Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   block purchase... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30308)

tw0123 01-28-2010 02:12 PM

block purchase...

So here is the mini story...
My motor developed the LIMG and it leaked into the bottom end and spun a bearing by the time I limped home...

So after a year of searching, I have purchased 2 vans, had a baby, got stuck using one van for the family, and now the engine on that is slowly dying, so the second van will most likely replace that motor, instead of going in my Alero like originally planned...

I found a guy who is willing to sell me the block/ bottom end with a new water pump, and the timing cover still on, saying all I will need to replace is the LIMG and head gasket, as it was blown when he bought the car....

My question is this, does this sound too fishy or am I just getting lucky on getting a good deal? btw, I am getting it for $50.

All advice, and further information on what I will need is appreciated!!! I am almost figuring that even for $50 I can't really go wrong either way...

Redog 01-28-2010 02:18 PM

IDK

He told you the problem, but yet your only getting it for $50 with a new WP

tw0123 01-29-2010 12:21 PM

The more I think about it, he runs a shop, and I am thinking that the previous owner brought it in because of a coolant leak (head gasket) and when the mechanic started ripping it apart to fix it, and gave the guy the quote for the repair, the owner just sold it to him dirt cheap as he could not afford to pay off the outstanding bill plus the cost of the repair to the car... so he got the car dirt cheap, and is using his shop to strip the parts off it and make a few extra dollars... he has already sold the head lights, tail lights, and used the wheels for his wife's Alero, and a few other misc. parts...
I am going to look at it tomorrow, so I will figure more out at that time...

alerored04 01-30-2010 04:40 PM

I would do it.

billytheman1188 01-30-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alerored04 (Post 523174)
I would do it.

agreed:ninja:

tw0123 01-31-2010 12:44 PM

lil update.. guy wasnt there, girl at the shop had no clue... waiting until Mon-Tues to call back to talk to him again...

01silveralero 01-31-2010 12:48 PM

for 50 bucks it is worth it.

WhiteV6 01-31-2010 01:57 PM

I got a motor for free that only needed a LIMG and ran great. 2 busted heads, lifters full of sludge, 1 cylinder with a nice gouge in it, and cam bearings had to be replaced. Spend the money on a better starting point or play the lottery with that motor.

tw0123 02-01-2010 11:34 PM

^^ thanks... This is what I was looking for... more or less the options on what I might be in for, or what luck I might have with the motor... I am by no means a mechanic, he lives next door, but I was thinking I might as well pick it up, cuz even at scrap prices, I would make a few bucks on it for taking it to the scrap yard if my neighbour thinks that is all it is worth...