Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   i need ideas (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29822)

cherryfrog 12-12-2009 08:43 PM

i need ideas

ok guys. right now iwth me not working i'm low on money. i would like to start learning how to work on my car and make it 1. look better 2. run better.what would you guys recomend to start off with to start with? (for a newby lol):lol: also i did notice some rust on the back passenger side right by the rear passanger door/tire

Nate's Alero 12-12-2009 08:44 PM

Hmm, well, what is your mechanical background like?

TdotAlero 12-12-2009 08:59 PM

Do a tune-up - about $50 and 1 hour of work max. Will improve your car's performance and mpg. To make it look better (not at this time of the year) do some detailing - $20 on products and 3hours max.

cherryfrog 12-12-2009 09:26 PM

honestly not much. i know how to check the fluids and stuff but that is about it. that is why i owuld like to learn more

Chipmunk-Alero 12-12-2009 09:42 PM

go to a parts house and get a book for your car......they help first timers.

Tune-up was said but i will elaborate for you. That means new plugs (platinums are best), new wires (8mm is a good size). Also, change your fuel filter, clean your MAF, new air filter or CAI/WAI, and finally oil and filter change.

You will notice a difference in the way it runs.

Chris2000 12-12-2009 09:51 PM

keep the car clean, get that salt off, that will add to the rust issue.

whiterider00 12-13-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipmunk-Alero (Post 514371)

Tune-up was said but i will elaborate for you. That means new plugs (platinums are best), new wires (8mm is a good size). Also, change your fuel filter, clean your MAF, new air filter or CAI/WAI, and finally oil and filter change.

You will notice a difference in the way it runs.

before he gets really confused, the 2.4 has neither spark plug wires nor a MAF. but changing plugs, oil and fuel filters and oil is always a good start. also, just visually check whatever you can see under the hood and under the car. if anything looks wrong or out of place, even to a novice, look it up and how to replace it. as far as looks, the easiest thing to do that costs nothing is to remove all the badging. i personally like the look of the back end with no olds symbol or letters. maybe take out the front emblem and paint it to match the car, or another contrasting color. appearance mods are virtually endless.

Chipmunk-Alero 12-13-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiterider00 (Post 514388)
before he gets really confused, the 2.4 has neither spark plug wires nor a MAF. but changing plugs, oil and fuel filters and oil is always a good start. also, just visually check whatever you can see under the hood and under the car. if anything looks wrong or out of place, even to a novice, look it up and how to replace it. as far as looks, the easiest thing to do that costs nothing is to remove all the badging. i personally like the look of the back end with no olds symbol or letters. maybe take out the front emblem and paint it to match the car, or another contrasting color. appearance mods are virtually endless.

Whoopsy, totally disregard everything I said. :lol:

Im a 3.4 guy. I see it in your sig now.;)

alero_bmxer 12-13-2009 12:49 AM

Um clear your corners and or paint your bezels, tint your tails, tint your windows, CAI/WAI, and all the above essentials

ServO 12-13-2009 09:42 AM

You know...or don't clear your corners or mess with you bezels...as long as your headlights are not all scratched up or foggy, it looks nice stock. Tint those windows tho...yes depending on your cash flow and thirst for adventure, you can do it yourself, or pay to have someone do it for you...
I think tinted tails are damn sexy too...that's a somewhat easy mod, although I didn't do mine, my cores came already tinted.

That01Olds 12-13-2009 01:51 PM

First, get a car wash like your sig says you need lol and clean out the inside if its dirty. I wouldn't do any major appearance changes in winter with all the snow and salt on the roads, but thats just me. Second, like the rest of them said get a tune-up change oil, plugs, and check any other fluids on the car that you haven't already checked and taken care of. Last make sure you check that your tires and tire pressure are in good shape I recommend all tires be between 30 and 35 lbs. because you don't want to be driving around on bad tires with low tire pressure, especially in winter and check and make sure your brakes are working right and that you don't need to replace pads or rotors anytime soon.