Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   those who replaced P/S pumps (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23697)

-Alero- 09-01-2008 07:49 AM

those who replaced P/S pumps

where did everyone get theres from, i read a couple random ass posts saying they got thiers for 25$

i looked on GMpartsdirect and they have 1 for about 160$ brand new..just curious as to where everyone got thiers from

also side note, what was that one place that sold the high output altenators? i dont have a system should i just get another oem type?

Gr1m 09-01-2008 08:35 AM

got my HO alty from here
http://motorcityreman.com/high-amp-a...-grand-am.html

kwhauck 09-01-2008 09:56 AM

i got both of my power steering pump from a junk yard, since it is an easy fix for the junk yard prices you can replace 4 pump before the price of a GM one brand new.......

YALEROYNOT 09-01-2008 10:29 AM

local parts store (national auto parts) think like $80. I have to do mine today :lol:

Ryan from Ohio 09-01-2008 11:32 AM

If you dont need a HO alternator dont get one.

Midgear 09-01-2008 02:17 PM

im on my 3rd power steering pump from O'reillys.. and it sounds like its fixin to take a big hairy shit.

lifetime warranty though, so if it craps out I just go get a new one-

-Alero- 09-01-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgear (Post 384175)
im on my 3rd power steering pump from O'reillys.. and it sounds like its fixin to take a big hairy shit.

lifetime warranty though, so if it craps out I just go get a new one-

right see im the kind of person that believes in you get what you pay for, im skeptical about the autozone/o reilys/advance p/s due to the cheap design, im sure the oem one isnt the best but i would at least like next to the best

Midgear 09-01-2008 02:52 PM

I need to get a brand new one.. im sick of these remanufactured ones.. this one will cut out in the middle of a turn which sucks crack because it happens when you least expect it.. and it whines every now and then during a turn like a humpback whale singing his ass off.. its rather loud too.

the cap leaks fluid also.. lol

alerored04 09-01-2008 03:17 PM

My GM one was like $100, buy it without the vaiable assist and swap it over yourself, save a bunch of cash.

-Alero- 09-01-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alerored04 (Post 384186)
My GM one was like $100, buy it without the vaiable assist and swap it over yourself, save a bunch of cash.

yeah thanks for answering that part too i forgot to ask that, variable assist part.....

but where did yo uget yours?

alerored04 09-02-2008 12:00 AM

Dealership. It was a more competitive price than I expected. You will need a fairly large deep well socket to change the variable assist if you do not have access to a vice like I didn't, I was forced to use an impact on it cause there was no good way to hold it and spin that out.

YALEROYNOT 09-02-2008 05:15 AM

I found that the resevor was cracked on mine and the pump wasn't bad. I threw some epoxy on it and we will see if it works :rolleyes2:

Redog 09-02-2008 12:41 PM

I found that were GMpartsdirect sells parts for cheap, the shipping kills you.

If the dealer list price is less than the part and shipping, go to the dealer ;)

-Alero- 09-02-2008 02:05 PM

^^good to know

ok, i did a little bit of a test earlier, and was wondering if anyone could kind of follow up or provide info..

ok lately my car has had sort of a irregular idle, where the RPM's will sometimes go above 750, and feels like it has sort of a semi loopey idle, i got a CASE relearn thinking it would help, no change, so for the lognest time i have been thinking its my PS pump...

so heres what i did i took my belt off and gave all the pullies a bit of a spin with my hand too see how much of a parasitic drag they had, or if there was anything irregular (didnt touch crank i knew not to lol), so i spin the PS pulley first, it seems really sloppy, and will not show any signs like it moves with ease, but at the same time its not putting up much of a fight, long story short i give all the others a little spin and they felt just fine, much better than the PS....

really all im saying is the PS pulley really drags ass when hand spun...now just curious here has anyone ever done this or experinced or even know anything that can relate to this.....ANY input would be great

Redog 09-02-2008 02:31 PM

I really don't think the pullies should be easy to turn by hand, even the water pump.

Why do you think it's the PS pump causing this problem?

-Alero- 09-02-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 384413)
I really don't think the pullies should be easy to turn by hand, even the water pump.

Why do you think it's the PS pump causing this problem?

its really always had some poor performance, the wheel doesnt turn as effortless as it should and sometimes it feels like it skips a beat from time to time and usually whenever i turn the wheel while sitting still the rpms drop, of course thats usually normal....but then again ive never had its fluid flushed...

i dont know what else it could be, ive changed the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned idle air control valve so many times, everything electronicly on the intake side seems just fine, the only thing i can think of that would be causing my sloppy idle is something internally or injector wise.....

really what i need is a full parameter scan on all my DTC's but everywhere i go refuses to touch my car or will charge me arm and a wiener....its sad

itsbmw 09-02-2008 04:20 PM

would a dealership scanner tell you if your PS pump is bad? I can get a free scan and everything. I also want to know if the alero steering is just tighter or what because compared to my car the other cars I drive are way easier to turn, I have wider tires so maybe that's it.

-Alero- 09-02-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsbmw (Post 384436)
I can get a free scan and everything. .

wow luckiest person in the world right there..........you seriously have a gift....

anyways dealer might be able to diagnose the ps, just depending on how much money they want to pull from you

anyways been doing some research about rough idle, seen alot of mixed reviews but i will be replacing a few things IAT,if that doesnt work MAF, if that doesnt work 4.2L 28lb injectors if that doesnt work my MSD coils are crap.....

but sidenote ill probably end up replacing the PS pump

alerored04 09-02-2008 05:43 PM

Advance will test coils for free.

-Alero- 09-02-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alerored04 (Post 384456)
Advance will test coils for free.

good to know