10-29-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnut (Post 311982)
What's the difference between wet sanding and wet steel wooling, nothing in my opinion. Iv'e done both with no issues.

there is no difference in this case, as sweet stated they will both take the finish off your paint, just use some goo gone and a rag and be done with it.

Jferg2223 10-29-2007 08:10 PM

have you been burnin your tires.........................I hate getting the burnt rubber off the side of my car after being at the track.

smokinAMD 10-30-2007 11:08 AM

Clay bar, that will take care of it, and won't screw up the clearcoat. Then wax it, that will make it more difficult to stuff to adhere to the paint in the future.

Molson 10-30-2007 11:29 AM

looks like tree sap

Naich 10-30-2007 11:32 AM

Tree sap stained my paint in places, and no matter what I do, it won't come off. Clay bar doesn't do it.