Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Starting trouble (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21872)

crg955 04-20-2008 06:05 PM

Starting trouble

Here is whats going on. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1999 Alero 113k 3400 GLS

Red Battery Light was coming on and going off for about 2 days, when today I was driving and the all the lights in the car went dim, Anti-lock brake light came on, then passenger seat belt light, lots of lights came on, then cd player spit cd back at me. I came to a redlight, turned the car off and tried to restart it. I wouldnt restart. Now it will click, click, click but nothing else happens.. Battery is brand new less than 30 days old.
*side note*
I try to charge my cell phone using the cig lighter and it charges and stops charges and stops light the current if fluxuating.

What could be the problem here?
Cpu? Electrical? Alternator.

What could be the cost range?

Thanks!

~Gibb

Redog 04-20-2008 06:11 PM

Alternator, $100.99 at Autozone for the 3400. It's a pretty easy DIY

crg955 04-20-2008 06:18 PM

How certain are you reddog that its the alternator and your reasoning for thinking its that? I really dont want to run out and replace it and still have to take it to the garage tomorrow. however I would prefer to do it that way.

YALEROYNOT 04-20-2008 08:38 PM

go to auto zone they can tested your alt for free and if it is that your there buy one.

TheEdgeofSanity 04-20-2008 08:47 PM

i'm also 99% sure that its your alternator. you can go to autozone and they'll check it for you. When your battery light comes on, that means there's a problem with your charging system (alternator). When the alternator dies, the car is running solely off the battery and if the battery gets low enough, everything goes crazy. If you hadn't shut your car off, it would've eventually quit on its own as the electric current needed to run fuel injectors, sensors, and the cpu would've dropped below the acceptable level.

SIUlero 04-20-2008 10:21 PM

another vote for the alternator...get your battery charged up over night and you should have enough juice to get you to autozone. they will probably still need to top it off when you get there, for an accurate test, so make sure you've got at least an hour to spare.

or if you have another way to get there, take the alternator off the car and they can test it in the store...you'll still need to charge the battery, so bring it with you and they will charge it for free.

lonnie 04-21-2008 03:02 PM

Start your car if you have a digital multimeter set it to measure dc, and put it across the batery red to positive and black to negative. If it reads around 14v then alternator is good, and battery is bad. Is the battery the original? Also if you read something well above 14 then it could still mean the alternator is bad. Really quick test to see where you stand!

JCHT79 04-27-2008 09:21 PM

I had this same problem about a year and a half ago. It's definetly the alternator. As lonnie recommends checking the current to see if the Alt is good drawing about 14V. If you're trying to save money and you've got the tools then DIY. You'll most likely find remanfactured Alts for purchase from Autozone and the like.

Nate's Alero 04-27-2008 09:24 PM

agree with the alternator going bad because of it happening soo suddenly..
get it checked

etan1987 05-08-2008 10:31 PM

I have been having similar problems as this. My car died in a gas parking lot tonight. i just got the battery replaced in Feburary cause it was shot. For about the past two weeks it would take a couple of times to get it to turn all the way over and start. Also when it would start it would rev to about 2500rpms then slowly go back down, and it normally would not go that high up. We got it started up again and then like the ding bat I am shut it off for some reason, and has yet to restart. I know I know turning it off was a BAD BAD idea I get that do not push that issue. Please if someone could give me some advise that would be fantastic.

Redog 05-08-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crg955 (Post 350644)
How certain are you reddog that its the alternator and your reasoning for thinking its that? I really dont want to run out and replace it and still have to take it to the garage tomorrow. however I would prefer to do it that way.

Very certain and my reasoning is becuase my car did the same exact thing :rolleyes2:

CharleyO99Alero 05-09-2008 12:01 AM

I had the same problem back in January this year. Had it tested at AAP and it was the battery that was bad.

Do yourself a favor and have the charging system tested first.

etan1987 05-09-2008 10:21 AM

I would get the charging system checked but still as of this morning it is sitting dead in a parking lot. I also have system in my trunk would it be possible that i need a capasitor?

lonnie 05-09-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etan1987 (Post 355844)
I would get the charging system checked but still as of this morning it is sitting dead in a parking lot. I also have system in my trunk would it be possible that i need a capasitor?

A capacitor isn't going to help you if you have killed the battery. The capacitor is suppose to help cover the dipps in voltage when your system hits hard. I would take the battery out now and go to autozone or someplace like that and get it charged. Put it back in the car and see if it will start. If it doesn't then you have a bigger issue. If it does then get your charging system tested..one quick way is to see if you have 14volts across the post with a DMM...if so then you could be ok, but ultimately you are going to have let a shop truly test it.

etan1987 05-09-2008 04:43 PM

all fixed tightened the battery wires recharged it and off I went.

Vinalero 05-09-2008 05:01 PM

of course if you recharged the battery it started right away, but if your alternator is bad, the car will eventually die again.

elpuas3000 05-09-2008 05:18 PM

alternador at least $300 with instalation

brim 05-09-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etan1987 (Post 355944)
all fixed tightened the battery wires recharged it and off I went.

haha that's sweet

although were the battery cables completely loose? we all retighten them after we take the battery out and put it back in :haha:

get a multimeter and check the system charge, if your light's back on soon you'll know you have a shot alternator

god speed chief

Redog 05-09-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elpuas3000 (Post 355950)
alternador at least $300 with instalation

At least on the 3400, it's easy enough for a DIY.

Never worked on the 2.4 or 2.2, but it looks easy on the 2.4 from what I've seen

Top of the line stock for the 3400 is $160.99 and an hour of your time

etan1987 05-10-2008 04:28 PM

the altenator on the 2.2 is buried my roomate and I checked into it. When I go home after school is out I am going to talk to my mech back home.