Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Starter Recommendations (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33568)

RisenequinoX 03-03-2011 12:41 PM

Starter Recommendations

I'm thinking i need to buy a new start for my car but before i do that...

I want to figure out why it went bad in the first place.

1. Car worked fine, started right up.
2. Installed new HID kit and went to start up car and it made a loud scrape noise.
3. ????

It just seems odd to me that it would happen like that.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend for a brand of starters.. I was looking on amazon but not sure of the quality.

Thanks.

02AleroEco 03-03-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RisenequinoX (Post 577078)
I'm thinking i need to buy a new start for my car but before i do that...

I want to figure out why it went bad in the first place.

1. Car worked fine, started right up.
2. Installed new HID kit and went to start up car and it made a loud scrape noise.
3. ????

It just seems odd to me that it would happen like that.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend for a brand of starters.. I was looking on amazon but not sure of the quality.

Thanks.

Did you look over all the connections? A random loud scrape when you start right after installing HID's. I have yet to install HID's on mine, but it sounds like when you installed it, you might have mounted the ballast to close to the belt, or fans and its now rubbing. which would cause the scrapping.

iirc the starter doesn't make a scrapping noise when going bad. Ive never dealt with a bad one, but i don't think that happens. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think you should try my first paragraph

RisenequinoX 03-03-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02AleroEco (Post 577085)
Did you look over all the connections? A random loud scrape when you start right after installing HID's. I have yet to install HID's on mine, but it sounds like when you installed it, you might have mounted the ballast to close to the belt, or fans and its now rubbing. which would cause the scrapping.

iirc the starter doesn't make a scrapping noise when going bad. Ive never dealt with a bad one, but i don't think that happens. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think you should try my first paragraph

Well the ballasts are mounted to the body/chassis/frame whatever you want to call it. Maybe its not a scraping sound but i think its the starter...

Greencoupe2.2 03-03-2011 06:00 PM

The noise was most likely from youry battery being too low when you went to start your car, theres no way your HIDs caused your starter too go bad. If it only made the noise once chances are your starters fine. A bad starter wouldnt cause your lights to flicker either.

Alerojester 03-03-2011 06:02 PM

get your alternator checked

RisenequinoX 03-03-2011 09:14 PM

well its been doing it a lot recently after the HID's were installed

Greencoupe2.2 03-03-2011 09:37 PM

It could be your alternator then, or you hids are somehow drawing power when the cars off

Alerojester 03-04-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alerojester (Post 577126)
get your alternator checked

i worked at an autoparts store try what i had said already

RisenequinoX 03-04-2011 04:05 PM

will do jester.. thanks

zzyzzx 03-04-2011 06:31 PM

Never replace a starter without getting it tested! Quite often they are replaced when it's really something else, then you have an aftermarket piece of crap part in your car.

RisenequinoX 03-05-2011 05:15 PM

I had the alternator, battery, and starter tested at my local autozone. Everything tested good... idk whats up with my car maybe it just likes to mess with me

alero_bmxer 03-05-2011 05:48 PM

take the HID's out and see if it still does it