Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Aleromod.com Showcase (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My '02 GL2 (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31828)

Spilly 07-03-2010 11:56 PM

My '02 GL2

I've been lurking around here for awhile but never have had the time to really post or take pictures of my car and upload em here.

She's a 2002 GL2 4 door. Has the Ecotec, Sunroof, Monsoon stereo, the 15 inch aluminum wheels. Pretty much every option other than Leather, the 16's and the 3.4,

I've had this Alero since December of '09. I'm it's second owner. 3k miles after I got it the timing chain tensioner went and a few valves kissed the pistons. Needless to say I put a LOT of money into the engine of this car, had the head redone, new valve guides, 4 new valves, new tensioner, cam and crank sprokets, timing chain, all the gaskets, guides etc. replaced. Did plugs and the belt while I had it apart too.

Everything under the hood is stock, and will remain so for the most part is it's a 4 door, and an automatic, and in my opinion just too heavy, and would cost way too much to make it go fast, so I intend on just working on the cosmetics of it and keeping it a reliable daily driver. Would like to do a Catback exhaust on it though. I've stolen a couple ideas from this site, such as blacking out the headlight surrounds/removing the reflector. I used VHT niteshades to tint the tailights, and I also have all LED's in the rear of the car.

Here's some pics, sorry about the huge post. Just wanted to show her off.

One of the bent Valves :dance1:

Spilly 07-04-2010 12:07 AM

Just did front pads and rotors on her today too.

And another ass shot just for good measure, oh yeah and I took the emblems off the back. I think it makes the car look a zillion times better.

Cliff8928 07-04-2010 02:18 AM

Looks good, but you have a GL1 (GL2 was either a V6 or a Eco/5-spd and would have 16" wheels and FE3)

Those older Ecotecs were known for timing tensioner and chain snapping problems.

That01Olds 07-04-2010 04:03 AM

Car looks really nice man. As long as you take care of it the car will last you forever. That's cause one thing Oldsmobile did was build cars that last.

Spilly 07-04-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff8928 (Post 548520)
Looks good, but you have a GL1 (GL2 was either a V6 or a Eco/5-spd and would have 16" wheels and FE3)

Those older Ecotecs were known for timing tensioner and chain snapping problems.

Oh, interesting. And yeah I read all over about the '02 Eco's being a pain in the ass. Mine actually never snapped, it just got so much play in it that it would run with the pistons just lightly tapping the valves, but it was audible.

kwhauck 07-05-2010 06:13 PM

looks clean!!!! drop it and give her some wheels!

Spilly 07-06-2010 01:16 PM

That's the plan. I'd like to, "Murder it out yo". Still needs tints and black rims.

How would I go about lowering this car, do they make lowering springs, or do I have to be a hill billy and cut em?

whiterider00 07-07-2010 01:33 AM

many brands make lowering springs. eibach is the closest to stock feeling, but i believe has the least amount of drop. sprint/springtech/dropzone, i believe are all the same mfg and have the lowest drop, around 1.75in, but can be a bit of a harsh ride. ive got sprint, and it is a little harsh, but you get used to it. ebay will probly be the cheapest, but other sites carry them. search for grand am or malibu if alero doesnt show up anything. also, most members upgrade to kyb gr2 struts. but if your stock struts are ok, you can keep them, they just might wear out a little quicker.

sith123 07-08-2010 10:37 AM

nice ride i love black !!!!!!
but i see that there are not many with full leather

MattismodderX 07-08-2010 03:30 PM

i smell muurrrdeerrr. those stock rims actually look mad sexy painted with some WHEEL PAINT (look it up at summit racings website) and some tire wet. then after tint youre riding 100% murdah brah

Spilly 07-09-2010 12:10 AM

Ooh never really thought about painting em.

Pheros89 07-20-2010 10:21 PM

damn sweet ride :)

gotta love the rush sticker on the side there :D haha awesome man

Spilly 08-05-2010 01:59 PM

Haha thanks man.

My Alero made a friend.

cavaliers60 08-05-2010 02:08 PM

Vipers are good for speed, but they don't offer a whole lot of comfort or options from what I heard. That looks to be an older Dodge Viper. late 90's/early 2000 model I'm guessing.

Spilly 08-05-2010 02:57 PM

The technical school I went to had a '00 GTS. Drove it a few times, they aren't comfy, they aren't luxurious, and they don't have an electronic safety gadgets either, it's you and the car, if you learn to respect it and drive it properly it will reward you with ass haulery and a good time. If you over do it, and don't know how to drive it, the thing will kill you.

I don't want comfort and options, I want as little between me and the machine as possible when it comes to a weekend toy. It's a modern incarnation of the Shelby Cobra.

wrestlingandrunning 08-05-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattismodderX (Post 548906)
i smell muurrrdeerrr. those stock rims actually look mad sexy painted with some WHEEL PAINT (look it up at summit racings website) and some tire wet. then after tint youre riding 100% murdah brah

This is debateable, I've only seen it look good a few times. Most the times it just looks cheap.

Redog 08-05-2010 06:24 PM

Me likey!!

Chipmunk-Alero 08-05-2010 07:30 PM

If u finish the black out process you can say Welcome to the AleroMoB lol....btw I love ur headlights.