Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rear View Mirror Shaking (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31912)

joshkrdr 07-19-2010 01:26 PM

Rear View Mirror Shaking

Hey guys, when driving down the road with my music up, at certain db my rear view mirror shakes like crazy! Sometimes, the music volume doesn't have to be up that high for it to happen. Also, sometimes the mirror will fall from it's current position to all the way down, not off, just down. I have tightened the hex as far as i can with no success. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems and if so how did you solve it...
Thanks
Josh

JoshGentry 07-19-2010 01:31 PM

Turning the music down usually helps. Lol. Mine shakes too though. But I just fix it and keep going.

joshkrdr 07-19-2010 01:36 PM

But why turn the music down lol, i like my music loud and i shouldn't have to turn it down haha. And it doesn't even have to be the music that does it, just today i went over a brick road and the mirror fell down. This just baffles me.

Redog 07-19-2010 01:45 PM

The ball is loose, IDK if there's a way to fix it

tw0123 07-19-2010 02:24 PM

contact cement... that will hold it in place for a while... just make sure it is in the right position first lol....

joshkrdr 07-19-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 549811)
contact cement... that will hold it in place for a while... just make sure it is in the right position first lol....

Ha yeah then i won't be able to move it at all lol

guiguilandry 07-19-2010 06:56 PM

get another one from a junkyard.....

alerogls001 07-19-2010 07:30 PM

Yeah mine fell off too.... I don't plan on putting it back unless I find I need it for inspection...

ServO 07-19-2010 08:42 PM

If the mirror is connected using a ball joint (I have no idea), and you can get access to the ball itself, then all you have to do is apply a couple of layers of either superglue or clear nail polish to the ball, *WAIT FOR IT TO DRY*, and then re-attach for a tighter fit in the ball socket.
I collect Transformer toys, and build custom figures...this is the approved method for restoring ball joints that have gone bad or gotten loose over time. It works like a charm, but again, I'm not certain if it will apply to our rearview mirrors...

joshkrdr 07-19-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServO (Post 549851)
If the mirror is connected using a ball joint (I have no idea), and you can get access to the ball itself, then all you have to do is apply a couple of layers of either superglue or clear nail polish to the ball, *WAIT FOR IT TO DRY*, and then re-attach for a tighter fit in the ball socket.
I collect Transformer toys, and build custom figures...this is the approved method for restoring ball joints that have gone bad or gotten loose over time. It works like a charm, but again, I'm not certain if it will apply to our rearview mirrors...

Hmmm that's a good idea, thanks i may give that a try.. But that's only one of the problems with the mirror lol. The actual glass mirror vibrates, i'm not sure if i should try to secure it better to the plastic or if there is even a way to do that..

pimpalero2003 07-19-2010 11:35 PM

I always used super glue set mirror where you want and glue the hell out of it. It will eventually come loose when it happens reglue lol

scott192 07-20-2010 10:17 AM

bass will always kill your rear veiw its part of having bass!! youll have to get used to no mirror lol i have

widbyj 07-20-2010 11:09 AM

Depends upon the state laws but here in WA you are required to have two rearward viewing mirrors so throwing out the windshield one is OK as long as both side ones work (they can bounce to da beat also but rarely fall off).

joshkrdr 07-20-2010 04:02 PM

Throwing the mirror out really isn't an option for me b/c i speed ALOT and i am constantly checking my mirrors for possibilities where i can go. It doesn't seem to fall down as much anymore, but the mirror glass still vibrates so i can't even see out of it...

Afugy 07-20-2010 06:20 PM

There is a way of helping with the shaking and falling down but it will not stop it. The mirror its self has a little bit of space all the way around in side of the plastic, that causes more moving and falling then if it was tight. Best way to fix this is to fill the space with 3M's VHB tape. On a hot day I used 2 smallest allen wrenches to hold open a gap at the top of the mirror, cut a piece of the tape down to about 1/8" x 3/4" and used a 3rd small allen wrench to get the tape into the gap. Just don't try and pry with the allens they are there just to hold open the gap, use your fingers to open up the gap, the glass in the mirror is thick but you still don't to risk chipping the glass. Using allen wrenches is important because they have flat sides and are less likely to chip your glass.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30660

joshkrdr 07-20-2010 08:33 PM

thanks afugy, i'll have to give that a try!

cherrington17 07-20-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshkrdr (Post 549914)
Throwing the mirror out really isn't an option for me b/c i speed ALOT and i am constantly checking my mirrors for possibilities where i can go. It doesn't seem to fall down as much anymore, but the mirror glass still vibrates so i can't even see out of it...

so.... stop being a immature driver, and slow down...

Afugy 07-21-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 549937)

You should do that too. Loud music and speeding don't mix! Speeding in heaving traffic is worth less and doesn't do you any good, with you being in Cincinnati you're going to get it one day and hard.

joshkrdr 07-21-2010 03:44 PM

well for one i like speed, and am quite good at it. Whether i'm speeding or not, i still constantly check my mirrors because i like to know where everyone is at. It seems like living in cincinnati drivers just merge into other occupied lanes, which is only one reason why i need all my mirrors....

joshkrdr 07-21-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 549937)

ha speeding has nothing to do with maturity.