Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   sub no amp? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36606)

@mgaw23 12-18-2012 10:44 PM

sub no amp?

i would like to add a little 6.5 inch sub in my car i would like to add it with my 2 6x9s on the rear deck? help me out oh and i dont wana run a amp but if i do i dont wana run a power off my battery

Shiwnath 12-19-2012 02:25 AM

You need an amp to drive a sub woofer I'm pretty sure.. I've never heard of any application in which you didn't need some sort of amplification.

Also why wouldn't you want to run the power off the battery? I have 2 12" subs running off the stock 3400 electrical system... the Ecotec charging system can easily power a 6.5" sub. Getting a separate power source isn't worth the time or money.

Greencoupe2.2 12-19-2012 02:34 AM

why not just repace your deck and your rear speakers at that point, i have a kenwood deck, no amps and kicker 6x9's in the rear and they still bump pretty hard, the factory delco speakers are shit anyway

lonnie 12-19-2012 02:56 PM

You are going to need an amp, and a line output converter.

brickkk 12-19-2012 03:46 PM

you can just connect red on positive and black on negative if you dotn want an amp but you will blow you sub pretty fast with no amps and it wont make good sound at all , and how would you want to power the amp if not from the battery ?

fyi : i am rocking 3 12 inch with a 1000w rms amp on stock battery and electrical system with absolutly no problems , i need to run the car to listen to it tho :)

sleepyalero 12-19-2012 04:49 PM

Do your lights dim? Might help if you added a capacitor.

billytheman1188 12-19-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629552)

Flux capacitor? I heard they work great!

DJx79x 12-19-2012 10:16 PM

I had 2 12's without an amp for like 3 months and they were fine and my lights used to dim aswell but I wouldn't recommend it its definitely better to have an amp

sleepyalero 12-20-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 629564)
Flux capacitor? I heard they work great!

Yeah, basically like a second battery holds a charge then jolts it to the power system when it senses the car needs it.

Nas Escobar 12-20-2012 06:02 PM

The only subs I know of that don't require any sort of amp are the Bazooka subs. Those, you simply hook up to the battery or the remote turn on lead IIRC and you'll need the RCA cables for them. The only thing about Bazooka subs is that they don't hit hard because they're in a "NOS" bottle looking tube. It's better to get a sub box, and get the 10/12s to get a nice thumping sound system.

Also for the record, our cars can handle up to 2 gauge pretty well. I have a Boston Acoustics amp that's pushing out 900 watts RMS to 2 12 Alpines. They thump really hard and don't drain the battery. That amp uses a 4 gauge wiring set up.

Truthfully, go for it. You'll be glad you did. Also, use your resources. I have a system in my car that's nothing but savings. Only spent $500 on the whole thing. A big chunk of that was the amp, but the amp I have is worth $400 alone. I got it more than half off brand new online hahaha

short_circutz 12-29-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629552)

Capacitors are the biggest rip off brought out for auto sound.

If you need or desire more reserve power, you're better off to use a motorcycle battery instead, or other similar sized battery. Use the largest conductors you can for the amp's current draw to prevent current loss through cabling resistance.

sleepyalero 12-29-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by short_circutz (Post 629942)
Capacitors are the biggest rip off brought out for auto sound.

If you need or desire more reserve power, you're better off to use a motorcycle battery instead, or other similar sized battery. Use the largest conductors you can for the amp's current draw to prevent current loss through cabling resistance.

How? You get one with many ferrets it does well, tons of people use them.

short_circutz 12-29-2012 06:23 PM

You can get a longer duration of additional current to your amplifier from an auxiliary battery than you can a capacitor.

sleepyalero 12-29-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by short_circutz (Post 629954)
You can get a longer duration of additional current to your amplifier from an auxiliary battery than you can a capacitor.

I will 90% agree with that because seeing the digital reader on one fluctuate a lot while playing subs.