Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thermostat (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34909)

Papa Rad17 10-11-2011 11:01 PM

Thermostat

Well, I hate to say I'll be selling my rims soon and am probably going to get the pacesetter headers and magflow high flow cat to put on. While I'm at that I want to put in a lower temp thermostat, I know a few other guys on here have them but iv been unable to find one. Any help?

Nate's Alero 10-11-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 598876)
Well, I hate to say I'll be selling my rims soon and am probably going to get the pacesetter headers and magflow high flow cat to put on. While I'm at that I want to put in a lower temp thermostat, I know a few other guys on here have them but iv been unable to find one. Any help?

There is no Alt Temp for the 2.4 That i know of, the 3.4 Has a 180*F Alt temp.

Papa Rad17 10-11-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate's Alero (Post 598879)
There is no Alt Temp for the 2.4 That i know of, the 3.4 Has a 180*F Alt temp.

This is a 2.2, anything for it? I might have been thinking of the 3400 one if not...

Nate's Alero 10-11-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 598884)
This is a 2.2, anything for it? I might have been thinking of the 3400 one if not...

Only Alt. Temp is the 3400. You don't need to change it anyways.

Papa Rad17 10-11-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate's Alero (Post 598889)
Only Alt. Temp is the 3400. You don't need to change it anyways.

I dont like it when it goes to or above the half mark on hot days... iv been told its perfectly fine, but still...

spc2125 10-11-2011 11:57 PM

why sell the rims?

Papa Rad17 10-12-2011 12:32 AM

iv decided I want a little different style and 17s instead of the 18s. he's paying me exactly what i payed him for them so I'm not really loosing anything. figuerd id take the opportunity and get exactly what I wanted.

Shiwnath 10-12-2011 08:18 AM

What temp thermostat does the supercharged/higher performance ecotecs run? I dont know much about these engines, but first find out if they're compatible with your cooling system and then find out if they're rated at a lower temp... Thats the first place I'd look.

In my opinion, if the supercharged guys with the same motor as you are running stock t-stats, then you don't really need the upgrade. Its up to you, but i think your money is best spent on other mods.. If it aint broke, dont fix it :)

Redog 10-12-2011 02:59 PM

What is the size of the thermo in there now? Typically they are all the same size

Papa Rad17 10-12-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 598934)
What is the size of the thermo in there now? Typically they are all the same size

as far as I know its still the stock one. I wasnt about to pull off the exhaust manifold just to check. so i suppose it could be sticking a little...

[ion] C2 10-12-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 598903)
iv decided I want a little different style and 17s instead of the 18s. he's paying me exactly what i payed him for them so I'm not really loosing anything. figuerd id take the opportunity and get exactly what I wanted.

Oh, I was going to ask you if you wanted to trade.

(half-serious.. kind of like how it looks)

Papa Rad17 10-12-2011 07:03 PM

I would maybe if you were closer but right not a ton a spare time and am really wanting the headers and cat. I plan on just running the stock ones till spring then hopefully get exsactly what I was wanting at the semi local tire place sale.

[ion] C2 10-12-2011 07:05 PM

i would drive all the way up to the illinois border

i forgot you were getting rid of them to replace with cash, oh well.

Redog 10-12-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 598934)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 598950)
as far as I know its still the stock one. I wasnt about to pull off the exhaust manifold just to check. so i suppose it could be sticking a little...

You totally missed my question. :eek:

What size, not what temp.

What size as in the actual size of the thermo

Papa Rad17 10-12-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 598956)
i would drive all the way up to the illinois border

i forgot you were getting rid of them to replace with cash, oh well.

ya, I deffinatly like how they look on there on though with your paint and body kit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 598967)
You totally missed my question. :eek:

What size, not what temp.

What size as in the actual size of the thermo

ooohhhhh, sorry. I actually have no idea... I have just searched for 2.2L thermos.

[ion] C2 10-12-2011 11:35 PM

On topic, don't do it. If you understood how the cooling system works you'd know lowering the temperature at which the thermostat opens will not solve any sort of overheating problem.

Papa Rad17 10-12-2011 11:38 PM

My understanding was is that would open circulation to the radiator to be cooled at a lower temp.

03glgold 10-13-2011 09:45 AM

while it opens it at a lower temp once a car is overheating it is past the temp of the stock thermostat and if the thermostat is good then it is open and you are getting the maximum circulation. I don't know how many miles your car has on it but if you have a higher number of miles and it is still running the original thermostat it came out of the factory with it could be starting to stick a little and if you are worried about it then you could replace it with the stock size while you have it apart to prevent having to do it in the future.

Redog 10-13-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 598973)
On topic, don't do it. If you understood how the cooling system works you'd know lowering the temperature at which the thermostat opens will not solve any sort of overheating problem.

True

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 598975)
My understanding was is that would open circulation to the radiator to be cooled at a lower temp.

Yes you are correct, however if you have a 195 thermo and the car is overheating and chage that to a 180 thermo, it's still going to overheat. If your having overheat issues, a $12 thermo isn't going to fix the problem, unless it's sticking.

Just looked up the thermo, it seems the OE is 180* IDK if you want to go to a 160* which is the next one down

Vic28 10-13-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiwnath (Post 598912)
What temp thermostat does the supercharged/higher performance ecotecs run? I dont know much about these engines, but first find out if they're compatible with your cooling system and then find out if they're rated at a lower temp... Thats the first place I'd look.

In my opinion, if the supercharged guys with the same motor as you are running stock t-stats, then you don't really need the upgrade. Its up to you, but i think your money is best spent on other mods.. If it aint broke, dont fix it :)

Its the same as stock one, and it doesnt even reach the half mark.:rolleyes2:

So papa just find the real issue and be done with it... make sure you dont have a bunch of garbage between radiator and a/c condenser.